× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Something is preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the ReadyCLOUD server

coachbear12
Aspirant

Something is preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the ReadyCLOUD server

Previously was able to access my NAS via ReadyCLOUD, but now it says its not connected and when I try to connect it keeps giving me the error "Something is preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the ReadyCLOUD server".

I have searched for answers but am yet to get it to work.

Please help.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Re: Something is preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the ReadyCLOUD server

@coachbear12 wrote:

Previously was able to access my NAS via ReadyCLOUD, but now it says its not connected and when I try to connect it keeps giving me the error "Something is preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the ReadyCLOUD server".

Are you seeing the two green checkmarks on the cloud page of the ReadyNAS web ui?

What firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

On the cloud page I can only see one green tick saying Internet Available.

Firmware is 6.10.4 Hotfix 1

Message 3 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@coachbear12 wrote:

On the cloud page I can only see one green tick saying Internet Available.

Firmware is 6.10.4 Hotfix 1

Is the ReadyCloud app turned on? 

Assuming it is, I'd start by rebooting the NAS and see if the ReadyCloud check returns.  If it doesn't I'd try toggling the ReadyCloud service on and off.

Message 4 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

No the ReadyCLOUD sevice is not turned on, when I try and turn it on thats when I get the message: "Something is preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the ReadyCLOUD server"

That is the problem. I have restarted multiple times and nothing changes.

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@coachbear12 wrote:

No the ReadyCLOUD sevice is not turned on, when I try and turn it on thats when I get the message: "Something is preventing the ReadyNAS from connecting to the ReadyCLOUD server"

Has anything changed with your router setup?

One thing you could try is rebooting the router.

Message 6 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

No nothing has changed with the router, I have opened up the ports for it. Having no luck.

Message 7 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

Have also reset the router, still nothing

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

You could try switching to a different port in the ReadyCloud settings. Another thing that might work is leaving ReadyCloud and then rejoining.

The only other thing I can suggest is seeing if Netgear ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) is willing to take a look at your logs.

There are other ways to get the services offered by ReadyCloud - personally I use the OpenVPN facility in my router instead.  ZeroTier is another VPN option ( @Sandshark uses that).

The sharing services are similar to NextCloud - which you can get for a nominal cost from rnxtras.com.

Message 9 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

I've never messed around with VPNs so wouldnt know where to start. This used to be such an easy option.

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@coachbear12 wrote:

I've never messed around with VPNs so wouldnt know where to start. 

What router model do you have?  Does it include OpenVPN?  Netgear Nighthawks and Orbis have it built in.

@coachbear12 wrote:

This used to be such an easy option.

My experience (some years back now) was hit-or-miss, so I stopped using it.  All I am looking for is remote access (not sharing), and I personally think a VPN is the best option for that.

Message 11 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

I mostly want it for remote access too.

Router is a TP Link Archer VR1600v

Message 12 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

How do I change the port on ReadyCLOUD?

Message 13 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@coachbear12 wrote:

Look in settings (which appears when ReadyCloud is turned on in the app page).

@coachbear12 wrote:

It also has OpenVPN built in, but isn't as easy to configure as Netgear's.  But there does appear to be a good writeup in chapter 10 of the user guide: https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201907/20190731/1910020873_Archer%C2%A0VR1600v(AU)_UG_V1.0.1.pdf

To use it, you also need DDNS - which is in section 11.4 of the manual. NoIP offers free DDNS account, but you do need to confirm it once a month.  They send you an email, so it isn't difficult.

Message 14 of 15
coachbear12
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@coachbear12 wrote:

Look in settings (which appears when ReadyCloud is turned on in the app page).

I can't even turn ReadyCLOUD on through the NAS, thats when I am getting the message it can't connect.

@coachbear12 wrote:

It also has OpenVPN built in, but isn't as easy to configure as Netgear's.  But there does appear to be a good writeup in chapter 10 of the user guide: https://static.tp-link.com/2019/201907/20190731/1910020873_Archer%C2%A0VR1600v(AU)_UG_V1.0.1.pdf

To use it, you also need DDNS - which is in section 11.4 of the manual. NoIP offers free DDNS account, but you do need to confirm it once a month.  They send you an email, so it isn't difficult.

Thanks, I will have a look into this.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements