× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine won't delete old backups automatically as it should on ReadyNAS 626 with firmwar 6.10.8

PACMAN7
Tutor

Time Machine won't delete old backups automatically as it should on ReadyNAS 626 with firmwar 6.10.8

Haven't had much luck with this RN626 ReadyNAS since I purchased it a couple of years ago for the following tasks:

• to run six surveillance cameras, 

• and back up six Macs in the household with Time Machine.

Three months in, Netgear removed Milestone Arcus—causing me to have to buy another Mac to run the cameras. And Time Machine has never been able to delete old backups to free up allocated space as it should.

I've tried several ways to increase the sparse bundles, but nothing seems to work. The drives either go read-only, or I'm no longer able to gain access to them, my only way out being to wipe everything and start again after reseting the unit—which I've done several times now and getting fed up with having to do so.

I've recently set one of the computers (the MacMini that now deals with surveillance) to back up to the shared Time Machine facility on the NAS, instead of it's own Private Time Machine, to see if that will make any difference.

As far as Time Machine allocation goes, I always set them larger than the hard drives they're backing up. i.e. The MacMini has a 500GB SSD, and the private Time Machine allocation was 2,500GB. The new Shared Time Machine space that it backs up to additionally for testing purposes is set at 5,000GB.

And if it helps to know, the ReadyNAS has 6x4TB HDs configured in a RAID 5 array with currently 12TB of free space.

If anyone can shed some light here I'd be most grateful.

Thanks,

Phil

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements