× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Strange Warning: Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free.

rick_heinig
Aspirant

So, respectfully, what do I need to do?  Logs attached back to yesterday's virus update: Note that I did not attach my USB backup last night. 

Wed Jan 25 2017 0:05:30 Backup: Error backup job netgear_BU: destination cannot be accessed.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:04:17 Snapshot: Snapshot prune worker successfully deleted snapshot 2016_12_28__00_00_25 from share or LUN Departments.
Wed Jan 25 2017 0:00:23 Miscellaneous: Snapshot c_1485320422 was successfully created for share or LUN Departments.
Tue Jan 24 2017 17:27:08 Volume: Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
Tue Jan 24 2017 17:17:06 Volume: Less than 20% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media will degrade if additional capacity is consumed. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to avoid performance degradation.
Tue Jan 24 2017 14:17:30 Volume: Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
Tue Jan 24 2017 10:27:14 Volume: Less than 10% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.
Tue Jan 24 2017 10:17:10 Volume: Less than 30% of volume media's capacity is free. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to maintain current performance levels. Continuous protection snapshots will be deleted when volume free space is less than 5%.
Tue Jan 24 2017 8:59:20 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Tue Jan 24 2017 8:59:16 System: ReadyNASOS service or process was restarted.
Tue Jan 24 2017 8:35:56 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 57.22941.
Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 26 of 45
Fridu
Aspirant

I can confirm both phenomenons on a NAS 204 after upgrading to 6.6.1

- volume utilization wanrings despite enough free space

- tons and tons of Antivirus messages dues to "broken heuristics" in a handful of files. As I use the NAS as backup container I herebey officially declare that I am not willing to delete vmlinuz-, GRUB and EFI-files 🙂

The problem of AVG making false positives is already quite old and can be resolved. Would Netgear please make a quick patch as I guess the volume warnings come from staged AV files filling up a (usually hidden) volume. And I am not willing to invest time in fumbling around in the firmware.

Just my 2 cents and a deep sigh of hope

Fridu

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204
Message 27 of 45
ikonuk
Guide

@FramerV wrote:

Hi ikonuk

Based on the description of the issue that you have provided, I may need to check this with others who can probably assist you and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Regards,

FramerV:

I have not heard from NETGEAR. But I have not had any new warnings either. Can we assume that this issue is now taken care of? Or should we wait for further notice or action?

Regards;

I. Konuk

Message 28 of 45
StephenB
Guru

On another thread, Netgear said they'd be starting a 6.7.0 beta very soon to roll out AV fixes.

Message 29 of 45
rick_heinig
Aspirant

Good news, we'll be looking for the next update.

Message 30 of 45
ikonuk
Guide

Unfortunately, I got another one of these warnings about 5% disk space available (although 80% is free) right after this monring's Virus Definition update. I am inserting a segment of the log.

I hope Netgear has a solution soon!DiskSpaceafterVirusDefinition

I. Konuk

Message 31 of 45
StephenB
Guru

If you are running 6.6.1, you should either disable the AV service or you should install 6.7.0 beta.

Message 32 of 45
ikonuk
Guide

StephenB:

Thank you very much for your suggestion. I have done so. But at first attempt the sytem gave me an error and ignored the request. I rebooted the system and tried again. Now AV is off and my system is more responsive now.

I hope Netgear completes the testing of 6.7 soon.

Regards;

I. Konuk

Message 33 of 45
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T158 (Beta 1) firmware available.

Message 34 of 45
Fridu
Aspirant

Since 48hrs the 6.7 beta is now running on my system. What happened?

1. Disk performance
I have added 2 WD 6TB disks 3 days ago in a X-RAID configuration, the system has now 4 identical disks. The resync process is incredibly slow - prognosed time was 120-140 hrs. After upgrading to 6.7 beta the numbers dropped to 50 hrs. Still this seems an enormous time IMHO.

2. Network performance

Before upgrading to 6.7 beta I measured the access performance using Paessler tools and had figures in the single digit kbit range. The NAS is attached to a GBit Ethernet LAN entirely cabled with Cat6 cables, all clients are cable-attached too. Backups (the NAS is my backup target) had no chance to go through in reasonable time. After upgrading, I'm now back in the 300 Mbps range - so this has definitely improved.

3. Access stability

The Webinterface of the NAS (my sole access) had a serious problem after the upgrade to 6.6.1 - it disappeared after a couple of hours and I had to reboot the NAS in order to be able to manage it. Strange phenomenon, as the box was always pingable and accessible for the SMB and AFP clients. After upgrading to 6.7 beta this seems now resolved.

4. Antivirus

I had turned off AV as recommended in several posts in the community as I had thousands of false positive warning after upgrading to 6.6.1. My clients are Linux and OS X systems, so the chance of having an active and misbehaving virus on the systems is rather low. But I want to run a AV as measure of prevention for data that leaves the systems EG by mail. I did not turn it on again yet, so I can't make a statement about AV.

Conclusion:

There is still room for improvement and I hope the 6.7.1 will bring this topic to a happy end.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS 204
Message 35 of 45
Roel1
Apprentice

I am having the same or similar problem:

[17/03/03 09:02:09 WET] warning:volume:LOGMSG_VOLUME_USAGE_NOTICE Less than 30% of volume data's capacity is free. NETGEAR recommends that you add capacity to maintain current performance levels. Continuous protection snapshots will be deleted when volume free space is less than 5%.
[17/03/03 09:02:40 WET] notice:system:LOGMSG_ANTIVIRUS_DEF_UPDATE Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 57.23158.
[17/03/03 09:02:29 WET] info:system:LOGMSG_START_READYNASD ReadyNASOS background service started.
[17/03/03 19:57:53 WET] warning:volume:LOGMSG_VOLUME_USAGE_CRITICAL Less than 5% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.

My ReadyNAS is also a whole lot slower. I will disable the AV to see if it makes a difference.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 36 of 45
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Roel1,

You could also consider updating to the BETA firmware.

ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T180 (Beta 3)

Regards,

Message 37 of 45
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Roel1,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 38 of 45
Roel1
Apprentice

Hi Framer V

I disabled AV on the ReadyNAS, which helped a bit, but haven't tried the beta yet. I'll see if that helps.

Regards

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 39 of 45
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Roel1,

Thanks for the feedback.

Let us know if you have any issues with the BETA.

Regards,

Message 40 of 45
Roel1
Apprentice

Hi FramerV

I've checked the logs now that a week has gone by and I've not noticed any problems with the beta. And I am no longer getting the Less than 20% or 5% warnings.

Regards

Message 41 of 45
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Roel1,

Thank you for the update. It might be a good idea to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

Regards,

Message 42 of 45
Roel1
Apprentice

Hi FramerV,

I've highlighted your post and added a tag Accept as Solution, so excuse my ignorance, but I couldn't see how to mark it as Accept as Solution.

Regards

Message 43 of 45
Sandshark
Sensei

Only the person who started a thread can mark a solution.  Being a "me too", you don't get that option.  Still, I think it's better to be a "me too" when it really is the same probelm so others can find the solution easier; just don't attach your issue to an unrelated one.

Message 44 of 45
ikonuk
Guide

FramerV:

I already did once it was established Virus Scan (AV) is the main culprit (accepted it as a solution) and it would be taken care of at the next release. Disabling AV gets rid of the problem for the time being.

We are now waiting for the release 7.7.

Regards;

I.Konuk

Message 45 of 45
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 44 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements