× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Strange Samba Logs

steveoelliott
Luminary

Strange Samba Logs

Hi,

I've recently noticed these repeated in logs over and over again, sometimes for hours on end:

May 22 10:09:00 DESPAIR smbd[31430]: [2019/05/22 10:09:00.923582, 0] ../source3/rpc_server/svcctl/srv_svcctl_nt.c:326(_svcctl_OpenServiceW)
May 22 10:09:01 DESPAIR smbd[31430]: _svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_
svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid secur
ity descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to ge
t a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenService
W: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenServiceW: Failed to get a valid security descriptor_svcctl_OpenS
May 22 10:09:01 DESPAIR smbd[31430]: +>

I have not noticed anything untoward but the logs indicate something awry allbeit with no real detail.

Model: RN526X|ReadyNAS 526X – 6 Bays with up to 60TB total storage
Message 1 of 3
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Are you joined to a domain? svcctl seems to be related to rpc_server in samba, which is domain related. Perhaps something in your network is constantly nagging samba with invalid security settings? You can try manually debugging it using `smbcontrol smbd debug 10` and tracking it more closely when it happens.  Return to 0 to disable debug logging.

Message 2 of 3
steveoelliott
Luminary

Interestingly I could find very little when searching those logs on Google... As far as I know there is no domain configured on any PC's. I checked the smb process number against smbstatus and there have been two machines generating these errors. I'm remote from the site so will need to verify this.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements