× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Syntax for rSync File Excludes via Web Backup Interface

ReadyNASNVUser
Apprentice

Syntax for rSync File Excludes via Web Backup Interface

OS Version 6.10.3

I've hunted high and low for the syntax to specify a folder and all subfolders to exclude via rSync web backup interface and can't find it.   So sorry if this is a repeat post.

I've tried every combination of back slashes, quotes etc that I can think of, including replacing spaces with underscores in the parent folder name.

Can someone advise... note I am specifying the USB port not the named USB drive as the backup location so I don't have to edit the backup job when I swap the on-site and off-site disks (which obviously have different names)

The rSync backup works perfectly... except that it also backs up the folder TV_Recordings and all its subfolders

Below screen shots of the situation and backup config..

<I tried to put the photos in-line but it kept displaying yellow triangles in square boxes rather than the images I uploaded using the "photos" button... so attaching the photos instead in a single PDF file>

Note... Backup-07-Offline-6TB is the backup disk attached to the back top USB port.  Confusingly I want to backup the share called "media" to /Device/media/Backup-07-Offline-6TB !!!

So what do I put as the name of the folder I want to exclude which is, starting from root \ is \Device\data\media\Videos\TV_Recordings so I exclude this folder and all its sub-folders?

Thanks for anyone's help on this.... been pulling my hair out and I don't have much left! 🙂 

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Syntax for rSync File Excludes via Web Backup Interface

I'm glad I could help.

@ReadyNASNVUser wrote:

so that part of the UX ought to say on the exclude list something like "enter the name of the item (and sub-directories);  paths are not required"

Better help would be useful. It's more complicated than you are thinking, as rsync is doing a pattern match (there is a way to put wildcards in the exclude string).

TV_Recordings/ would have given you an empty TV_Recordings folder on the destination.

TV* would have excluded any files or folders that started with TV

readme.txt would have excluded all files called readme.txt (no matter what folder they were in)

*.mp4 would have excluded all mp4 files (no matter what folder they were in)

You can include paths (using / ) but they are always relative (starting from the source folder, not the root of the volume).  So you'd leave the share name out. If you had more than one folder called TV_Recordings you would need some path information.  If I recall your folder tree correctly, Videos/TV_Recordings would have also worked (or *Videos/TV_Recordings)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I believe if just passes through what you enter to the rsync --exlude option.

You could try just entering TV_Recordings

Message 2 of 6
ReadyNASNVUser
Apprentice

Hi @StephenB 

I'll try that... never would have thought of that..

And the folder and all the sub-folders I need to exclude TV_Recordings is at   Device/data/media/Videos/TV_Recordings... doesn't rSync need the path... or is doing a match on any string (regular expression?) put into the files/folders to exclude list?

And if the regex matches a directory does that means it will exclude all the sub-directories?

Have to say the UI is pretty opaque for this... not being an rsync expert... 

Thanks for the help so far...

I'll report back if your initial idea works..

Antony

Message 3 of 6
ReadyNASNVUser
Apprentice

@StephenB that did the trick... so that part of the UX ought to say on the exclude list something like "enter the name of the item (and sub-directories);  paths are not required"

Thanks for the help

Antony

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

I'm glad I could help.

@ReadyNASNVUser wrote:

so that part of the UX ought to say on the exclude list something like "enter the name of the item (and sub-directories);  paths are not required"

Better help would be useful. It's more complicated than you are thinking, as rsync is doing a pattern match (there is a way to put wildcards in the exclude string).

TV_Recordings/ would have given you an empty TV_Recordings folder on the destination.

TV* would have excluded any files or folders that started with TV

readme.txt would have excluded all files called readme.txt (no matter what folder they were in)

*.mp4 would have excluded all mp4 files (no matter what folder they were in)

You can include paths (using / ) but they are always relative (starting from the source folder, not the root of the volume).  So you'd leave the share name out. If you had more than one folder called TV_Recordings you would need some path information.  If I recall your folder tree correctly, Videos/TV_Recordings would have also worked (or *Videos/TV_Recordings)

Message 5 of 6
ReadyNASNVUser
Apprentice

@StephenB thanks for this addtional clarity...

I guess I was trying to suggest that a pointer to this info in the UX (help page?) would be useful.  Unless I missed it....

Other than asking, it would be hard to figure out the relationship between the exclude field in the UX and the appropriate section of the rsync man page.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements