× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

The reported temperature of a disk in the ReadyNAS has exceeded maximum recommended temperature

Ompie
Tutor

The reported temperature of a disk in the ReadyNAS has exceeded maximum recommended temperature

Hi all,

Last week my ReadyNAS NV+ shut down because of a high temperature on disk 4 (80°C while the others were at the regular 27 .. 31°C). Removing the disk immediately after such an error, it did not feel very hot.
Anyway, I did a thourough dust clean with a vacuum cleaner to be sure that wasn't the problem (I do this on a regular basis anyway so there wasn't a lot of dust).
Re-installing immediately gave the same error. My conclusion was therefore a faulty temperature sensor in the disk.
I bought a new disk (2TB, same size and the recommended replacement of the old one) and after installing everything worked fine again.

Until today... I now got the same error on disk 2 (102°C, even hotter!).

Of course I can buy another disk but the disk is probably not the problem.
Did anybody have the same experience and if so, are there any suggestions on how to tackle this ?

My configuration:

Until the first error:  4 identical 2TB disks, Seagate ST2000VN000-1HJ164
They all have the same age, about 21.000 Power-on hours

Firmware version RAIDiator 4.1.14

After the replacement of disk 4:

The new disk is a 2TB Seagate ST2000VN004-2E4164

I also upgraded the firmware to RAIDiator 4.1.16 (latest version)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jeroen

Model: ReadyNASRND4420|ReadyNAS NV+ 8TB (4 X 2TB)
Message 1 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: The reported temperature of a disk in the ReadyNAS has exceeded maximum recommended temperature

Hi @Ompie, I'm just curious how this went further and have no solution for you, sorry.

However, I would not be too much surprised if two disks from the same set installed in the past are dying almost at the same time.

Though you might not have seen any ATA-errors in this context, it would be interesting whether you have experienced an excessively higher load cycle count than power cycle count with the old disks?

Message 2 of 6
Ompie
Tutor

Re: The reported temperature of a disk in the ReadyNAS has exceeded maximum recommended temperature

Hi Roland,
After the failure of these two disks I did not experience any further problems (I bought two spare disks for the other two disks in the NAS but for now they stay in their boxes 🙂

Concerning your question about 'excessively higher load cycle count than power cycle count' I can actually answer you question since I made screen shots of the SMART info of all 4 disks when the first error occured. Here's the relevant info:

disk     load cycle    power cycle   Power on hours

1          8268             26                 20700

2*        9024             26                 20691

3          9743             31                 22306

4*        9746             30                 22305

Disk 2 and 4 are the ones that have been replaced after the 'high temperature' problem. So funny enough, they did not have the same age (as you can see, disk pairs 1+2 and 3+4 were installed at different times).

Can you explain me what you consider 'excessive load cycles' compared to power cycles and why this would be relevant ?

Jeroen

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Ompie wrote:

disk     load cycle    power cycle   Power on hours

1          8268             26                 20700

2*        9024             26                 20691

3          9743             31                 22306

4*        9746             30                 22305

The data sheet for your disks specs the load cycle count at 600,000, so that doesn't to be an issue here.

Some old "green" disks had head parking thresholds that weren't well-tuned for linux.  That resulted in very high load cycle counts.  But you shouldn't be seeing this on a current disk (especially a NAS-purposed drive like the Ironwolf).

Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@StephenB wrote: "Some old "green" disks had head parking thresholds that weren't well-tuned for linux.  That resulted in very high load cycle counts.  But you shouldn't be seeing this on a current disk (especially a NAS-purposed drive like the Ironwolf)."

Yes, you should not, but you could, I would like to add.  But thanks to the numbers provided by @Ompie, we know now, that a "parking-problem" was probably not the issue here. @Ompie, if you still have older logs you downloaded before removing the faulty disks you could check logfile "disk_info.log" to see what the values were for the culprits. Excessive load cycle counts would of course wear off a disk much more than it usually would be under normal circumstances and therefore could be the root cause for the fault.

Great to hear, that all is fine on your side. Thanks @StephenB for kicking in.

Kind regards

Message 5 of 6
Ompie
Tutor

Thanks both of you for your input !

Jeroen

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements