× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine can’t access the backup disk

tomjp
Tutor

Time Machine can’t access the backup disk

ReadyNAS RN10221D-100NAS
MAC OS: 10.7.5
using time machine for my backups
sharing ReadyNAS with two macs. One on wifi and the other directly connected by ethenet to my router.

I bought this ReadyNAS as it was suppose to work with MAC OS and with Time Machine. It was not easy to install and setup and every couple of months I have had issues. Now I cant get Time Machine to connect to my ReadyNAS. I have attached a old backup HD I had and Time Machine finds it and starts a back up. With the ReadyNAS I receive the following error message: Time Machine can’t access the backup disk “timemachine”. The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 57 and also 89.) I tried my wifes MacBook and it does the same. I attach the old HD and it connects and backsup. So it is NOT the Mac or time machine it is the ReadyNAS.

I am technical enough to solve simple problems but not enough to go beyond this. Anyone can help a less than technical person?
Message 1 of 5
meverz
Apprentice

I have had this happen a couple times to me already as well. Not sure what causes the issue but the fix (at least in my experience) has been pretty easy.

Simply access the web GUI of the NAS
1. Backup,
2. Time machine,
3. Select the private time machine that has been "lost",
4. Click settings, don't change anything,
5. Just press Apply.

That seems to work for me when the time machine goes missing.

tomjp wrote:
every couple of months I have had issues.

Out of Curiosity, what other issues are you having?
Message 2 of 5
tomjp
Tutor

I am actually using Shared Time Machine to backup two different macs. It was working before so not sure what happened.

Other issues have been that once a month I get a message that I have to do a complete backup. This concerns me as while it is doing a complete backup, as I understand, all the data from previous backups are being erased, which defeats the purpose of the time machine.
Message 3 of 5
meverz
Apprentice

tomjp wrote:
I am actually using Shared Time Machine to backup two different macs.

Have you tried disabling the shared time machine, then re enabling it (in the Web GUI)?

tomjp wrote:
Other issues have been that once a month I get a message that I have to do a complete backup. This concerns me as while it is doing a complete backup, as I understand, all the data from previous backups are being erased, which defeats the purpose of the time machine.

Yeah, I've been getting this as well, and trying to get to the bottom of it. It is annoying as anything. Thankfully I have a couple of Time Machine backups, so I just copy one of my other backupx to the NAS and so retain most of my backup history.
Message 4 of 5
tomjp
Tutor

Yes I disabled and re-enabled the shared time machine. I am considering starting over and return to factory defaults, if someone can't help here or throwing the ReadyNAS out the window.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements