× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stupid Question Time: Disk Tests

Platypus69
Luminary

Stupid Question Time: Disk Tests

So...

How do you run SMART tests? Or see the results?

Link below describes what the following do:

• Scub
  • Defrag
  • Balance

https://kb.netgear.com/26638/ReadyNAS-OS-6-How-to-Enable-and-Configure-Volume-Maintenance?cid=wmt_ne...

But NOT what Disk Test does.

Neither does:

https://kb.netgear.com/26941/ReadyNAS-OS-6-An-overview-of-relevant-scheduled-maintenance-tasks-avail...

So I schedule Disk Test last night.

And got the following in the volume log:

Thu Apr 6 2017 14:59:01 Volume: Disk test completed for volume data.
Thu Apr 6 2017 4:10:02 Volume: Disk test started for volume data.

Which is not what I expected.

So how do you run SMART tests on all the disks?

I found "Thank you StephenB, that was helpful. I checked all SMART stats and found nothing abnormal." via https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-516-Disk-Test-Results/td-p/974907

But I cannot seem to find how to initiate SMART Disks tests.

Disk log is empty.

Sorry for stoopid question Cat LOL

[RN316 (RN31600) | 6.7.0 | 6 x 4TB WD Red (WD40EFRX) | X-RAID | RAID5]

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Platypus69 wrote:

Thu Apr 6 2017 14:59:01   Volume: Disk test completed for volume data.
Thu Apr 6 2017 4:10:02   Volume: Disk test started for volume data.

I believe you actually did run the extended SMART test on the drives when you ran the disk test.  But the documentation doesn't spell that out (and probably should).  The smart history is updated when the stats change, so it doesn't have entries when tests run and pass.

There is also a short SMART check done periodically - that should also be in the manual, and isn't.

Of course, SMART stats are continuously maintained in the drive, so errors that show up in scrub, balance, etc also show up in the smart stats.

You can see the most useful smart stats and the maintenance history if you download the log zip and look in volume.log

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Platypus69 wrote:

Thu Apr 6 2017 14:59:01   Volume: Disk test completed for volume data.
Thu Apr 6 2017 4:10:02   Volume: Disk test started for volume data.

I believe you actually did run the extended SMART test on the drives when you ran the disk test.  But the documentation doesn't spell that out (and probably should).  The smart history is updated when the stats change, so it doesn't have entries when tests run and pass.

There is also a short SMART check done periodically - that should also be in the manual, and isn't.

Of course, SMART stats are continuously maintained in the drive, so errors that show up in scrub, balance, etc also show up in the smart stats.

You can see the most useful smart stats and the maintenance history if you download the log zip and look in volume.log

Message 2 of 6
Platypus69
Luminary

Thanks.

I am very surprised that critical information such as SMART test results are not presented in the web portal. After all you bought a NAS and have some RAID configuration, and the critical information is not easily accessible.

Who cares about what interface or RPM your disks have? It never changes and can't be changed. And is potentially already presented in GUI. So why have it in the tool tip?

But SMART results, reallocation of sector, power-on hours are important and nowhere to be seen.

All style over substance in this typical new modern UI that every vendor seems to be developing. Meanwhile you disks are about to fail and they typical user will be none the wiser.

Anyway... Thanks again!

Message 3 of 6
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Platypus69 wrote:

But SMART results, reallocation of sector, power-on hours are important and nowhere to be seen.

It is there.  If you go to the performance tab, and then hover over the disk status icon (e.g., green ball), you can see the parameters under "health data".  You do have to scroll down to see it all.

I find that a bit cumbersome to explain (also to use), so I generally go with the "download the logs" method here.  If you have ssh enabled, you can of course just use smartctl.

Message 5 of 6
Platypus69
Luminary

Thanks a lot.

Easy when you know Cat LOL

Whould would thought that reliability metrics/telemetry would be under performance?

Otherwise yet another great example of style over subtance!

Why on earth would you expect something to be shown by hovering over the green ball to the right of each disk??? Because if you hover over the green balls for the fan and 2 thermometers they do not have a tool tip. Really stupid interface for something so important potentially.

And you should not rely on emails as SMTP gatewqays, ISPs, firewall changes could block critical messages.

And, why is there nothing in the disk logs, this is exactly where this hould be shown in the GUI.

So much wasted real estate on each page.

Why have an additional section in the System > Volumes page titled SMART Results and show the time when it last ran and results in a table?

Thanks again for help!!!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements