× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Cont

dweinshel
Tutor

System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact

So, I am now receiving this error message and have combed the community. I see many have this issue but I am still not able to figure out what to do. I have ssh'ed in to the root directory and can see that /dev/md0 is 89% full. Many posts say to delete this and all will be well. How to delete if that is the case? And how do I know that that will not harm my data and actually is the correct fix? I am new to ssh. Please help. I've spent hours researching the community and remain uncertain as to the next step. Using OS 6.10.0 RC2 I use no apps. Thanks DW
Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Cont

@dweinshel wrote:
I have ssh'ed in to the root directory and can see that /dev/md0 is 89% full. Many posts say to delete this and all will be well.

Absolutely not.  The NAS boots from the root partition.  You aren't understanding what you are reading.

If you don't have a backup of your data, you should certainly make one.

You could try paid support (my.netgear.com), though they would charge.

However perhaps see if @JohnCM_S or @OOM-9 offer to take a look - they might want to, since any issues with 6.10 should be solved before it is released.

Message 2 of 6
asimb
Star

System volume root's usage is 84%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions.

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. Since March the 5th the antivirus didn't update any more. On March the 17th I received the error message "System volume root's usage is 84%".

After 4 hours of investigation and research I think, I found out the problem. According to the information about OS 6.10 the newest version of the antivirus "ClamAV" is too large for the RN100-series.

I connected to the NAS via SSH and tried to update the antivirus manually by using "freshclam". The download of the latest databases  worked fine, but the update of the antivirus ended in an endless loop and the root usage increased to 94%. After some research I found out, that the antivirus makes for each update a temporary directory located at /var/lib/clamav beginning with "clamav-..." and ending with ".tmp". Each of  the directories has about 133MB. Each time the antivirus updates, the downloaded data are stored in such a directory, but if the update fails, the directory is not removed! So after about 10 days the root-volume is filled up and the system crashes.

My solution (usage on your own risk): remove the temporary directories mentioned above in /var/lib/clamav (BE CAREFUL - wrong deletion can destroy your system!). After this deactivate the anti-virus (else the next update will also fail and the filling up starts again). Restart the system to be sure, that all tasks are ended. On my NAS this worked.  

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 6
JohnT123456
Aspirant

Hi just found this post as I have the same problem, please can you explain in basic steps for a novice about SSH, I don't have a clue about it. I have turned it on from the admin page so good to go....I think.

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
Jos011157
Aspirant

Hi,

I have the same problem but also do not know how to connect using SSH. (error message and antivirus issue since March 5)

Which tools are needed. What to do and which files (directories) do I need to delete.

Please instruct properly so we can get this done.

Or sent out a fix so it automatically will be resolved.

Regards

Jos

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Jos011157 wrote:

Which tools are needed. What to do and which files (directories) do I need to delete.

Read this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements