× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Startup issue and access lost (shares + frontview) on RNDU2000 OS6 (Ultra 2)

ILoveYou
Aspirant

Startup issue and access lost (shares + frontview) on RNDU2000 OS6 (Ultra 2)

Hello,

I use a readynas Ultra2 RNDU2000 with OS 6.10.8 + 2 HDD 8To Raid 1.

I have an issue for a few days. I can no longer access the NAS, neither via the shares (SMB) nor via Frontview.

I noticed the device answers to ping, starts up but can't be shut down in the normal way (by pressing twice the start button: you have to do a forced shutdown with a long press).

I first thought it was a memory issue (upgraded to 2GB) but I have an old set of 3TB disks (before upgrading to 8TB) which enabled me to check that the NAS was working properly (reboot and normal operation with the 3TB disks).

I've done some research on the community posts and suppose the system disk is full:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-system-partition-OS-storag...

I would like to access the system partition to delete the log folders /var/syslog /var/messages /var/user.log as done here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Utiliser-votre-ReadyNAS/FrontView-plant%C3%A9-plus-acc%C3%A8s-aux-f...

The problem is that SSH is not active.

So I see 3 options for accessing the system partition:

1- remove the disks, mount them on a linux distribution (I have Ubuntu USB version), clean the disk: The problem is that when I do this I can't mount the disks. I don't know enough about Linux. I tried with mdadm but it didn't work => Does anyone have a clear procedure for accessing at least the system partition?

I found this but it's not clear enough to me: https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/problems-mounting-partition-from-a-linux-rai...

2- SSH access via the tech support boot menu, clean directories using command lines: in theory this seems possible:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Enable-rsync-ssh-frontview-from-tec...

but once I've started up in tech support mode, I can't connect via SSH (connection refused) nor Telnet (incorrect login) nor frontview (service not started ?) => does anyone know how to connect and activate SSH using tech support mode?

3- Downgrade the system, restart frontview, activate SSH (system + user), clean directories using SSH: The 6.10.0 image is 15% smaller than 6.10.8. My hope was that is will free up enough space to launch Frontview and activate SSH. Unfortunately it didnt work  😞 [I only get the frontview connection page... ] and by the way the system is now 6.10.0

https://kb.netgear.com/000060716/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-0

https://kb.netgear.com/000065653/ReadyNAS-OS-Software-Version-6-10-9

Can one community member help me on one of these points or has another idea on how to solve my issue ???
Thanks very much in advance !!!

Fred

(nota : posted in french here  : https://community.netgear.com/t5/Utiliser-votre-ReadyNAS/Plus-d-acces-NAS-partages-frontview-sur-RND... ; I will keep both subject up to date and share improvments)

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Startup issue and access lost (shares + frontview) on RNDU2000 OS6 (Ultra 2)

You might want to try using RAIDar to check the status with the 8 TB disks installed:

@ILoveYou wrote:

I've done some research on the community posts and suppose the system disk is full:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-system-partition-OS-storag...

That is a possibility, though it is possible something else is going on.

Did you try booting up the system with just disk 2 installed (leaving slot 1 empty)?

@ILoveYou wrote:

1- remove the disks, mount them on a linux distribution (I have Ubuntu USB version), clean the disk: The problem is that when I do this I can't mount the disks. I don't know enough about Linux. I tried with mdadm but it didn't work => Does anyone have a clear procedure for accessing at least the system partition?

Note you also need to install btrfs on Ubuntu.

Instructions for data volume access depend a bit on the expansion history - when you converted to OS-6, did you start with 2x8 TB, or something smaller?

Note the OS partition is a fixed size, so that wouldn't depend on the expansion history.

@ILoveYou wrote:

2- SSH access via the tech support boot menu, clean directories using command lines: in theory this seems possible:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Enable-rsync-ssh-frontview-from-tec...

but once I've started up in tech support mode, I can't connect via SSH (connection refused) nor Telnet (incorrect login)

Tech support mode requires telnet, not ssh.  The user name is root, the password is infr8ntdebug 

You will need more info to troubleshoot (starting raid, etc) - you can post back once you've sorted out the access problem.

Message 2 of 7
ILoveYou
Aspirant

Re: Startup issue and access lost (shares + frontview) on RNDU2000 OS6 (Ultra 2)

Hello @StephenB !

Very nice to read you as I saw in other topic that you are usually a great help !!!!

(sorry, I don't understand how quote works..)

"You might want to try using RAIDar to check the status with the 8 TB disks installed:"

Nor Raidar 4.3.8 nor 6.5.0 can detect the NAS. I assume this was due to fact that IP different of the default one are assigned.

"Instructions for data volume access depend a bit on the expansion history - when you converted to OS-6, did you start with 2x8 TB, or something smaller?"

Regarding 8To disk they are in place since oct 2019 and no issue during nearly 4 years (Seagate Ironwolf ST8000VN0022). Installed on OS6 from new after the Raid1 of 3To crashed. I did not expand the system but installed directly the 2x 8To and copy the data from a 3To Backup (not from the disk remaining from raid).

"Did you try booting up the system with just disk 2 installed (leaving slot 1 empty)?"

I didn't know that was possible without creating hazard in the HDD link.

I just tried : Slot 1 empty then slot 2 empty : it is the same : frontview unavailable and shares unavailalbe under Windows.

"Tech support mode requires telnet, not ssh. The user name is root, the password is infr8ntdebug "

Thank yo for that high value information ! 😄

So I connect through telnet.

all disks can be seen (see picture) unfortunatly it seems the units are not out of space...

root@2PG4220xxxxxx:/# df -h
Filesystem   Size     Used    Avai   l Use%    Mounted on
/dev/md0     4.0G    646M   3.0G      18%        /
udev             10M        0       10M       0%         /dev
tmpfs            999M       0      999M     0%        /run

root@2PG4220xxxxxx:/# df -i
Filesystem   Inodes    IUsed   IFree   IUse%    Mounted on
/dev/md0            0            0          0          -           /
udev             254835     172    254663    1%       /dev
tmpfs             255490        4     255486    1%      /run

note : I didn't mount any unit, just use basic command rnutil chroot / lsblk / df.
I run "find . -type f -size +100M" and I found 3 files with size equals to disk size in /var/backups/md/tmp/

Don't know if it is normal or not; I didn't delete/overwrite htese files these files (see botom of screenshot).

Let me know which command you think wil lbe usefull to run...

"That is a possibility, though it is possible something else is going on."

Do you have an idea of what could have happen ?

First issues appear while I was synchronising a large batch of photo to the nas for storage (copy from a software on windows to the share mapped in the system).

Thanks again for support !

(note: I wrote this answer earlier today and seems to me I posted it. Could it be that my previous message has been deleted by an administrator without notice ?)

Message 3 of 7
ILoveYou
Aspirant

(My reply is automatically deleted ; I have a copy/paste. I will try again tomorrow...)

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ILoveYou wrote:

"You might want to try using RAIDar to check the status with the 8 TB disks installed:"

Nor Raidar 4.3.8 nor 6.5.0 can detect the NAS. I assume this was due to fact that IP different of the default one are assigned.

No, that's not it.  RAIDar use a discovery protocol that will find the NAS even if the IP address is misconfigured.

If you have internet security software on the PC, that might have blocked discovery.

@ILoveYou wrote:

note : I didn't mount any unit, just use basic command rnutil chroot / lsblk / df.

rnutil chroot will start RAID and mount the OS partition (which is /dev/md0)

@ILoveYou wrote:

I run "find . -type f -size +100M" and I found 3 files with size equals to disk size in /var/backups/md/tmp/

Don't know if it is normal or not; I didn't delete/overwrite htese files these files (see botom of screenshot).

Not normal  - the /var/backups/md/tmp folder doesn't exist on my NAS.

@ILoveYou wrote:

"That is a possibility, though it is possible something else is going on."

Do you have an idea of what could have happen ?

First issues appear while I was synchronising a large batch of photo to the nas for storage (copy from a software on windows to the share mapped in the system).

Hard to say without logs. Does 

rnutil create_system_log -o filename.zip​

create a log zip?

One option is to do a factory reset.  That of course will destroy the data.  Do you have a backup?

@ILoveYou wrote:

(note: I wrote this answer earlier today and seems to me I posted it. Could it be that my previous message has been deleted by an administrator without notice ?)

There's an automatic spam filter that triggered.

Message 5 of 7
ILoveYou
Aspirant

Hello @StephenB  !!!!

Thanks again for your help !

"If you have internet security software on the PC, that might have blocked discovery."

You are right ! I disabled the antivirus (Avast) and Firewall (Comodo) and test again with raidar.

NAS was on, and nothing was detected.

Nevertheless, I notice that strange bahaviour : I restarded the Nas and by chance Raidar was on and I saw that during the startup phase the NAS is correctly detected. Once the system is on the NAS cannot be seen anymore. See screenchot attached

"Not normal - the /var/backups/md/tmp folder doesn't exist on my NAS."

After restart this morning these directories / files have gone. No more file over 100 Mg

"Hard to say without logs."

File log is produced.

I get the following errors :

root@2PG42xxxxx:/var/log# rnutil create_system_log -o TMPlog.zip
Failure (dbus fatal exception).
Error: Connection failure: Connection refused
sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.all.stable_secret"
sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.default.stable_secret"
sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.eth0.stable_secret"
sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.eth1.stable_secret"
sysctl: reading key "net.ipv6.conf.lo.stable_secret"
Running in chroot, ignoring request.
system log TMPlog.zip created successfully

Do I send them by PM ?

"One option is to do a factory reset. That of course will destroy the data. Do you have a backup?"

Of course I have a backup of the day of the access was lost, but better if we can make this one work (first for question of system reliability assesment and second for a question of time as reinstall from zero will be very time consuming (not sure if the configuration export is up to date...)).

Thanks for again your support !

Fred

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@ILoveYou wrote:

Do I send them by PM ?

That would be helpful.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements