× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine backup including ReadyNAS share

ale2
Aspirant

Time Machine backup including ReadyNAS share

Hi all,

I finished my first Time Machine backup a few days ago (macOS High Sierra) to a Private Time Machine share, and I started copying some files to a new share on the NAS (424 fw 6.9.5) via SMB and Finder. I noticed that the hourly Time Machine backups are now backing up several GB each time, which correspond to the files I've copied to the SMB share. I tried adding the shares I created and that are visible on the sidebar in the Finder, to the Time Machine exclusion list, but after saving and going back to the exclusion list, they have disappeared and the shares keep getting backed up.

I also run the following command to see what Time Machine was backing up:

sudo fs_usage -f filesys backupd

And I saw that the files started with "/dev/disk1s1", so it seems macOS sees the shares as disks, and so backs them up.

Is there a way to mount these shares some other way to ensure they are not included in the Time Machine backup? Or is this maybe a bug in High Sierra and Time Machine shouldn't include network shares?

Thanks!

Model: RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements