× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Transfer Readynas Duo v1 disks to a new Readynas

msacks001
Aspirant

Transfer Readynas Duo v1 disks to a new Readynas

I have a Readynas Duo v1 which I think has failed.  I've tried to reset the device (pressing the reset button on the back for about 5 secs until the 2 disk lights flash and then releasing) but the front blue led just keeps pulsing.

I am therefore thinking I need to replace the device but I have data on the 2 disks (one is a mirror of the other) that I don't want to loose.  Can I buy a new device and install my disks.  Or can someone suggest how to get the data off the disks?

Btw... most of my family's computers are Macs altough one is a Windows machine.  

Many thanks

Matthew

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Transfer Readynas Duo v1 disks to a new Readynas

What status does RAIDar give you?

You can't migrate the disks to any current ReadyNAS.

But if you are using the default xraid, you should be able to extract the data off of the data disk with linux reader ( http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/ ).  You will need to connect that disk to your windows PC (a USB->SATA kit will work).  The data disk is usually disk 1 (disk 2 is usually the parity disk).

Message 2 of 10
msacks001
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB for your quick response.

RAIDar says that it can't see find any ReadyNAS although on one of my many previous reboots RAIDar did find the Duo with the IP address 192.168.168.168 (which I now know is because the Duo coudn't find a DHCP server for some reason).  At the time I tried getting to the admin page which failed of course.  At the time I didn't know how to proceed so I reset it again and have not been able to get back to that point.

Maybe I'm being impatient.  Can you advise how long I should wait after doing a reset before RAIDar should be able to see the device?

I think I'd set up my device with Raid 1 so that both discs have an identical version of the data.  Will I still be able to retrieve the data usig a Linux reader?  And do you know if I can use my Mac to read it (I have a Windows XP image on a VM if that helps) or should I really use a Windows PC?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When it came up with that I.P. you could have changed the I.P. of your PC/Mac to e.g. 192.168.168.100 and tried accessing it.

So did you use Flex-RAID RAID-1 or did you use X-RAID?

There are a variety of reasons why the system is not completing booting.

One possibility is a bad disk. If you hook your disks up to a Windows PC and run vendor tools (e.g. SeaTools if it is a SeaGate disk or WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostics if it is a WD disk).

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@msacks001 wrote:

Can you advise how long I should wait after doing a reset before RAIDar should be able to see the device?

Can you clarify exactly what you did?  A factory reset would destroy your data (and the NAS can be non responsive when it is formatting the drives).  Hopefully that is not what you did.

Message 5 of 10
msacks001
Aspirant

@StephenB I inserted a paper clip into the reset hole in the rear of the unit, presed the power button on the front and waited about 5 seconds until the 2 disk LEDs flashed, then removed the paper clip.  Btw... I have removed disk 2 before I tried the reset path as a precaution (so that I have a backup!).

Message 6 of 10
msacks001
Aspirant

@mdgm-ntgr - I think I used Flex-RAID RAID-1 although, if I'm honest, it's quite some time since I set it up and I can't be certain. I'll need to buy a SATA / USB cable to test.  I'll buy one and give it a go.

Message 7 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@msacks001 wrote:

@StephenB I inserted a paper clip into the reset hole in the rear of the unit, presed the power button on the front and waited about 5 seconds until the 2 disk LEDs flashed, then removed the paper clip.  Btw... I have removed disk 2 before I tried the reset path as a precaution (so that I have a backup!).

That would be an OS reinstall, not a reset.  That normally completes quite quickly (not much longer than the usual boot time).  Admin password is reset to "netgear1" and the IP configuration is reset to use dhcp.  Other settings should not be changed.

The two disks are now out of sync (assuming the reinstall worked).

One thing you might try is powering down the NAS, and install only disk 2.  Then see if the system powers up (don't try an OS reinstall).

Also, you could see if the blink pattern of your LEDS matches one of the patterns below.  (It might not...)

LED blink behavior for 2 disk systems is three quick blinks of all disk LEDs and the backup LED, followed by an 1s delay, followed by a number of slow blinks.  The number of slow blinks will be the error code.

Current error codes:
1 - Vendor mismatch
2 - No disks detected
3 - Bad contents on root partition of disks
4 - Flash error
5 - Unsupported RAID configuration

Message 8 of 10
msacks001
Aspirant

I'll try to test the drives once I receive the SATA to USB cable. If they are ok I think it's safe to assume the Duo has failed.

Thanks to both of you for your guidance so far!
Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Though I'll happily keep using my duo v1 until it fails, it really isn't worth heroic efforts to keep it running.  The newer arm NAS are much faster and don't have the capacity limits, and can be purchased for perhaps $120 USD.

Getting the data off the old disks might be the real priority here.

That said, you might also want to try the memory test built into the boot UI. Note there is no paper-clip reset used to run the memory test.  http://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/Duov1_NV%2Bv1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf page 15.

Unfortunately the manual gives you no indication on whether the memory test passes or fails.  However, this post does provide some info: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-DUO-Memory-Test/td-p/689854

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements