× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: System volume root's usage is 96%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions

Irish_John
Aspirant

System volume root's usage is 96%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions

Im running 6.10 and have the above issue - still. So 6.10 is not the solution to the problem. It does noty help that the posting are all closed off with that being panacea. I expect when whatever it is, that has happened as a result of the OS design - not user malparactise - will eventually bring my NAS to a halt - so please let mek now what fix is, is in the menatime until there is a real fix how I can delete files in the root, without having to go back to college!

Thanks,

John H

Model: RN10442D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: System volume root's usage is 96%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions

You say "still".  Does that mean you had the issue and updated with it already present?  The fixes in 6.10.0 won't undo the damage from an earlier version's mis-deeds.  In fact, updating the firmware on a system with a near-full OS partition is not advasable, as it may complete the filling.

There are messages in the forum about how to resolve the problem using SSH commands.  But that's not something everyone should be trying.  I must say that if Netgear is charging folks to fix an issue created by bad programming and worse version testing, then shame on them.

Message 2 of 15
Irish_John
Aspirant

Installed 6.10 hoping it would resolve issue. So Netgear - are you coming to save me?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 3 of 15
twmayben
Aspirant

Would a factory-reset fix this? I don't want to attempt the SSH solution.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 4 of 15
Irish_John
Aspirant

Not going to happen - I would loose all my data.

Message 5 of 15
mdgm
Virtuoso

Not only would a factory reset wipe all the data, it’d also wipe all evidence of what caused the problem in the first place.

The thing about these problems is that you never know if it’s going to be a quick thing to fix or something more complicated.

It’s not normal for the 4GB root volume to fill up. I’ve had systems running for several years without ever filling their root volumes.

Message 6 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Irish_John wrote:

Not going to happen ...

Odds are that the OS partition filled up due to the ClamAV issue (which seemed to hit the RN100 users).

If you do nothing, the OS partition can completely fill.  Configuration files can become corrupt, and the NAS often won't boot.  You'll need to use paid Netgear support at that point.

So you should pick one of the options below:

FWIW, if it's not ClamAV, it could be remnants of real-time transcoding files from Plex.  That wouldn't apply to the RN100, since it can't do real-time transcoding.  But it might the issue if you have an RN200 or better (and use Plex).  That also can be easily diagnosed and fixed with ssh.

@Irish_John wrote:

... I would lose all my data.

Then you need to put a backup plan in place.

Message 7 of 15
Irish_John
Aspirant

Interesting advice, but would prefer Netgear provide stable releases instead of imposing the requirement on me to buy another NAS!

Why should I or anyone else have to pay Netgear to pay for a solution for something their software release caused - REALLY interested in that answer!

Message 8 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Irish_John wrote:

Interesting advice,

Well, your other option (assuming your system root is 96% full) is just to kiss your data goodbye and wait.

I am a customer too, so I get your point.  But if you are in this situation, your data is at some risk.

Message 9 of 15
Irish_John
Aspirant

I am going to (optimistically) believe that Netgear are going to reach out to me to resolve this.

And out of technical interest, how do I lose all my data if root is at 100%?

Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@Irish_John wrote:

And out of technical interest, how do I lose all my data if root is at 100%?

At some point the NAS won't boot any more (except in tech support mode or perhaps the new recovery mode).

Slightly before that point, the NAS can't update it's configuration files and database, so you end up with a corrupted/inconsistent configuration.

@Irish_John wrote:

I am going to (optimistically) believe that Netgear are going to reach out to me to resolve this.

So far they haven't done that (at least not in any public post here) and it's been about 2 months since the ClamAV issue surfaced.  During that time we've also seen a couple of cases where Plex caused the problem (and Netgear isn't responsible for misbehavior in a third party app).

Message 11 of 15
Irish_John
Aspirant

So a minute is a lifetime - 48 hours or is it days, months, can't remember now, but deafening silence from Netgear was apparent.

SSH'd in and deleted all the anti-virus files.

Problem gone, so is Netgear as a potential candidate for work NAS tertiary storage. Thanks to those who took time to comment.

Message 12 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

@Irish_John at the end of the day a 100 series ReadyNAS is an entry level NAS predominantly designed/intended for home use.

You were given options/solutions to get you out of your predicament (by other ReadyNAS Users on this forum) which you scoffed at, prefering to expect Netgear to drop everything and rush to your aid - that was never going to happen sadly for an entry level user.

Once our forum users helped you out (with solutions) you then targeted  "Netgear as a potential candidate for work NAS tertiary storage", you need to dig much deeper into your wallet for that and invest in hard/software to support your needs and a sustainable data recovery strategy plan

Message 13 of 15
Irish_John
Aspirant

Yawn...nighty night, are you and your ego allowed out this late?

I wont be replying to whatever further idiocy you will be compelled to write..but go ahead, knock yourself out.

Message 14 of 15
bedlam1
Prodigy

@Irish_John Thank you for that

I also will not respond further except to say that your mentality has now been revealed, I doubt you will get much future help on this forum  

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements