× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine 2tb limit?

axel1
Aspirant

nathan-opscode wrote:
So yeah, I now have 6 of my employees setup with private 400G shares they're each using for Time Machine backups. It's a manual process to get setup and required the root-ssh plugin to get figured out, but shouldn't be too hard to wrap in a tiny shell script. This should allow me to have each employee have a private 400G TM, and use up all 7T in our ReadyNAS when we grow to 14 users 😉

Since I'm finding myself in a similar position, I'm curious: how did you create each of those private shares?
Did you use the approach described in "Making Time Machine work with the ReadyNAS"? ( http://www.readynas.com/?p=253)
Since you mention root-ssh, I assume you did something else?
Message 26 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

RAIDiator x86 4.2.10 Beta makes some changes:

yoh-dah wrote:

Enhancements:

1. [T40] Default file system for all x86 devices is now Ext4. If you factory default the ReadyNAS with 4.2.10, you will get the Ext4 with support for files as large as 16TB on 64-bit ReadyNAS systems (Pro, 3100, 3200, 4200). If you upgrade from Ext3, you’ll still be limited to 2TB. We are looking at coming out with an add-on that allows you to convert your Ext3 file system to Ext4.
4. [T40] Time Machine limit is now 4TB with Ext4 on 64-bit systems (2TB otherwise).
Message 27 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Hi,
I am curious as to why Time Machine is limited to 4TB on Ext4 now instead of 16TB files that Ext4 should support. Anyone know?

It is really disappointing that Netgear is not supporting the full size of the NAS after more than a year. Backing up a 4 x 2TB RAID 5 (or whatever) Mac via Time Machine still won't work with ReadyNAS (although Drobo handles it fine).

Thanks
Message 28 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Hi,
I'm considering turning on Time Machine support in the ReadyNAS, setting it to the maximum size it allows (4085 GB), creating a sparsebundle image larger than that with htutil and then copying it over to the ReadyNAS.

I know that sparsebundle images can be created with htutil well above the TB range, into the peta and exa-byte ranges (http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/ ... til.1.html) so it is not an issue with sparsebundles. Likewise, I know that TimeMachine can backup to volumes larger than 4TB (e.g. 8 bay Drobo with 2 TB drives works fine).

So, this is again an issue with the ReadyNAS Pro.

Anyone see any issues with creating a backup this way or have a better solution?

e.g. should I just turn off the ReadyNAS support, create the sparse bundle there and use it that way?

Thanks for any insight.
Message 29 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Well, replacing the ReadyNAS Pro time machine files with a new sparsebundle that was larger didn't help. Still limited to 4.38TB on the ReadyNAS Pro. I am not sure what the issue is with the ReadyNAS Pro and Time Machine with large backups, but it certainly hasn't been living up to its billings since it was released.

Any suggestions on just using a sparsebundle on the ReadyNAS and NOT using the built-in support for TimeMachine?

I am not sure if that would work or not, but am looking for a solution... 😉
Message 30 of 42
sphardy1
Apprentice

Check out: http://www.readynas.com/?p=253

I have 3 mac's all running this way with custom-sized sparsebundles and custom permissions. Not over 2 or 4TB, but I have read of at least one user successfully doing just that by this same method.

Note: If you're using Snow Leopard, take care regarding the sparsebundle naming convention as it appears to have changed (no ethernet address in the name)
Message 31 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've already asked about the 4TB limit.

See 4.2.10 T40 some questions

yoh-dah wrote:
mdgm wrote:
I'm just curious as to why NetGear would set a 4TB limitation for Time Machine (I'm not going to hit that anytime soon so it doesn't really bother me that much).

The Time Machine limitation get resolved slightly with Ext4, but the way we handle Time Machine so that it doesn't overrun the capacity on your ReadyNAS (which it can easily if you don't put a limit) requires more changes to support more than 4TB.

Perhaps NetGear or a community add-on developer like super-poussin could develop an add-on to allow users primarily using their ReadyNas for Time Machine to set a higher limit?
Message 32 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Thanks. I can get it running fine as long as the backup is going to be less than 4TB (now, 2TB before). It is just that Frontview and the ReadyNAS limit the size for some reason.

Thanks for the tip on the naming, fortuitously I had used: MacPro-DQC.sparsebundle so I don't think that is the issue. I can create the sparsebundle on the Mac, even copy the 6TB sparse image over to the ReadyNAS, but can't get Time Machine to recognize it.

Using the Frontview method, it has no problem backup up as long as it is under 4TB.

Strange.

sphardy wrote:
Check out: http://www.readynas.com/?p=253

I have 3 mac's all running this way with custom-sized sparsebundles and custom permissions. Not over 2 or 4TB, but I have read of at least one user successfully doing just that by this same method.

Note: If you're using Snow Leopard, take care regarding the sparsebundle naming convention as it appears to have changed (no ethernet address in the name)
Message 33 of 42
sphardy1
Apprentice

@centauratlas

It may just be a naming issue still. One way to double check is to point TM to a standard share on your nas without any pre-prepared sparsebundle and then start a backup job. This may fail but IIRC TM does *try* to make the sparsebundle and you will see this and the name that is used.

As a test I pointed one of my machines (10.6.2) to a new share and kicked off a TM backup. In the past this would fail as TM cannot make the sparsebundle, but interestingly under the 4.1.7 beta firmware the sparsebundle was created just fine. (note I'm using an NV+, not a pro)

I stopped the backup and, instead of creating a sparsebundle, used terminal & resized the TM created sparsebundle to 4TB

hdiutil resize -size 4T <sparsebundle>

I verified the size by mounting it before kicking off a backup job which then seemed to work fine, though I can't properly test this as I don't have an easy way to generate the backup data needed, nor the time.

But in principle it looks like it is possible to manually create a sparsebundle larger than the current Frontview limits
Message 34 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

sphardy wrote:

As a test I pointed one of my machines (10.6.2) to a new share and kicked off a TM backup. In the past this would fail as TM cannot make the sparsebundle, but interestingly under the 4.1.7 beta firmware the sparsebundle was created just fine. (note I'm using an NV+, not a pro)

TM can make the sparsebundle fine under Leopard on 4.1.6. RAIDiator 4.1.7 for Sparc and RAIDiator 4.2.10 for x86 include Netatalk 2.0.5. This includes Snow Leopard Time Machine Support along with a range of other AFP fixes.
Message 35 of 42
centauratlas
Tutor

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I am going to give it a try and see.

The thing is that I can use whatever bundle it is named, if it is ~4TB or below.

🙂
Thanks

sphardy wrote:
@centauratlas

It may just be a naming issue still. One way to double check is to point TM to a standard share on your nas without any pre-prepared sparsebundle and then start a backup job. This may fail but IIRC TM does *try* to make the sparsebundle and you will see this and the name that is used.

I stopped the backup and, instead of creating a sparsebundle, used terminal & resized the TM created sparsebundle to 4TB

hdiutil resize -size 4T <sparsebundle>

I verified the size by mounting it before kicking off a backup job which then seemed to work fine, though I can't properly test this as I don't have an easy way to generate the backup data needed, nor the time.

But in principle it looks like it is possible to manually create a sparsebundle larger than the current Frontview limits
Message 36 of 42
Francofinch
Aspirant

Hello!! I am looking at buying a few of the 2TB Time Capsules for our office, where we have about 20 unibody MacBook Pros with 128GB SSDs.

Is there a limit on the number of Macs that a single 2TB Time Capsule can provide Time Machine backup targets to? Does anyone have advice or experience regarding using a Time Capsule as a target for multiple machines?
Message 37 of 42
nathan_opscode
Aspirant

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=57003

No single TM over the limit, but this method is allowing me to make use of the space divided out amongst a number of users.
Message 38 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 4TB limit for x86 ReadyNAS has been lifted (this thread is quite old by the way). The 2TB limit still applies to Sparc (I think).

Francofinch, personally I wouldn't use a Time Capsule. A ReadyNAS Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200) would be a great choice.
Message 39 of 42
Snuffyspaw_aol_
Aspirant

I want to be sure I understand this limit stuff. Please correct me where I'm wrong.

TimeMachine has a 2 TB limit for its sparsebundles. ReadyNAS with a sparc board has a 2 TB limit for each hard drive. ReadyNAS with a x86 has no limit for each hard drive?
Message 40 of 42
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The limit is based on the filesystem. Sparc ReadyNAS use EXT3 which has a 2TB limit per file. native EXT4 with huge file support (on x86 ReadyNAS last factory reset on 4.2.11 or later, 4.2.12 or later for NVX or 2100v1) has a 16TB limit per file.

As for the drive size limit, that is an unrelated issue. Sparc ReadyNAS (e.g. Duo v1 and NV+ v1) do not have GPT support which means they can't handle drives larger than 2TB in size. x86 ReadyNAS on 4.2.16 or later have GPT support. While there is a limit on what can be handled on x86 ReadyNAS at this time it's huge and we're several years away from reaching that limit.

The Duo v2 and NV+ v2 are ARM devices and can handle drives larger than 2TB in size. On ARM devices you set a quota for Time Machine larger than 2TB
Message 41 of 42
Snuffyspaw_aol_
Aspirant

Thanks for your prompt response.

The board in the ReadyNAS unit has a file size limitation and an unrelated hard drive size limitation.

How does the TimeMachine limitation fit into this? Is it the same as the file size limitation of the board? Or is it a third separate issue?
Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 41 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements