× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine on 2nd Volume

inigocanedo
Aspirant

Time Machine on 2nd Volume

Hello Everyone,

I just got a new ReadyNAS and I put 2 HDD in a Raid 1 configuration (4TB) to be used as sharable storage and file library in the agency but I also got yesterdey a new 10TB HDD that i separated into a 2nd Volume to be used for Time Machine. The problem is when I try to configure Time Machine the only option I get (given the available space option) is to use the first 4TB Volume...

Any ideas how to allocate Time Machine into the Second Volume?

I'm running OS 6.10.1

I'm also attaching som screenshots

Thanks in advance

Model: RN524X|ReadyNAS 524X – Premium Performance Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Time Machine on 2nd Volume

@inigocanedo wrote:

Not sure you can.

But you could try destroying your RAID-1 volume (making sure you have the data backed up).  The NAS should then treat the jbod volume as the main volume - using it for home shares, apps, and Time Machine.

Then you could try removing the partitions of the 4 TB drives (or zeroing them) in a Windows PC.  After that you'd reinsert them, create a new RAID-1 volume, restore the shares, and backing up the data on them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@inigocanedo wrote:

Not sure you can.

But you could try destroying your RAID-1 volume (making sure you have the data backed up).  The NAS should then treat the jbod volume as the main volume - using it for home shares, apps, and Time Machine.

Then you could try removing the partitions of the 4 TB drives (or zeroing them) in a Windows PC.  After that you'd reinsert them, create a new RAID-1 volume, restore the shares, and backing up the data on them.

Message 2 of 3
inigocanedo
Aspirant

Thank you very much Stephen, It worked great and it was even easier.

I had already backed up the 4TB drive, so I destroyed the RAID group, then restarted the NAS (I didn't need to remove the drives), went to the Time Machine configuration which showed now the 10TB size limit and then I added again the 4TB drives again as a new volume and restored the backup.

After re-adding the 4TB drives, they are still listed in first order (the same order as before), but the 10TB remained as the primary Volume.

I started Time Machine backups on 3 Macs and I confirmed they are using the 10TB drive.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements