× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

System volume root's usage is 99%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact

monolith77
Guide

System volume root's usage is 99%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact

For the last few  days the root usage on my NAS has increased from the initial warning of 81% to now 99%.

there is plenty of space on the data drives 1.13TB free and the device is backed up daily to a USB HDD.

There are no apps installed and we have the following enabled

SMB. AFP. ReadyDNA. UPnP. HTTP. HTTPS. SSH. and I just turned off antivirus this monring.

Running firmware 6.9.1 Readynas 102

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: System volume root's usage is 99%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Cont

The cause is almost certainly antivirus - for some reason it has been filling up the OS partition on RN100 systems with temporary files.

You can contact paid support (my.netgear.com), and they can clean it remotely.

If you prefer to do it yourself, there is a guide here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

Note that Netgear will be removing the antivirus service in the RN100 series in the next release (6.10, which is at RC-2 so it should reach production soon).  The platform doesn't have enough memory to run all the features in the current firmare. 

Since you'll shortly lose the built-in Antivirus anyway, I recommend just leaving it off when the system is cleaned.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
monolith77
Guide

Re: System volume root's usage is 99%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Cont

I think I may have solved this using StevenB's answer https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

I will post back solved or not tomorrow if I receive another email in the morning.

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

The cause is almost certainly antivirus - for some reason it has been filling up the OS partition on RN100 systems with temporary files.

If you prefer to do it yourself, there is a guide here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

Note that Netgear will be removing the antivirus service in the RN100 series in the next release (6.10, which is at RC-2 so it should reach production soon).  The platform doesn't have enough memory to run all the features in the current firmare. 

Since you'll shortly lose the built-in Antivirus anyway, I recommend just leaving it off when the system is cleaned.

Message 3 of 4
monolith77
Guide

@StephenB wrote:

Thank you StevenB

I just followed that guide you wrote, it is very helpfull and I think it has solved the issue.

I will post back solved tomorrow if I dont get an email overnight.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements