× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Time Machine

Denis1
Tutor

Time Machine

I got a ReadyNas Pro with frimware 6.10.1; my timemachine was setup with an old Firmware. Was working with no problems at all. Today my older IMac hadn't done it's backup. I tried to see if Timemachine was being advertised on the network, nothing. I looked at backup-> timemachine. I stop the serviced and then restarted the service. I got a crasy error.

Can not enable time machine. only supported with authentication type is local user.

How can this be? Been using this with a server for years. Now, I can't enble Time machine because I'm not using a local authentication.

Model: RNDP2230|ReadyNAS Pro 2 6TB (3 x 2TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: Time Machine

Did you try rebooting

Message 2 of 7
Denis1
Tutor

It's not a windows machine, but yes. I rebooted. Same error.

I looked into a private Time machine. Because of the message it shouldn't work. Well, it did work. Which means theres a bug somewhere. Someone should look into it.

Message 3 of 7
Denis1
Tutor

And this isn't a solution, it's a work around.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Denis1 wrote:

It's not a windows machine, but yes. I rebooted. Same error.

... And this isn't a solution, it's a work around.

Agreed, it would be a workaround.  I never suggested it was a windows machine - FWIW, I was meaning to ask if you'd tried rebooting the NAS.

@Denis1 wrote:

Because of the message it shouldn't work. Well, it did work. Which means theres a bug somewhere. Someone should look into it.

You could use paid support for this - that would start troubleshooting.  Or send a PM to one of the mods ( @JohnCM_S or @Marc_V ) and ask them if Netgear wants to access your system remotely and take a look.

Message 5 of 7
Denis1
Tutor

Marc I thought I sent it. Well one more try

Message 6 of 7
Denis1
Tutor

I figured something out tonight. Finally took the proper time and looked at why time machine wasn't working. This is what I found out.

1. Someone on netgear changed the shared Time Machine to local user only. Why do I know that because I was able to make the share in the past and I'm using active Directory. How do I know it only works with local users, I looked at the ? mark and it says only local users. Incredible, who asked for this? Should it be the adim who decides? Or was it alwas local and it never checked?
  2. Readynas says apple now uses SMB, no need to use AFP. One problem, it seems time machine still use AFP! I saw this on the Apple community. Very confusing if you ask me, some say it work with SMB and some say iy only works with AFP. Turned back AFP with a dedicated Time Machine share and there she is!!!

The moral of the story is upgrading MAC OS 10.6 to 10.11, don't trust what it should use. The thing that got me is Netgear changing how the shares work or again they never forced the local users only.

StephenB I was just joking about the reboot. Everyone says that because of Windows and now we all reboot everythng because of windows because it does work for windows; why not the rest.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements