× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Synchronisation offline after RN104 upgrade to 6.10 from 6.9.5

Synchronisation offline after RN104 upgrade to 6.10 from 6.9.5

After upgrading to 6.10, Readycloud no longer synchronises ... "Synchronisation Offline". 

In the NAS admin page,, ReadyCloud is switched on, shows "Internet Available" and "Services Available" sometimes, and a question mark where "Services Available" should be other times.

The client is Windows 1.17.

Also have a bunch of php problems, I know that is a side-effect of this upgrade, only mention it in case it is contrbuting to the synchronisation problem.  I'd appreciate any advice. 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions

Fixed.   This is the second major software glitch with this device that needed significant effort on my part to fix.  I don't know what someone with no tech skills would do in this cuircumstance. 

Anyway, ended up buying an external drive; backing everythng up; and doing a factory reset  Restoring all the files now, but it definitely does synch again.  Cost $200 for an external drive I don't need and I lost of good chunk of two weekends with a couple of evenings thrown in.  At the expense of time with family.  

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 19

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @LeapingLemming

Have you checked the Network settings after the upgrade? Do you have a static IP assigned to the NAS before? Have you tried rebooting the NAS after the update?

Can you also try toggling the ReadyCloud service,

HTH 

Regards

Message 2 of 19

Thanks.  Answering your thoughts in order

(1)  it is indeed a static IP on my router and it is unchanged and correct

(2) I have rebooted several times and reinstalled the firmware on the NAS and Readycloud in Windows several times

(3) I have also toggled the service several times.

I have also checked other settings and they all look OK.  The services show HTTP and HTTPS off, eveything else on.

Message 3 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@LeapingLemming wrote:

I have also checked other settings and they all look OK.  The services show HTTP and HTTPS off, eveything else on.

HTTP and HTTPS should be turned on in system->settings->services.

Where were you looking?

Message 4 of 19

Exactly where you say and I can't turn them on for some reason.  I click on them and the pop-up has all options greyed out.

FYI as for network settings, IP4 has a static IP, IP6 is disabled. 

Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@LeapingLemming wrote:

Exactly where you say and I can't turn them on for some reason.  I click on them and the pop-up has all options greyed out.

And they have no green stripe going through them?

Of course you can reach the NAS admin, so one of them has to be working.

Message 6 of 19

No green stripe through HTTP or HTTPSNo green stripe through HTTP or HTTPSSee above, no green stripe through either ... and yes I get to NAS admin, but HTTPS must be working because even though greyed, it is  'ticked' as on

image.png

Also got desperate and removed then rediscovered  the device.  No luck there either.

Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@LeapingLemming wrote:

See above, no green stripe through either ... and yes I get to NAS admin, but HTTPS must be working because even though greyed, it is  'ticked' as on

That is weird.  You say you've tried over-installing the firmware.  Perhaps try an OS reinstall? 

That isn't quite the same, and has some side effects - it will

• reset your network configuration to use DHCP
  • turn off volume quota
  • reset the admin password to password

Data shouldn't be affected.  Instructions are on pages 28-29 of the hardware manual.  http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Another thing you could try is to log in via ssh, and uninstall the apps that use php. 

Message 8 of 19

I have never used linux (I assume ssh is a linux shell) so I might be out of my depth there.  Unless you can give me pointers.

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@LeapingLemming wrote:

I have never used linux (I assume ssh is a linux shell) so I might be out of my depth there.  Unless you can give me pointers.

Probably not a good time to learn.

Do you have a backup of your files?  (you should, since RAID isn't enough to keep them safe).  Another approach (painful, but effective) is to do a factory reset, rebuild the NAS, and restore the files from the backup.

Message 10 of 19

Actually may have removed php by cleaning it from the app directory using my memories of Unix that were very old and very briefly-used.  But it did not fix the problem.  I do have a backup of the really important stuff, I sync several directories on the NAS to cloud storage.  But not everything, like shows I recorded.  So I'd prefer not to rebuild.

Message 11 of 19

Thanks for your help Stephen, I'll try the OS reinstall on the weekend when I have more time.

Message 12 of 19

Reinstalling the OS did not work.  I also fixed a certificate error I was having on my browser, did nothing.  I have rebooted, restarted everthing, turned cloud services on and off no luck.  ReadyNAS shows this:

image.png

ReadyCloud looks like this

image.png

Message 13 of 19

I find these errors throughout my readycloud logs:

This is in one

2019-05-13;11:41:40.4;[44632];[3];D;calculateHash Out with LogicException
2019-05-13;11:41:40.4;[44632];[3];E;Logic exception: Couldn't complete md5 hash calculation, exiting app...

This is in another

2019-05-13;11:59:17.9;[208];[4];E;Task <status> failed, reason: <>, system error: <System Error: The operation completed successfully. (0)>
2019-05-13;11:59:17.9;[208];[3];I;Syncing - Received status from server, remote cursor <0>, local cursor <0>, reset flag <0>
2019-05-13;11:59:17.9;[208];[3];E;Fail occured during syncing <Syncing - Error occured during pullig. Later we are trying pull again.>

Message 14 of 19

My linux knowledge is poor to lousy I admit ... but when I did a "jobs" command in ssh, there are no jobs running.  And when I do a "service" command I get these.  Is all this OK?   Anything missing?

[ - ] apache2
[ + ] avahi-daemon
[ - ] bootlogs
[ - ] bootmisc.sh
[ - ] checkfs.sh
[ - ] checkroot-bootclean.sh
[ - ] checkroot.sh
[ + ] cron
[ + ] dbus
[ + ] forked-daapd
[ - ] hostname.sh
[ - ] killprocs
[ + ] leafp2p
[ - ] lsyncd
[ + ] minissdpd
[ - ] mountall-bootclean.sh
[ - ] mountall.sh
[ - ] mountdevsubfs.sh
[ - ] mountkernfs.sh
[ - ] mountnfs-bootclean.sh
[ - ] mountnfs.sh
[ + ] nfs-common
[ + ] nfs-kernel-server
[ + ] noflushd
[ + ] procps
[ - ] rmnologin
[ + ] rpcbind
[ + ] rsync
[ - ] sendsigs
[ + ] snmpd
[ + ] ssh
[ - ] sudo
[ + ] udev
[ ? ] udev-mtab
[ - ] umountfs
[ - ] umountnfs.sh
[ - ] umountroot
[ + ] urandom

Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

My service list is slightly different (no sudo):

root@RN102:~# service --status-all
 [ + ]  apache2
 [ + ]  avahi-daemon
 [ - ]  bootlogs
 [ - ]  bootmisc.sh
 [ - ]  checkfs.sh
 [ - ]  checkroot-bootclean.sh
 [ - ]  checkroot.sh
 [ + ]  cron
 [ + ]  dbus
 [ - ]  forked-daapd
 [ - ]  hostname.sh
 [ - ]  killprocs
 [ + ]  leafp2p
 [ - ]  lsyncd
 [ + ]  minissdpd
 [ - ]  mountall-bootclean.sh
 [ - ]  mountall.sh
 [ - ]  mountdevsubfs.sh
 [ - ]  mountkernfs.sh
 [ - ]  mountnfs-bootclean.sh
 [ - ]  mountnfs.sh
 [ - ]  nfs-common
 [ - ]  nfs-kernel-server
 [ + ]  noflushd
 [ + ]  procps
 [ - ]  rmnologin
 [ - ]  rpcbind
 [ + ]  rsync
 [ - ]  sendsigs
 [ - ]  snmpd
 [ + ]  ssh
 [ + ]  udev
 [ - ]  umountfs
 [ - ]  umountnfs.sh
 [ - ]  umountroot
 [ + ]  urandom
root@RN102:~#
Message 16 of 19

Fixed.   This is the second major software glitch with this device that needed significant effort on my part to fix.  I don't know what someone with no tech skills would do in this cuircumstance. 

Anyway, ended up buying an external drive; backing everythng up; and doing a factory reset  Restoring all the files now, but it definitely does synch again.  Cost $200 for an external drive I don't need and I lost of good chunk of two weekends with a couple of evenings thrown in.  At the expense of time with family.  

Message 17 of 19

Initentionally left blank.  Actually the web site was playing up and I posed the same message twice.

Message 18 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@LeapingLemming wrote:

Cost $200 for an external drive I don't need 

Not sure that you don't need it.  If you care about your data, then you do need a backup strategy for it.  RAID isn't enough to keep it safe (with any NAS).

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements