× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Spurious UPS Alert?

STX1300MAN
Star

Spurious UPS Alert?

My first post on the forum, though been a lurker for sometime 🙂

I have installed a ReadyNAS Duo for a small office and also supplied an APC UPS BK350EI (a.k.a. CS-350)

Everything is working fine however two weeks after the UPS was installed I have received an email alert:-

UPS battery error. Please replace the battery

The strange thing is the UPS front panel "Replace Battery" LED is not lit.

Has anyone had problems with similar spurious/strange UPS alerts?
Message 1 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Spurious UPS Alert?

What version of RAIDiator?

What battery runtime is reported for the UPS under Status > Health in Frontview?

I think it is possible that the UPS battery needs replacing. You might want to hook the UPS up to a PC and run some diagnostics on the UPS using Powerchute.

Your UPS isn't on the HCL so I guess it's also possible that there's a compatibility issue.
Message 2 of 11
STX1300MAN
Star

What version of RAIDiator?

What battery runtime is reported for the UPS under Status > Health in Frontview?

100% 75 Minutes BUT Status shows as "Out of Spec"

I think it is possible that the UPS battery needs replacing. You might want to hook the UPS up to a PC and run some diagnostics on the UPS using Powerchute.

The UPS is only 2 weeks old so I'd hope the battery is OK, but you never know. I bought two of these UPS and the second was DOA.

Your UPS isn't on the HCL so I guess it's also possible that there's a compatibility issue.

No it's not, but the CS650 is (same family / carcase) and a few people have reported the model I am using as OK in the Community HCL.

-----------------------------------------------

Well, I shut everything down and restarted the UPS (which tests the battery) and no error reported.

Restarted the ReadyNAS Duo and the UPS Status is now OK.

Hopefully it was a communication glitch in the monitoring, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Message 3 of 11
sphardy1
Apprentice

@STX1300MAN - I've occasionally seen the same "Out of spec" message reported with my APC UPS. A NAS reboot has *always* corrected it.

I've typically seen it when unplugging the UPS temporarily (usually by mistake when trying to unplug a USB drive) so there appears to be some occasional issue when reconnecting the UPS, but so infrequent I have just lived with it - maybe you're seeing something similar?

Did you touch the connection at all - perhaps a brief disconnection as you did some other work at the back of the NAS that could have triggered the problem?
Message 4 of 11
rudolffischer
Aspirant

Hi all,
I use an APC CS-650 on my ReadyNAS NV and I am seeing the apparently well knows "out of spec" error message regularly. Frontview reports Battery Charge 100%, 27 Minutes.
If I shut down the ReadyNAS and restart both the APC and the ReadyNAS, Frontview does not report any error message any more. However, quite exactly 14 days later, the "out of spec" error comes back every time. Nothing severe seems to happen (haven't tried turnung off the house power to see whether the UPS picks up), but the error is annoying.
Is this error officialy on some bug list and is there a resolution in sight?
Thanks and best regards
Rudi
Message 5 of 11
alexls
Aspirant

Hi.

Same UPS (CS-650), same error (UPS battery error) on NV+. Performing a health check using PowerChute on Windows reveals that there is no problem, which is as expected with a UPS that's only a couple of months old.
Message 6 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

rudolffischer wrote:
exactly 14 days later

That suggests the UPS is perhaps doing something every 2 weeks that causes a problem. Maybe there's a compatibility issue with a self-test or something like that.
Message 7 of 11
alexls
Aspirant

Well, in my case:

UPS battery error. Please replace the battery.
[Fri Jul 15 19:45:00 WEST 2011]

UPS battery error. Please replace the battery.
[Tue Jul 19 02:24:30 WEST 2011]
Message 8 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try connecting the UPS to a PC for a few weeks and see if you have a problem.
Message 9 of 11
AdrianM
Tutor

As Friday 13th was approaching, I finally decided as a new year's resolution to buy a UPS for my trusty old ReadyNAS Duo and dug through these forums for some guidance.

I think it's fair to say that UPS compatability issues are in a bit of a mess here. The official "List" links back to the community forum which is not structured as a list, but as a pool of conversations about various issues with different models of UPS. Not being able to translate any of this into a straightforward recommendation I switched to Googling "readynas hardware compatibility list" and found a page on readynas.com listing UPS models as either compatible or incompatible: http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=92

As this is the kind of list that's required to make a purchase and it was hosted on the official pages I went ahead and used it to select an APC Back-UPS CS 650 - after double-checking with the community forum where I found posts reporting that it was working fine: (e.g. viewtopic.php?f=88&t=32897&p=295767&hilit=CS+650#p295767 )

Now I find that I too am getting spurious alerts (See details in the Community Hardware Compatibility List ‹ UPS ‹ APC)
Message 10 of 11
jwanscher
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same issue every time we change the UPS battery (approximately once every year). I unplug the USB connection to the UPS and wait for the health screen to switch UPS status to "not present" and then plug it back in. When the UPS is redetected the status is "ok"

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6310|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements