× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: TIP: CrashPlan Pro 4.9 DOES Work With Headless ReadyNAS Over X

CarlEdman
Luminary

TIP: CrashPlan Pro 4.9 DOES Work With Headless ReadyNAS Over X

As a follow on the discussion on what to do about the discontinuation of CrashPlan Home a couple months ago, let me add one coda:

I decided to go with CrashPlan Pro, as for my requirements (continuous TB backups directly from the NAS), it was really the only affordable option.

I did the transfer, but was informed by the excellent tech support at Code42 that headless mode was no longer supported as the interface (CrashPlanDesktop) has to run on the same machine as the engine (CrashPlanEngine) since 4.9!

After a brief panic, I decided to run a free X Server (vcxsrv) on my Windows machine while running CrashPlanDesktop on the ReadyNAS.

And--mirabile dictu--it seems to work just fine.  CrashPlanDesktop via X looks and feels nearly identical to the old remote client.  I am still resyncing the new install, but that has been done many times successfully.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@CarlEdman wrote:

I decided to run a free X Server (vcxsrv) on my Windows machine while running CrashPlanDesktop on the ReadyNAS.

And--mirabile dictu--it seems to work just fine.  CrashPlanDesktop via X looks and feels nearly identical to the old remote client.  

Thanks for posting this tip, I'm sure others will find it useful.

I'm running Crashplan on a PC, mounting the NAS data volume as a network drive.  That is also working fine - though I had to start with a new backup archive, and getting the initial backup complete is going is slower than I expected.  However, it is getting there (albeit slowly).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@CarlEdman wrote:

I decided to run a free X Server (vcxsrv) on my Windows machine while running CrashPlanDesktop on the ReadyNAS.

And--mirabile dictu--it seems to work just fine.  CrashPlanDesktop via X looks and feels nearly identical to the old remote client.  

Thanks for posting this tip, I'm sure others will find it useful.

I'm running Crashplan on a PC, mounting the NAS data volume as a network drive.  That is also working fine - though I had to start with a new backup archive, and getting the initial backup complete is going is slower than I expected.  However, it is getting there (albeit slowly).

Message 2 of 6
CarlEdman
Luminary

Thanks, @StephenB, and good luck with your setup!

For the record, here is what the CrashPlan Pro interface looks like when running on the ReadyNAS and displayed on my Windows workstation via X:Untitled.png

The reason the backup has six months to complete is that I had to delete (and back up locally) a part of my media library to get under the 5 TByte limit for transfers.

PS: Lest there be a misunderstanding: You don't need to run your X Server and CrashPlanDesktop on your PC continuously in order to use CrashPlan Pro on your ReadyNAS; you only need to do that during setup and when you want to run the interface to check backup status.  Even if X and CrashPlanDesktop are not running (as you'd prefer not to in order to avoid ReadyNAS resources), the backup themselves happen automatically and continuously (and the company will send you an email when there is a problem, so you can check it out locally).

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@CarlEdman wrote:

The reason the backup has six months to complete is that I had to delete (and back up locally) a part of my media library to get under the 5 TByte limit for transfers.

Exactly.  I chose to start over with ~10TB of data.  It's about half way done, after about 3 months.  That's acceptable, since it is only for disaster recovery.  But I was thinking I'd get faster backup speeds, esp. since I have gigabit internet service.

In hindsight, I should have used your strategy, it would have likely been finished about now.

Message 4 of 6
CarlEdman
Luminary

In my experience, CrashPlan backup speed has virtually nothing to do with your bandwidth.  Even my pocky 100 MBps connection can push one TByte/day.  Rather, it is either your local processing speed or, more likely, Code42 throttling.  At the price, I don't blame the throttling much as the residual speed is fine for day-to-day use; it is just initial backups which take forever.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@ CarlEdman wrote:

Rather, it is either your local processing speed or, more likely, Code42 throttling. 

It's throttling.  Crashplan sets the expectations quite low:  CrashPlan app users can expect to back up about 10 GB of information to the Code42 cloud per day on average if the user's computer is powered on and not in standby mode. Code42 is a shared service, which means that upload and download speeds depend on the number of users connected at any given point. ( https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Backup_speed_does_not_match_available_bandwid... )

It's doing better than 10 GB/day - averaging more like 50 GB/day.  

I agree it's acceptable (and will keep up with my normal file churn).  I was expecting more though.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements