× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Time Machine shows less storage than allocated in OS 6

ChunkySocks
Guide

Time Machine shows less storage than allocated in OS 6

Both myself and my partner have 500 GB allocated each on our ReadyNAS as Private Time Machines.

When I go into Time Machine preferences on macOS, the Time Machine backup on the ReadyNAS displays there as being X.XX GB of 475 GB available. 

Why is there a 25 GB discrepancy?

Running 6.10.2, macOS 10.14.6

I believe it is the same situation for my partner but I will have to double-check, she is running Catalina.

I have taken a couple of screenshots but can't see how to insert them into this post despite uploading them to my user image gallery as there isn't an option in the editing menu bar to insert an image for me.

Model: RNDU2000|ReadyNAS Ultra 2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
ChunkySocks
Guide

I am keen to reclaim this space. If there is any additional info I can provide to troubleshoot this descrepancy, please let me know and I will my best to provide it.

IIRC when I first noticed this in the past, I did delete and re-create the Private Time Machine allocations but that didn't fix the discrepancy.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I'm wondering if there is simply a mismatch of the storage units being used (GiB vs GB).  But 500 GB would be the same as 465 GiB (not 475).  Can you confirm that that you are seeing 475?

Message 3 of 5
ChunkySocks
Guide

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am definitely seeing 475 GB but I understand your question, it did cross my mind too.

I can't seem to insert pictures into my posts but I uploaded a couple of screenshots to my gallery on my profile, one from the OS6 GUI and the other from Time Machine.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@ChunkySocks wrote:

Yes, I am definitely seeing 475 GB but I understand your question, it did cross my mind too.

I can't seem to insert pictures into my posts but I uploaded a couple of screenshots to my gallery on my profile, one from the OS6 GUI and the other from Time Machine.

I've looked at the screen shots, and of course they do confirm that the NAS shows 500 GB and the Mac shows 475.  And the GB/GIB theory would be working in the other direction (Macs use GB/TB; the NAS uses GiB/TiB) 

There is another possibility too - SMB space usage reports don't always exactly align with the actual on-disk usage.  At least that is the case with Windows - but I don't have a Mac, so I don't know if that's a possibility for Time Machine over SMB.  Maybe one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) can comment, or another Time Machine user here.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements