× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Stuttering video streamed from Duo V2

PittsburghLever
Follower

Stuttering video streamed from Duo V2

I have a Duo v2 from which I expose a file share. In this share, I have ripped all my DVDs as VIDEO_TS folders. I am using Windows Media Center as my player. I have noticed since I switched to using the Duo that my films seem to stutter in exactly the same place in the film. The stutter would be pretty bad - 3 to 4 seconds the picture would freeze. I then searched a bit online and as a result I turned on NFS (enabling home shares and using 4 threads). This seems to have helped, but the stutter is not completely gone. What/where should I be looking for the source?

As a diagnostics step, I tried to copy a folder containing a movie from the NAS using a wired connection. I witnessed a transfer rate of about 45 Mb/s initially, which after a short while seemed to stabilize on around 20 Mb/s - so I am guessing it is not a network issue. Any ideas? I tried enabling jumbo frames on the computer hosting Media Center, but that seems to have made no difference. I couldn't find anywhere to enable that on the NAS.

I am using 1.0.0.224 Dashboard, latest Raidar.

Any help is deeply appreciated!
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Is this happening in all your DVD rips? Or just some.

Also, are you using DLNA, or playing them from the shared folder? I am guessing that you also installed some sort of NFS client on the PC???
Message 2 of 11
devilsrear
Aspirant

Hi

One of the films you are having problems with - if you copy this to your PC - and run it directly from there - does it still stutter?
Message 3 of 11
vandermerwe
Master

You should not need jumbo frames to stream DVD material. I stream uncompressed bluray material flawlessly without it using NFS and 10/100 Ethernet.
I would turn off jumbo frames unless you can enable it on on all devices including any switches or routers.
Stuttering at exactly the same point - I would definitely check that the file plays correctly on the PC as devilsrear suggested.
Message 4 of 11
faredge
Aspirant

I see a similar issue with multiple devices connecting to a RNDPro2:
- Macbook Pro streaming videos via CIFs or AFP
- Win7 laptops streaming videos via CIFs
- iPhones streaming via DLNA

Issue persists with RNDPro2 running 4.2.17, 4.2.19, 4.2.21
Clients are connected via wifi (150Mbit / 300Mbit) RNDPro2 is connected via Gig ethernet

Clients stutter during playback, time ranges from several minutes to seconds.

The issue is not however dependant on the media selected - it happens during any / all videos.

If I stream the same files from one of the laptops to another device no issues...
Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

faredge, you should open your own thread - otherwise advice and symptoms get tangled up, and create confusion.
Message 6 of 11
faredge
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Can you please explain this for me? I can replicate the issue that PittsburghLever has reported, and I have added additional information about the issue I'm seeing. Therefore it made sense to me to add to this thread, rather than starting a new one. I'm used to being berated for not searching for similar issues and working within those to prevent an explosion of identical threads, rather than every new instance being raised as a separate thread?

F.
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

PittsburghLever has a duo v2, you have a pro. His user interface and firmware is completely different from yours. Even if it weren't, there are often more than one possible cause for a given symptom.

I don't think you've been berated here (you have only 3 posts). The custom here is (a) don't post the same issue on multiple threads and (b) start your own thread for your problem.
Message 8 of 11
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

PittsburghLever, did you ever get a fix?
Message 9 of 11
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

StephenB wrote:
Is this happening in all your DVD rips? Or just some.

Also, are you using DLNA, or playing them from the shared folder? I am guessing that you also installed some sort of NFS client on the PC???

StephenB, newbie question here which may be my problem. What did you mean "using DLNA, or just playing them from a shared folder". I'm just playing my content via CIFS out of a shared folder and getting bad studdering. Part of my problem is I have Dashboard and most of the suggestions and documantation is for FrontView.
Message 10 of 11
brdoddsjr
Apprentice

StephenB, figured this one out. Connected via UPnP vs SMB. Works fine.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements