× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Source cannot be mounted on the system RN422

ggmasluka
Tutor

Source cannot be mounted on the system RN422

I trying a bsckup job from my Windows 10 pro pc to my readynas RN422, fails every time.

Shared the whole partition with everyone, tried the Windows sharing with and without password.

set remote to: remote windows/NAS (timestamp)

host: host name or ip

share: partition letter /D 

When trying to test connection I get error: 7077010013 access denied

If I ignore it and go ahead anyway I get:

Backup Job Name: job_001
Backup Job Type: Full
Protocol: cifs
Backup Source: [remote:cifs]///192.168.1.11/D
Backup Destination: [DocumentsBackup]/
Backup Start Time: Tue Jul 07 2020 9:35:31 AM
Backup Finish Time: Tue Jul 07 2020 9:35:31 AM
Backup Status: Fail: Source cannot be mounted on the system.

Failed to mount remote path //192.168.1.11/D!

Cannot access remote, no matter what I do. please advise.

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+ (chassis only)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Source cannot be mounted on the system RN422

"Everyone" means everyone with an account on that PC unless you have expressly enabled guest access (which Microsoft is locking down).  Did you input a valid user name and password?  I believe there is also a problem with some Microsoft account names being too long, if that's what you use on the PC.  If the PC is set up without a password for the user, it's also not going to work.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

"Everyone" means everyone with an account on that PC unless you have expressly enabled guest access (which Microsoft is locking down).  Did you input a valid user name and password?  I believe there is also a problem with some Microsoft account names being too long, if that's what you use on the PC.  If the PC is set up without a password for the user, it's also not going to work.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ggmasluka wrote:

I trying a bsckup job from my Windows 10 pro pc to my readynas RN422, fails every time.

Shared the whole partition with everyone, tried the Windows sharing with and without password.

Personally I recommend doing this a different way.  That is to run backup software on the PC that backs up to a NAS network share.  I do this myself with Acronis Trueimage, but there are several free options also (including FreeFileSync).  Many let you run backups on a schedule, including booting up the PC to run the backup.

But if you want to run this from the NAS, then one next step is to confirm that you can access the PC share from another PC.

In Windows (like the NAS), you have network access controls and file access permissions.  Both need to be set correctly to allow the NAS to access the PC.  You should use a PC logon/password in the NAS backup job.  I don't believe you can use a microsoft account (email-style) logon for this. You can create a user account on the PC for this.

Message 3 of 11
ggmasluka
Tutor

@Sandshark wrote:

Thank you for the answer. Am I to understand that my microsoft user that is too long has to be changed to a short one, or should I change to a local user?

Message 4 of 11
ggmasluka
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@ggmasluka wrote:

Personally I recommend doing this a different way.  That is to run backup software on the PC that backs up to a NAS network share.  I do this myself with Acronis Trueimage, but there are several free options also (including FreeFileSync).  Many let you run backups on a schedule, including booting up the PC to run the backup.

But if you want to run this from the NAS, then one next step is to confirm that you can access the PC share from another PC.

In Windows (like the NAS), you have network access controls and file access permissions.  Both need to be set correctly to allow the NAS to access the PC.  You should use a PC logon/password in the NAS backup job.  I don't believe you can use a microsoft account (email-style) logon for this. You can create a user account on the PC for this.

Thanks for the answer, I will try you suggestions. is the quick way to change my Windows user from a long to a short one, or should I change to a local user?

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ggmasluka wrote:

Thank you for the answer. Am I to understand that my microsoft user that is too long has to be changed to a short one, or should I change to a local user?

At one point you couldn't use an email-style username in a ReadyNAS backup job.  I'm not sure if that is still the case or not.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ggmasluka wrote:

Thanks for the answer, I will try you suggestions. is the quick way to change my Windows user from a long to a short one, or should I change to a local user?

You can just create a new user account (leaving your main account alone).  Then make sure that account has access to the PC share and also the appropriate file permissions.

Message 7 of 11
ggmasluka
Tutor

Thanks. I couldn't find a way to make FreeFileSync find my readynas, do you know on an explanation online how to.

Message 8 of 11
ggmasluka
Tutor

I first tried to use my 2 other microsoft account aliases which are 9 & 10 charachters long, shorter than the email (13) and it didn't work.

I than changed my account to a local type with a simple 5 charachter user and password and it worked like a charm.

Thank you @StephenB @Sandshark for your input, it helped a lot.

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+ (chassis only)
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ggmasluka wrote:

Thanks. I couldn't find a way to make FreeFileSync find my readynas, do you know on an explanation online how to.

You should be able to manually enter the IP address (or hostname).  Though I'm not certain how to do that (since my own backups use Acronis TrueImage).

Message 10 of 11
ggmasluka
Tutor

Fiddeled around and found it. Nice to have as an alternative. Thank you.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements