× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine "disk not available" (RN104, firmware 6.10.2)

Time Machine "disk not available" (RN104, firmware 6.10.2)

I've been running macOS Catalina on my 2018 Mac mini since it was released, and my RN104 is on 6.10.2

Everything was fine and then I turned both Mac and NAS off while I was on vacation; since turning them back on*, I've been getting errors from Time Machine saying "Backup Disk Not Available; Try backing up again when RN104.local is available".  (*I wonder if the update to 6.10.2 happened when I rebooted, in which case it may be related to the problem - I don't recall when it updated.)

I've tested pointing Time Machine at my old NV+ and that works fine, so that (in my mind) points the finger squarely at the RN104.

I've turned off Shared Time Machine (on RN104), rebooted, re-enabled it, and I get the same error.

I've set up a Private Time Machine and get the same error.

(Incidentally, I am able to mount the shares from RN104 without any issue.)

I thought I would see if the Time Machine sparsebundle is visible on the network but I can't find it - I can, however, see the one on the NV+

This leads me to think that the RN104 isn't actually setting up for Time Machine correctly.

Any suggestions on what to check/try next?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @paul_henman @kbike26,

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.3 was released earlier today. The fix for the Time Machine issue is included on that firmware. You may download the firmware on this link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061727/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-3

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies

I wonder if this is related? "ReadyNAS OS 6.10.2 not recognizing Time Machine backup size"

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/ReadyNAS-OS-6-10-2-not-recognizing-...

If so, I guess there's nothing I can do but wait for a bug fix

"A fix for this issue will be included in the upcoming 6.10.3 beta firmware. There is no ETA yet on when it will be posted."

Message 2 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi paul_henman,

Yes, this is also related to that thread. There were some changes in how Apple is creating the Timemachine backup file. This is already addressed in the upcoming 6.10.3 beta firmware.

Regards,

Message 3 of 8

Thanks John.

Any idea if this is days|weeks|months away?

Message 4 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi paul_henman,

Unfortunately, we do not have any information yet on the ETA.

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
kbike26
Aspirant

I am having the same problem with my ReadyNas 422; firmware 6.10.2.

Although I can perform routine file and folder commands at will, the Time Machine connection is extremely unreliable.

The Time Machine works maybe once every 14 days. The majority of the time—and regardless of extensive troubleshooting and an otherwise successful connection over my local network—I receive the same message as above: "Backup Disk Not Available".

To be clear, this failure of the backup disk to be "available" occurs even when all other functions of the ReadyNAS are working just fine.

Time Machine compatibility claimed by Netgear is THE reason I purchased the ReadyNAS (and a Netgear router).

I have wasted countless hours on this. Not only does the ReadyNAS not work as advertised, the user documentation is completely inadequate. It is out of date and the instructions don't even match the current user interface.

When is this going to be fixed? At the present time I recommend to anyone who asks that they purchase a competing brand instead.

Message 6 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @paul_henman @kbike26,

ReadyNAS OS 6.10.3 was released earlier today. The fix for the Time Machine issue is included on that firmware. You may download the firmware on this link:

https://kb.netgear.com/000061727/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-10-3

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
kbike26
Aspirant

Hi @JohnCM_S,

Thanks for the update! I will download it and give it a try.

Cheers,

Kathy

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements