× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Cont

p5taylor
Tutor

System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact

Please help....

System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support.

I keep getting this error, I have a small ammount of knowledge with linux using putty, it is slowly increasing in size i have thought about resetting but i have to much data on the drives is there a way to remove them reset and then rebuild.

root@Home-Server:/# df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             10M  4.0K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/md0        3.7G  3.1G  420M  89% /
tmpfs          1009M     0 1009M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs          1009M  620K 1008M   1% /run
tmpfs           505M  1.1M  504M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs          1009M     0 1009M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md127      1.9T  610G  1.3T  33% /data
/dev/md127      1.9T  610G  1.3T  33% /apps
/dev/md127      1.9T  610G  1.3T  33% /home

root@Home-Server:/# du -sh *
0       1
7.3G    apps
6.0M    bin
4.0K    boot

root@Home-Server:/# btrfs fi show /data
Label: '116548d8:data'  uuid: b78d3198-a934-4e9e-8249-3986dc467d7f
        Total devices 1 FS bytes used 606.88GiB
        devid    1 size 1.81TiB used 612.07GiB path /dev/md127

btrfs fi df /data

root@Home-Server:/# btrfs fi df /data
Data, single: total=607.01GiB, used=604.98GiB
System, DUP: total=32.00MiB, used=96.00KiB
Metadata, DUP: total=2.50GiB, used=1.90GiB
GlobalReserve, single: total=512.00MiB, used=0.00B

Apps installed: linux - dash, LogAnaylser, Recoll

Thanks in advance for your help.

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Cont

p5taylor wrote:

Running firmware V6.9.1, I have now also un-install all 3 apps that i had installed come down from 84% to 83%. Is there any way to reset the whole system to factory default and save my data on the hard drives if i remove them?

Support knows how to rebuild the OS from scratch w/o touching the data volume, but I don't. 

@p5taylor wrote:

248M    cache
2.1G    lib

Look further into here.  My cache is ~50M, and lib is 384M.  Everthing else looks reasonablely close.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15

All Replies
ElfD
Aspirant

You can use:

du -xhd1 /

and then work your way to find the file using up space, it's likely a log file or database file related to some app that's installed.

Full root is not cause for alarm in terms of data loss, it's a separate volume and if you can't figure out what it is I would recommend contacting support 

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@ElfD wrote:

Full root is not cause for alarm in terms of data loss, it's a separate volume and if you can't figure out what it is I would recommend contacting support 

Paid support is certainly a good option for this.  Although there is little risk of data loss, if you don't address it promptly the NAS can become unresponsive (either the web ui, or file explorer access, or both).

It might not be a log - what apps do you have installed?

Message 3 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

Apps installed: linux - dash, LogAnaylser, Recoll

Message 4 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

If i un-install these will it delete the data log as well, what directory do i find them in.

Regards

Paul

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@p5taylor wrote:

If i un-install these will it delete the data log as well, what directory do i find them in.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "data log".  The apps are supposed to be installed in /apps.  That's a mount point for /data/.apps, so they are supposed to use storage in the data volume.  But some apps aren't correctly written, and use a lot of space in the OS volume.

LogAnalyzer is one of the ones that uses OS volume space, so you should start by uninstalling that one.

I've seen several folks post issues with linux-dash not working, but I haven't seen a root cause for that posted here - and I don't know if it is using OS space or not.

Recoll is really no longer needed, since indexing/search was added to the web ui in OS 6.8.

Message 6 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

I have un-install Recoll as you said it isnt needed anymore and also loganalyser how can i tidy up and files folders left behind, thankyou for your help.

Message 7 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

i have rebooted the server and it is still reporting 83% now so this hasnt sorted it.

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Use the 

du -xhd1 /

idea, and see if it leads you to a particular file or folder.

What firmware are you running?

Message 9 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

Hi Steven

Running firmware V6.9.1, I have now also un-install all 3 apps that i had installed come down from 84% to 83%. Is there any way to reset the whole system to factory default and save my data on the hard drives if i remove them?

Regards

Paul

Message 10 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

root@Home-Server:~# du -xhd1 /
4.0K    /mnt
4.0K    /srv
30M     /lib
40K     /root
31M     /frontview
4.0K    /boot
32K     /tmp
4.0K    /selinux
11M     /etc
2.5G    /var
485M    /usr
16M     /opt
4.0K    /media
11M     /sbin
6.0M    /bin
16K     /lost+found
3.1G    /
root@Home-Server:~#

Message 11 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

root@Home-Server:/var# du -sh *
4.0K    agentx
100M    backups
248M    cache
27M     cores
4.0K    ftp
2.1G    lib
4.0K    local
0       lock
60M     log
4.0K    mail
16K     netatalk
4.0K    opt
8.3M    readynasd
0       run
16K     spool
4.0K    tmp
8.0K    www
root@Home-Server:/var#

Message 12 of 15
StephenB
Guru

p5taylor wrote:

Support knows how to rebuild the OS from scratch w/o touching the data volume, but I don't. 

@p5taylor wrote:

248M    cache
2.1G    lib

Look further into here.  My cache is ~50M, and lib is 384M.  Everthing else looks reasonablely close.

Message 13 of 15
p5taylor
Tutor

So i went into lib directory as this was showing as 2.1G
and the offending file was a 1.5G mysql database file left behind i do believe when i prevously had mysql server install i geuss. Now back down to a healthy 1.5G root usage.

root@Home-Server:/# du -xhd1 /
4.0K    /mnt
4.0K    /srv
30M     /lib
40K     /root
31M     /frontview
4.0K    /boot
32K     /tmp
4.0K    /selinux
11M     /etc
949M    /var
485M    /usr
16M     /opt
4.0K    /media
11M     /sbin
6.0M    /bin
16K     /lost+found
1.5G    /

Thankyou to everyone for you help i can now put this down to being resolved.

Regards Paul 

Message 14 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@p5taylor wrote:

Now back down to a healthy 1.5G root usage. 

Much better!

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements