× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Swapping disks between ReadyNas NV+ v1 (RND4250) and v3 (RND4000 v3)

jimbobin
Aspirant

Swapping disks between ReadyNas NV+ v1 (RND4250) and v3 (RND4000 v3)

Hi All,

Just wanted what people thought of what i would like to do:

I have a working RDN4250, can I power off the device and pull out my working drives and put them into RND4000 v3, power it on and expect everything to work as it did in the orignal unit?

I understand that both of the units are ReadyNAS NV+

many thanks

James

Model: ReadyNASRND4250|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Swapping disks between ReadyNas NV+ v1 (RND4250) and v3 (RND4000 v3)

@jimbobin wrote:

Hi All,

I have a working RDN4250, can I power off the device and pull out my working drives and put them into RND4000 v3, power it on and expect everything to work as it did in the orignal unit?

many thanks

James

They are both NV+ v1 ( http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/ ).

You can migrate the disks that way.  Though it is best to put in a scratch disk first, and install the same firmware you have running on the 4250 onto the 4000.  If the firmware in the flash doesn't match the disks, then the NAS will install the flash version to the hard drives (either upgrading or downgrading).

I am wondering why you want to do this (since the 4250 is working ok)?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@jimbobin wrote:

Hi All,

many thanks

James

They are both NV+ v1 ( http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/ ).

You can migrate the disks that way.  Though it is best to put in a scratch disk first, and install the same firmware you have running on the 4250 onto the 4000.  If the firmware in the flash doesn't match the disks, then the NAS will install the flash version to the hard drives (either upgrading or downgrading).

I am wondering why you want to do this (since the 4250 is working ok)?

Message 2 of 3
jimbobin
Aspirant

Thanks - I'm thinking as a means of hardaware fall back - in the event of a hardware failure, I can just pull out the drives and  plug them into the other NAS and away I go.

I have also noticed that my current unit crashes sometimes and was unsure if this was a hardware issue - so I could try running the disks in the other unit to see if it also crashes.

many thanks

James

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements