× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sonos cant connect to readynas Pro 4

TMcL
Tutor

Sonos cant connect to readynas Pro 4

Getting Nas won’t allow Sonos to connect error.
Sonos tried for an hour to help but gave up.
I have messed around with shares and permissions beyond my comfort zone.
Will the Pro4 using xraid and radiator support the Sonos? OR shoyld I buy new NAS in which case - which one? (Need 20 TB; 10-12 users; prefer 4 bay minimum for raid backup).
FYI I’ve used my ReadyNas Pro 4 - xraid 2 - raidiator 4.2.31 for years with my squeeze duet, radios etc.
My duet truly died - i went way beyond my comfort zone testing internal power stuff on it. It’s dead. Hence the new Sonos connect.
Thank you all in advance!
TMcL
Model: ReadyNASRNDP4410D|ReadyNAS Pro 4 4TB (4 x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Sonos cant connect to readynas Pro 4

Your product guide is here: https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fconnect%2Fconnect....

Instructions for playing media via DLNA is here: https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fmusic-sources%2Fmu...

Are you able to access your media when you enter \\192.168.1.66 in the file explorer address bar?  Note I am assuming that is the IP address of the NAS (not the Sonus Connect).

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 10

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

As far as I can tell, Sonos uses SMB 1.0 to connect to NAS.   That should be working, since the Pro-4 supports SMB 1.0 (in fact it's the only SMB 1.0 protocol it uses).

Based on a quick read of the Sonos forum you need to 

(a) Set the Pro-4 share to default access of read/write

(b) set the Pro-4 share to allow guest access

Then mount the share on the Sonos using \\nas-ip-address\sharename (using the real IP address of the NAS).

Is that what you did?

Message 2 of 10
TMcL
Tutor

Close.
Pro4 is default read write.
Share is read write with guest access.
The share is already created because I’ve used it for years and years with my squeezebox duet.
I do not know if the share is public or not. I can’t figure out how to tell. It definitely has guest access enabled.

I created a new PUBLIC share “media13”
Have guest access enabled.
I cut and pasted the path
\\Nas-A2-...\media13
And put one song in it and pointed to it but still receive same error. [Readynasname] won’t allow Sonos to connect.
Makes me think it is a readynas security issue.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP4410|ReadyNAS Pro 4
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Try using the IP address instead of the host name.

Also, if the Sonos allows you to enter account credentials for the share, try using "admin" and the NAS admin password.

Another step you can try - if you click on the "advance options" tab, you'll see a checkbox with this text:

Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings. This option is useful in cases where you are changing security levels and need to workaround file access problems.

Try checking that box, and clicking "apply" on the bottom right.  The check box will immediately clear, and the file permissions will be reset in the background.  That should happen near-instantly on your new test share.

BTW, your Sonos also supports UPnP/DLNA.  So you could also try enabling ReadyDLNA on the NAS.  That would be done on the system->services->streaming services page of the NAS web ui.

Message 4 of 10
TMcL
Tutor

Thank you for all your help.

I guess teh subject should really say

"Computer "xyz" won't allow Sonos to connect."

Here is the data from my Front view screen and I have attached a partial screen print of my network file structure so I can be sure I am using correct information. 

Here is what my FrontView shows:

Hostname:                          Nas-A9-C2-86

Model:                                ReadyNAS Pro 4 [X-RAID2]

Serial:                                  2HU5340H00A65

Firmware:                            RAIDiator 4.2.31 

Memory:                             1024 MB [DDR2]

IPv4 address: 1:                192.168.1.66

IPv4 address: 2:                  Not Connected

Volume C:                          Online, X-RAID2, 4 disks, 69% of 2765 GB used

I've been assuming hostname is Nas-A9-C2-86 not the Nas-A9-C2-86: ReadyNAS Pro 4 shown on my windows file explorer... but I tried both to no avail.

"Try using the IP address instead of the host name."

I tried but can't get ip address recognized - I have read others enter the ip for sonos.

I enter \\192.168.1.66\mediasonos    and click next - I try with and without admin userid and password and receive same error 

Computer "192.168.1.66" refused to let Sonos connect to it.  

Also, if the Sonos allows you to enter account credentials for the share, try using "admin" and the NAS admin password.

Same erros ooth ways - double checked the pw - I have it right.

Another step you can try - if you click on the "advance options" tab, you'll see a checkbox with this text:

Set ownership and permission for existing files and folders in this share to the above settings. This option is useful in cases where you are changing security levels and need to workaround file access problems.

Try checking that box, and clicking "apply" on the bottom right.  The check box will immediately clear, and the file permissions will be reset in the background.  That should happen near-instantly on your new test share.

Did this - not sure if I have to do it for every object? just did it once but same error. 

BTW, your Sonos also supports UPnP/DLNA.  So you could also try enabling ReadyDLNA on the NAS.  That would be done on the system->services->streaming services page of the NAS web ui.

Downloaded ReadyDLNA onto NAS and installed it. Log shows installed.

Sonos still can't connect - or do I use it someother way? via a different app selecting sonos as player maybe? if so ... which app? 

I am close to either:

1. buying new NAS and transferring music and photos and using this as backup, but I don't want to run into what I have read as the dreaded SMB problem; or

2. (most likely) returning sonos, buying a "new" duet and continuing the IPeng/squeezebox way. I am so tired of pushing beyond my tech abilities. I just want it to WORK! 

Any other suggestions I am open. 

Thank you!!!  

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@TMcL wrote:

Sonos still can't connect - or do I use it someother way? via a different app selecting sonos as player maybe? if so ... which app? 

It would be a different way with the Sonos hardware  - media player instead of network share perhaps)??

@TMcL wrote:

"Computer "xyz" won't allow Sonos to connect."

Now I am confused.  I was assuming you had Sonos hardware - is that the case?  If so, then what Sonos stuff do you actually have?

If your issue is getting a Windows PC or a Mac to connect to the NAS shares (via file explorer or finder) - then please let us know what operating system is running on the PC/Mac.  In the specific case of Windows 10, you also need to enable the SMB 1.0 client on the PC.  There are other troubleshooting steps we can try on a PC.

Message 6 of 10
TMcL
Tutor

I have a Sonos Connect - brand new out of box last week. All firmware updated. 

Attached to my Amp.

Ideally the sonos connects to my ReadyNAS on my network and I use an app on my iphone or ipad and never have to use my laptop to play music. But when using my iThing to connect the sonos to my ReadyNas music directory, I received "The computer "Nas-A9-C2-86" will not allow the Sonos to connect."

And because the iphone screen is small and my eyes are old and my fingers fat... I decided to use my laptop to connect the Sonos to the music directory. So I downloaded the sonos software to my laptop (HP Windows 7) and receive the exact same error. 

(as well as teh error "The computer "192.168.1.66" will not allow the Sonos to connect." when I try to use the IP of the sonos on my network.)

I have an ATT Modem Router ARRIS BGW210-700

What other info might help?

Thanks, T

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Your product guide is here: https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fconnect%2Fconnect....

Instructions for playing media via DLNA is here: https://www.sonos.com/support/en/sonos-user-guide/index.html#t=sonos-user-guide%2Fmusic-sources%2Fmu...

Are you able to access your media when you enter \\192.168.1.66 in the file explorer address bar?  Note I am assuming that is the IP address of the NAS (not the Sonus Connect).

Message 8 of 10
TMcL
Tutor

192.168.1.66  is the ReadyNas (not the Sonos)

I am going to have to take a break from this for a bit. 

Some time today while trying to update the securtiy settings or something I made a mistake and a brown out occured. Currently I am able to login to FrontView but can no longer see the files on the NAS. This morning I could (I even copied some mp4s to my test share meidasonos). 

In fact in just the last 5 minutes I can no longer getinto frontview. 

I'll get back to you.

Thanks

Tevia

Message 9 of 10
TMcL
Tutor

Thanks so much. Im marking this as solved as your tips helped me get out of a hole - AND pointed out new problems which I will open in new thread (now netgear media is available to Sonos and Squeezebox but my laptop CANT see the folders. ha)

Thanks Stephen!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements