× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Something odd happened to share permissions

Sandshark
Sensei

Something odd happened to share permissions

So, something odd has happened to the permissions for most, but not all, of my shares.  I did nothing to cause this that I know of. And the results using them are the same on all my computers.  I'm running 6.9.5 Hottfix 1, and have been for some time.

In SSH, ls -all shows this:

d------r-x+ 1 guest guest 244 Apr 9 22:57 Pictures

instead of this:

drwxrwxrwx+ 1 guest guest 252 May 19 20:46 Pics2

The permissions in the GUI seem to reflect the same.  I can read from them using my standard user and the admin account, but write only via the admin account.

So, I went into the GUI and gave Everyone write permission:

d------rwx+ 1 guest guest 244 Apr 9 22:57 Pictures

And it gets more weird.  If I create a new folder in a share suffering from this issue, Windows complains that I need permission, creates two folders, and then I can't open either folder.   So I reset permissions on one share to see what that would do.  Now I can access the folders I created before, but anything new still causes me to create the duplicate folders but not be able to access them.  The permissions look the same in SSH as before.

Given the + at the end of the permissions, I'm relucatant to just go in and use SSH to set the permissions right.

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Something odd happened to share permissions

Weird and of course concerning.  I just checked my primary NAS and I'm not seeing this.  It's running 6.10.0 hotfix 2.

Are permissions set correctly on new shares?

Also, have you compared the acl with getfacl?

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Something odd happened to share permissions

@StephenB wrote:

Weird and of course concerning.  I just checked my primary NAS and I'm not seeing this.  It's running 6.10.0 hotfix 2.

Are permissions set correctly on new shares?

Also, have you compared the acl with getfacl?

The Pics2 share shown above is a new one I created after the problem started, so all if fine with newly created shares.

I'm not familiar with getfacl.  I guess I need to become so.

The only thng that has happened with the NAS that was unusual is that my EDA500 shares became read-only for a while.  In physically moving things around (with power off), the eSATA cable became partly loose and errors caused it to be declared read-only.  I found and corrected the cable issue, and all has been fine since.  At least, till I discovered this.  I don't think they occurred at the same time, but I don't know for sure.  But most of the affected shares are not on the EDA500.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements