× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine Failed Verification

JustKJ
Aspirant

Time Machine Failed Verification

My iMac generated this error message twice in a row. A verification was completed and to improve reliability, time machine must create a new backup.  I have seen this message about every 12 or so months. But have never had it consecutively.

Screen Shot 2018-12-03 at 11.20.42 AM.png

I clicked Start a new Backup.  19 hours later it completed...and...displayed the same dialog box again!

I contacted Apple. They looked at the message, asked me questions about my rig, consulted with a senior advisor, and then said "...reach out to Netgear.  This seems to be a connection issue with that NAS"

Reading back throught the Forums, I see some possibly related posts from 2011 and 2016 that basically degraded into a Apple Says/Netgear Says as to where the problem is.

My hope is some progress has been made since then.

My Rig: 27"  iMac (late 2012), Mojave 10.14.1(18875), 32 GB RAM, 1 TB Hard Drive (77% full),  

My Network:  

• Netgear ReadyNAS 314 (configured in xraid, with 4 x 6TB drives)
  • Netgear WND4300 Router
  • Netgear CM500-100NAS Cable Modem
  • Netgear Switch GS108

Both the iMac and the NAS are connected to the switch by Cat6 cables and the whole network is protect by UPS.

The only physical change is I hot swapped upgraded my last 3 TB drive to the new 6TB drive about three or four weeks ago.  Backups ran fine since then until last week.

Any thoughts or new posts that I missed that address this type of problem.

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 4
JustKJ
Aspirant

Its been puring along unitl just last night and there was an error finding the target drive/folder.  I rebooted the NAS and now its "verified" and need to Start a New Backup.

I guess I am now looking for recomendations for a Time Machine destination other than my ReadyNAS which cannot seem to handle it.

Message 2 of 4
JustKJ
Aspirant

The Result with a Netgear support chat. "Not our problem, Talk to apple"  Thanks for nothing.  I am so happy that I have spent $1000 expanding my ReadyNAS to 24TB.

...As you are aware When you configure a Time Machine job with a ReadyNas, a portion of the storage from teh RaedyNas is allocated to the Time Machine

5:42:55 PM

This is known as a sparse bundle

5:43:07 PM

This sparse bundle is impenetrable - basically the NAS cannot read the data in the sparse bundle. Only Time Machine can read the data

5:46:33 PM

As this point I would recommend speaking to Apple support again. I cannot see any communication errors or any other errors that could be causing this issue.

Message 3 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @JustKJ

Were you able to check on your NAS Network settings like the DNS servers? This goes with your iMac too. Also. have you tried recreating your Time Machine backup on the NAS? Updating your NAS firmware to 6.9.4 or 6.9.5 might also help before trying to recreate Time machine.

The message you are getting seems to be related to your MacOS verifying the backups made and stored to your NAS and then recommending to create a new one.

Regards

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements