× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Thanks Very Much

signalman
Aspirant

Thanks Very Much

I've put this in streaming services because this is where I've received/given most help

After a year with my Readynas V1 (I had a Readynas Stora previously) I have decided it's time to move on

I realise that I have a product that is EOL but it seems that Netgear aren't interested in us anymore. Good product, cak support by Netgear

Thanks though to everyone on here that has helped me, particularly mdgm and StephenB

I am defecting to a Synology product

All the best - Signalman
Message 1 of 17
Marto731
Aspirant

Signalman,
There is a typo or a line I don't understand.?

(Good product, cak support by Netgear. ) Rgds Marto
Message 2 of 17
chirpa
Luminary

Message 3 of 17
gibxxi
Guide

...or "Cack" or "Kack". Spelling differs, meaning the same = Rubbish.
Message 4 of 17
signalman
Aspirant

Okay

I tried saying thank you for good support and help from people on the forum particularly from Mdgm and StephenB

But netgear don't seem bothered
Message 5 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

signalman wrote:

Thanks though to everyone on here that has helped me, particularly mdgm and StephenB

You're welcome
Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

signalman wrote:

I'm happy we were able to help.
Message 7 of 17
richmc
Aspirant

Seems Netgear support hasn't moved on from when I owned a 101 music streamer, I've been pondering a ReadyNAS, but now I'm not so sure, shame.
Message 8 of 17
signalman
Aspirant

Richmc - the product worked great, even though I had a bottom of the range (and now) end of line product

The support from this forum is great

Netgear support/help = cak (if unusure of what cak means, see earlier post) - and not just for my outdated model
Message 9 of 17
Marto731
Aspirant

Slang

Signalman,
I am in Ireland, and I don't understand the slang of other countries.

Rgds Marto
Message 10 of 17
kcrossley
Aspirant

signalman wrote:
I've put this in streaming services because this is where I've received/given most help

After a year with my Readynas V1 (I had a Readynas Stora previously) I have decided it's time to move on

I realise that I have a product that is EOL but it seems that Netgear aren't interested in us anymore. Good product, cak support by Netgear

I am defecting to a Synology product

All the best - Signalman

No worries Signalman. I just defected too. I kinda feel like I've changed political parties or something, since I'm so familiar with my ReadNAS, but it's time to move on. 🙂
Message 11 of 17
chirpa
Luminary

kcrossley wrote:
No worries Signalman. I just defected too. I kinda feel like I've changed political parties or something, since I'm so familiar with my ReadNAS, but it's time to move on. 🙂
I hear ya. I just built my own NAS to replace existing stuff at home.
Message 12 of 17
kcrossley
Aspirant

Hey chirpa, Good to hear from you. I've got a place setup on the Synology forum for you and your Star Wars buddies and anyone else moving over from the dark side. LOL Check it out: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... 02&start=0
Message 13 of 17
tiranor
Aspirant

Hahaha, yo-dah will have to change to Si-dious 😄

As it evolves, i give couple months to my Ultra4 before i'm fed up and swicth to the dark side aswell...
Message 14 of 17
chirpa
Luminary

My new solution is not from a single vendor, mix-mash of stuff, but works out very nicely for my setup...

Mac Mini; with quad-core CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD internal.
Promise Pegasus J4 Thunderbolt JBOD; 4x1TB 2.5"
Running ESXi5.1 on the Mini, with an OSX inside that for desktop use (right now just my Fitbit :), also NexentaStor (ReadyDATA based on it) VM accessing the JBOD disks and SSD for NAS/SAN use. Still plenty of CPU and RAM via ESX to load other OSes as needed. Most likely going to get another J4 JBOD (can daisy-chain Thunderbolt) down the road.

Yes its not the cheapest solution, but I'm looking more for flexible and future-proof here. All in on cost so far (Mac,JBOD,SSD,RAM), I am floating around $1400. It also looks very slick/pretty beside the TV (the JBOD is same form factor as Mac Mini, stacked).
Message 15 of 17
kcrossley
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
My new solution is not from a single vendor, mix-mash of stuff, but works out very nicely for my setup...

Mac Mini; with quad-core CPU, 16GB RAM, 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD internal.
Promise Pegasus J4 Thunderbolt JBOD; 4x1TB 2.5"
Running ESXi5.1 on the Mini, with an OSX inside that for desktop use (right now just my Fitbit :), also NexentaStor (ReadyDATA based on it) VM accessing the JBOD disks and SSD for NAS/SAN use. Still plenty of CPU and RAM via ESX to load other OSes as needed. Most likely going to get another J4 JBOD (can daisy-chain Thunderbolt) down the road.

Yes its not the cheapest solution, but I'm looking more for flexible and future-proof here. All in on cost so far (Mac,JBOD,SSD,RAM), I am floating around $1400. It also looks very slick/pretty beside the TV (the JBOD is same form factor as Mac Mini, stacked).

Sounds sweet. Congratulations!
Message 16 of 17
gibxxi
Guide

My Ultra 4 is doing nicely. The latest firmware is stable for what I use it for, and everything works. atm, out of 5.4TB of storage, only 40% is used. Don't see the need to upgrade for a while yet, but if/when i do, all brands will be considered. Could do with another Ultra 4 type NAS as a backup and to offload some of my apps off onto to ease the burden on the single unit I do own. I'm hoping a certain someone on these forums will be able to help realise that goal very soon.

😉
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements