× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Storm Control kills my NAS connectivity

Philein
Aspirant

Storm Control kills my NAS connectivity

Hi everyone

I'm trying to improve my SO intranet. I noticed the storm control on my 3 Netgear Switches was off, so i turned it on. 

Everything's fine except it kills my local NAS connectivity. It becomes really slow and then it stucks (i need to force reboot my NAS to reach it again).

I set the storm control for all the ports, with Broadcast, unicast and unknown traffic filters and a Threshold of 50%.

If i understand correctly this should work only on storm traffic and not on regular traffic (id. for example the LAN traffic to the NAS)

What could be wrong?

Model: GS752TP|ProSafe 48 ports PoE Smart switch with 8 PoE+ ports
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Storm Control kills my NAS connectivity

@Philein wrote:

If i understand correctly this should work only on storm traffic and not on regular traffic (id. for example the LAN traffic to the NAS)

Well, it seems to be doing more than that. 

Do you have any evidence that there are traffic storms on your network?  e.g., network outages or dropped packets in the switch with storm control turned off?

Have you compared the traffic loss statistics in the NAS with the feature enabled/disabled in the switches?

Personally I just leave it off.  But you might try just turning off the unknown unicast storm control and see if that resolves the problem.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements