× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stuck on boot menu - failed update to V6.10.5

Westyfield2
Tutor

Stuck on boot menu - failed update to V6.10.5

Hi,

ReadyNAS was happy as larry, and I logged in to check free capacity (several TB), disk temperatures looking good, etc.

The popup offered a firmware update which it installed... but the NAS won't boot now.

I'm blaming it on the firmware update, but obviously it triggered a reboot as well which would have been its first for a few months.  NAS is on a UPS so the power was stable through the firmware update, and the webpage looked like everything was fine until it failed to reboot.

Was:  V6.10.4 Hotfix 1

Updated to:  V6.10.5

Symptom:  Screen showing "BOOT MENU", fans running at full speed.

The unit doesn't respond to the backup button (normally used to scroll through boot mode options), but the green LED by the button is illuminated.

The unit goes to the "BOOT MENU" if you power it off and on again, and does so without the Reset button at the rear being pressed (and does exactly the same if you do press the button also).

The unit doesn't respond to a ping on the static IP it was set to.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 18
StephenB
Guru

Is RAIDar giving you any additional information? https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

What happens if you remove the disks?  Do you then see a "no disks" status on the LCD?

Message 2 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

Good suggestions @StephenB, but sadly no improvement

• RAIDar doesn't see its existence
  • Booting with no disks is the same as booting with disks.  "ReadyNAS" on screen initially, then replaced with "Boot Menu" and the green backup LED becoming illuminated.

Checked the router and it's definitely not being DHCP'd anything.

Message 3 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

That sounds like either a stuck reset button or a corrupted flash.  First thing to try is a USB recovery.  I recommend you use OS6.10.4 for that, as 6.10.5 has introduced a login issue that affects some users.

Message 4 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

Thanks @Sandshark 

These ones yeah?  https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system

The instructions don't mentions about keeping the disks in or taking them out - assume it makes no difference?

Message 5 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, that one.  It's best to do it with the drives in.  They may also need fixing, and I'm not sure what would happen if you updated the flash and then re-installed drives with a partial update on them since the higher OS version between the flash and drives "wins".

Note the restrictions on the USB drive you use.  The NAS can be picky.  Stay away from USB3 devices, and 8GB or smaller is best (though I thk it's supposed to work up to 32GB)

Message 6 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

Well I've tried several USB drives, and nope.

• Powered off
  • Disconnect UPS from rearport.  Insert USB drive to front port.
  • Press & hold Backup button
  • Power on

Screen says "ReadyNAS" throughout.  No indication from the screen that it's doing anything, held the Backup button for 60 secs.

After a bit of holding the Backup button with the USB inserted, the LED on the end of the USB gave a few flashes as if something was happening.  But nothing afterwards.

Message 7 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

My bad.  I missed that you have an updated legacy machine.  For USB recovery on those, you need to create a RAIDiator 4.2 style recovery key (RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool ), but use an OS6 image instead of a 4.2.x one.

Message 8 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

Thanks - I'd completely forgotton that it never came with OS6, that's how long its been.

Had to rename the OS6 image to make the OS4 tool see it.

Only ever had the ReadyNAS message on the screen, but got some USB activity light flashes at 25secs, loads more at 60secs, and it turned itself off at 90 secs.  Progress!

But...

Still just the same. Goes to Boot Menu when you power on, backup button doesn't scroll through any boot menu options, and RAIDiator / ping doesn't see the device :(.

Message 9 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

This is what I renamed the file to so that OS 4 recovery would see it.  The first two beginning RAIDiator* is what the tool offered in the dropdowns, and obviously I selected v6.10.4.  (Whereas the file beginning ReadyNASOS* wasn't listed in the recovery tool dropdown).

Files used for OS4 recovery appFiles used for OS4 recovery app

And this what files looked like on the USB drive that the recovery tool created.

Files burned to USB driveFiles burned to USB drive

Message 10 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

I think the 4.2.x recovery tool is going to expect a .bin file, not .img (which is just a naming thing, the files have the same structure).  I expect it will also need it to contain a modified header identifying it as a RAIDiator image, not ReadyNASOS.  So, you should be using a .bin image like is used for the original conversion from 4.2.x to 6.x.

Message 11 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

No luck 😞

I hex edited the 6.10.4 file so that the info header looked the same as the 4.20-6.0 file, but with the filesize from 6.10.4 and MD5 from 6.10.4.

But it did the same.

ReadyNAS message on the screen throughout, lots of USB activity light flashes, and the device turning itself off at 90 secs.

And when turned on, it goes to the Boot Menu regardless of whether you're pressing the reset pin or not, the backup button doesn't scroll through any boot menu options, and RAIDiator doesn't see it 😞

Aside: How is the MD5 calculated?
I've got the 4.2.final / 4.2->6 / 6.10.4 files all downloaded, but the MD5 written inside each of them doesn't match what my PC calculates them as. Does it skip the header or something?
When using the NPP+ hex editor plugin to edit the 6.10.4 file I used the MD5 from the original downloaded 6.10.4 file as that must be right as it's only the header I edited.

Message 12 of 18
StephenB
Guru

@Westyfield2 wrote:

I hex edited the 6.10.4 file so that the info header looked the same as the 4.20-6.0 file, but with the filesize from 6.10.4 and MD5 from 6.10.4.

But it did the same.

I have a 6.10.3 file that works (I used it to convert my Pro 6 a while back),  I'll send you a PM (since the download link won't be persistent).

@Westyfield2 wrote:

Aside: How is the MD5 calculated?
I've got the 4.2.final / 4.2->6 / 6.10.4 files all downloaded, but the MD5 written inside each of them doesn't match what my PC calculates them as. Does it skip the header or something?

It definitely skips the header, not sure if it skips other parts as well. 

Message 13 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

When you edit the header, you must be certain to not change the size of the file.  To verify you didn't, go to 0x4000 and verify the first file it contains (csums.md5) starts exactly there.

Message 14 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

Well I tried the 6.10.3 file as kindly provided by @StephenB and...

Still the same.

USB light flashed as it seemingly took the file before the device turned itself off.

But turning the device on it goes straight to bootmenu, without any ability to scroll through the boot options, can’t be seen in RAIDiator, and makes no distinction between being booted with the drives present or not.

😞
Message 15 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

Sounds like a "stuck" button, then.  Rather than physically stuck, it could be disconnect by a bad solder joint, or it could be a problem with the connected circuitry.

Message 16 of 18
Westyfield2
Tutor

So without saying I don't believe it, on the logic of hardly ever having pressed said button, is there any way I can prove or disprove that theory?

Message 17 of 18
Sandshark
Sensei

I put "stuck" in quotes for a reason, as explained by what followed.  While the signal normally changed by the button may not be changing, there are reasons other than the physical button that could account for that.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements