× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Stuck on Expanding 4 bay NV+

hackin8
Aspirant

Stuck on Expanding 4 bay NV+

I have a 4 bay ReadyNASNV+ running firmware 4.1.16 and X-Raid.

It was previously running with 4 x 1TB drives but was getting close to capacity, so I decided to upgrade to larger disks, using Seagate Barracuda SD2000DM006.

I installed one disk at a time, waiting for initialising and syncing.  After installing all four new drives, the NAS was working perfectly, still using the previous X-Raid space (about 3TB) , but showing all four disks capacity correctly. (4 x 2TB)

I then rebooted the NAS which restarted.  That was two days ago and it is still showing:

Expanding ......
C: 2.2 /4.5T Free.

It doesn't show on Raidar and is not accessible by web, ssh, telnet, smb or ftp.  It does respond to a ping, but that is all.   The lights are flashing in a  strange sequence:
1+3 >  1+2+3+4 >  3 >  1+3+4 > repeat
Previously the sequence was different, but with no activity light.

Searching and reading other posts I wonder if the issue may relate to the fact that I have had the NAS for some time, upgrading firmware when advised a new version was available, but never wiping and reinitialising the NAS.  If I am correct this means that it may still be using 4k blocks, which may not be compatible with 4 x 2TB disks in X-Raid configuration, but most references seem to indicate this is only a problem with 16TB storage - and may give poor performance, but no mention of failing the expansion?

In any case I now have an unusable NAS and not sure how to proceed.  Most of the data has been backed up elsewhere but not all.

I believe I have three options:

1) Wait and hope it eventually finishes (although no indication of percent complete and no access)
2) Reboot and hope ...

3) Open a support request and see whether they can help

I would appreciate any help / comments from anyone that may be able to shed some more light on the issue / have faced the same problem.

Thanks in advance

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Stuck on Expanding 4 bay NV+

This is a duplicate, so I'm locking it.  The active thread is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Readynas-NV-Stuck-on-Expanding/m-p/1620081#M148...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements