× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine/SMB issues with macOS Mojave

nsne
Virtuoso

Time Machine/SMB issues with macOS Mojave

For several weeks now—well, pretty much since late September when Mojave was released—I've run into issues with Time Machine backups via SMB.

SS3.png

What happens is that the first backup of the day will definitely succeed, then possibly the second. Then, at some point, the backups begin failing because the backup disk can't be found and/or "doesn't support the required capabilities" (see the screenshot). I have to restart either the NAS or the Mac to get TIme Machine backups to resume successfully.

SS2.png

Oddly, if I restart the NAS, I'll get a notification on the Mac that the network share containing the Time Machine backup was interrupted. The reason it's odd is because the TM backup disk appears to have been invisibly mounted the whole time the system was unable to backup.

SS1.png
Most of my Macs are connected to my RN314 over a wired connection, so it's not a matter of network dropouts. I've also used two different routers, an Asus RT-AC88U and one I'm currently testing for Netgear, so it's not a router issue. This is also happening on two different ReadyNAS models running 6.9.1 Hotfix 1 — a 314 and an Ultra 4.

I've had to turn off automatic backups to prevent the frequent error messages, which kind of defeats the point of Time Machine.

Is this a known issue? Anyone got any insight as to what might be causing it?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
nsne
Virtuoso

As of the latest macOS Mojave update (10.14.3), Time Machine functionality is back to normal. Everyone in our household has been able to re-enable automatic Time Machine backups without encountering errors.

So it might have been a persistent issue on Apple's side. Which wouldn't be surprising, as their Q&A for both hardware and software is abysmal these days.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

HI @nsne

What firmware are you running? Can you try to update to 6.9.5-T7 that fixes issues with SMB Connections.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 7
nsne
Virtuoso

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a go once the current Time Machine backup completes.

Message 3 of 7
nsne
Virtuoso

No joy. Still seeing the exact same problem on 6.9.5-T7.

Message 4 of 7
sfinn
Guide

Any progress here? I'm facing a similar problem.

Message 5 of 7
nsne
Virtuoso

None. Everyone in our house has had to disable automatic Time Machine backups to avoid encountering the error. 

Message 6 of 7
nsne
Virtuoso

As of the latest macOS Mojave update (10.14.3), Time Machine functionality is back to normal. Everyone in our household has been able to re-enable automatic Time Machine backups without encountering errors.

So it might have been a persistent issue on Apple's side. Which wouldn't be surprising, as their Q&A for both hardware and software is abysmal these days.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements