× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: System volume root's usage is 91%

Andrew86
Aspirant

System volume root's usage is 91%

We had a power surge at my work today. After turning our Readynas 312 running 6.6.0 back on, all seemed normal, but I got anemail saying the following:

Less than 10% of volume media's capacity is free. Performance on volume media is degraded. To improve performance, you must add capacity.

Then later when trying to save a file, after naming it and hitting save, suddenly the directory could not be found. The connection to the nas on all my computers had been lost. Then it came back but went again. So I shut it down and turned it back on.

Then I got the same last email, but also the below:

System volume root's usage is 91%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support.

The drive(s) are only filled up just over half way. Has something beed damaged with the power outage earlier?

Model: RN31221D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That message is saying that the 4GB root volume is 91% full, not the data volume.

Message 2 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

That message is saying that the 4GB root volume is 91% full, not the data volume.

"That message" being the one on the system volume root usage.

The root issue should be dealt with first.  Do you have ssh enabled on the NAS?  What apps are running?

Message 3 of 10
Andrew86
Aspirant

SSH is not enabled and I do not have any apps running.

This morning (after the weekend), I got this message:

"remove inactive volumes to use the disk. Disk #1, 2."

Going into shares states that no volumes exist...

I can format and restore from a backup, but I am still having the issues with the system root being 91% full and less than 10% media capacity is free.

Message 4 of 10
Andrew86
Aspirant

So now things got worse then a little better...

Nothing would update on the nas login page, I couldn't eject the backup drive, so unplugged it and it still reported as being connected. The main data volume was still missing. So I restarted the NAS again, to find that i could no longer get to the web portal login at all. So I turned it off at the power button, back on again and it has worked, but many options have reset and antivirus is disabled.

The volumes are reporting as normal, all logs are the same (same error/warning messages, old logs still there), but many other things have reset. I didn't receive the warning emails, for example.

The shares exist but are not shared, and in settings only HTTPS is enabled. When trying to enable SMB, it askes me to put in the workgroup name (and tick 'enable smb') whether I put in our workgroup name or leave the default (negative number...? eg. -2147500037) it fails with the message 'Service operation failed' and the number '15002020817'. It's the same when I try to enable anything else.

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

I think you should contact support.

If you were the original purchase of the RN300, and purchased between 1 June 2014 and 31 May 2016 then you have free lifetime chat support.

Message 6 of 10
Andrew86
Aspirant

I did an OS reinstall via the boot menu options as I had nothing to lose at that point. That didn't fix it so I did a Factory default reset and restored from my backup drive. Everything is back to normal now.

I've been too busy at work to get on here since, but thanks for the help. This may have been an extreme measure, but since once I backed up my backup drive to another drive, I was sure my data was safe so decided to try and reset from scratch. We will be looking into a UPS for the future... the issue may have happened when the NAS was starting back up. We borrowed power from next door via an extension lead. I plugged in our network gear (NAS, switches, router) and started it up, and then other people were plugging in a computer via another extension lead from next door. They had an issue with a dodgy power board so yelled out to next door to switch it off. He switched off both... while the nas was booting. Not sure if this or the initial power surge was the issue, but I thought I should document it here.

Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A power issue wouldn't lead to the root volume getting 91% full.

Message 8 of 10
Andrew86
Aspirant

If I'm not getting either of the errors anymore I assume all is okay? Or could the issue reappear from something being wrong? It would be a pretty big coincidence that it just happened to first appear after the power issue. I didn't get any similar errors prior to this happening.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Personally I'd enable ssh and see how full the OS partition is now.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements