× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sudden slow speeds on NAS

Blues11
Luminary

Sudden slow speeds on NAS

In the past few days I've noticed a dramatic slowdown in speeds when copying files to and from the 516. File transfers that used to take a minute or less now take 10 minutes or more. I've rebooted the computers that access the NAS as well as the NAS itself but nothing has changed. The system was recently moved from 6.9.3 to 6.9.4 Hotfix 1 and has four 4TB drives from the list of acceptable drives.

The one thing that may be a factor is that I've begun to see items in the Log that have to do with interface bond.

These messages, logged by the system in less than 1 minute total state (oldest on bottom):

System: Bond interface bond0 slave interface eth0 is online.

System: Bond interface bond0 has slave interface eth0 is offline.

System: Bond interface bond0 slave interface eth0 is online.

System: Alert message failed to send.

System: Bond interface bond0 has slave interface eth0 is offline.

I iknow very little about bonding so I"m not sure what this problem is or if it may be the reason the NAS is transferring data so slowly.

Any ideas on what the problem(s) might be would be greatly appreciated and potential solutions even more so. Thank you.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Blues11
Luminary

Re: Sudden slow speeds on NAS

Yep. It was that Netgear switch. I replaced it with a new 16 port switch and the ridiculously slow network speeds disappeared. It confused me that other network traffic seemed to work properly, but thsi solved the problem.

Thank you for the help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Blues11 wrote:

System: Alert message failed to send.

I'm curious about this one - are you getting any alert email messages from the NAS?  It's possible that email alerts aren't properly configured (though this could also be a side effect of the networking issues).

@Blues11 wrote:

I iknow very little about bonding so I"m not sure what this problem is or if it may be the reason the NAS is transferring data so slowly.

It definitely sounds like a networking issue.  What bonding mode is the system using?  It'd be helpful to also know what switch/router you are using, and how the bonding is configured there.

I suggest downloading the log zip file and looking in network_settings.log.  You'll find the ethernet stats there.

Rebooting both the NAS and the switch/router is probably the first step.

You can also try breaking the bond by disconnecting one of the two ethernet cables.  Then retest the speed.  After that, switch to the ethernet port and test it again.  Since it could be a failing switch port in the router/switch, I also suggest trying a different port there.

NasTester is a convenient way to check the performance.  http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Message 2 of 5
Blues11
Luminary

StephenB, thank you for your reply. (I neglected to check the box when I posted this issue to “send emails when there is a response” so I just logged in to find yours.) Pardon for the delay.

First, I do get email alerts each night after the NAS runs its 5 or 6 Backup jobs. I also get them when the UPS goes onto battery power and again when it goes online.

Next, as I mentioned I know little about most of the Network options on the NAS. I have it configured with a static IP address. It’s currently set up with Teaming Mode: “Active Backup”. In the past few days as I’ve been trying to fix this I’ve tried “Transmit Load Balancing” and “Adaptive Load Balancing”, but neither one made much of a difference.

In my small network there is an older Netgear (dumb) 16 port switch so, as far as I know, I have no control over any sort of bonding going on there.

I downloaded the log file and examined the network_settings.log. As I recall, RX is for received and TX is for sent. The first section, LeafNets, lists no errors. Then bond0, eth0 and eth1 show lots of RX errors, in the 6- or 7-digit category, but with no TX errors.

I’ve disconnected both ethernet cables and tried using just one (new) ethernet cable plugged in to one of the ports. It didn’t seem to make much of a difference. I may be able to try a different switch if I can find it, also older Netgear. I don’t have much confidence that a different switch will help because all the other network traffic between the other few computers has not seen any slowdowns.

I tried that NAS performance download, but it’s an .exe file and all the computers here are Macs.

Again, thank you so much. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. If it could be a hardware issue I’d like to determine that and if Netgear can repair it I should look into it. I hope it doesn’t come to that.

Message 3 of 5
Blues11
Luminary

OK. I think the problem is with the switch, even though the other computers on the network seemed to be unaffected by it. I just found another 1Gbps switch with 8 ports and substituted that for the 16 port one. The result was basically the way it was before this slowdown happened. I'll run it this way for 24 hours but this seems to have solved the problem.

If I'm still having issues I'll post them, but if the other switch keeps the network at the speeds it has now, I'll post that to confirm and then I'll close this as "resolved."

Thank you.

Message 4 of 5
Blues11
Luminary

Yep. It was that Netgear switch. I replaced it with a new 16 port switch and the ridiculously slow network speeds disappeared. It confused me that other network traffic seemed to work properly, but thsi solved the problem.

Thank you for the help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements