× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trouble adding 4th drive to RDN104

radxxx
Aspirant

Trouble adding 4th drive to RDN104

I have troubles adding the last drive to the array. The disk shows up in frontview but it is grey (no error messages, just that Disk Model:ST2000DL003-9VT166 has been added).
Migrating from a readynas duo. Here's what I did.

Install the 104 with 2 blank drives.
Copy data over from the Duo to the 104
Removed 2nd drive from Duo to slot 3 of the 104 (resync went fine)
Added 1st drive from Duo to slot 4 (nothing happens, drive greyed out)
Put the drive in a windows pc and removed all partitions and put it back in the 104, no difference.

Any ideas why it's not adding?

Cheers

Firmware is 6.0.5
Message 1 of 7
ihartley
Tutor

Re: Trouble adding 4th drive to RND104

I can't help, but check the firmware of the drive.

It's not related to the problem you have, but it might save you pain later. Lots of info on this forum
Message 2 of 7
radxxx
Aspirant

Re: Trouble adding 4th drive to RND104

I looked into the firmware of the drive and found that mine can't be updated. The drive is okay to use in the nas but the older types with the same model number have problems.
Solved my problem by putting the drive in my windows machine and putting a partition on it. Stuck it back in the nas and is now synchronising.
Message 3 of 7
david8704
Star

I have the exact same problem I have added 3 2TB disks and when I add the 4th, nothing happends, it recognize it but wont expand the Raid 5 configuration.
Message 4 of 7
david8704
Star

When I'm looking in the "Performance"-tab, there is a gray dot befor the name of the disk, and there are some data. One field called "Pool", the three that are in the Radi configuration has "Pool: data", the 4th disk has "Pool:unknown"
Message 5 of 7
azerva
Tutor

Hello,

I have the exact same issue with the 4th drive. Anyone any ideas? Latest firmware for ReadyNAS and the 4th drive has the same firmware as the 3rd drive I added, and that worked fine.
Message 6 of 7
steveM1
Aspirant

Hello
I had the same problem. It helps me to "clear" (delete all partition) disk under Windows. On empty disk I created a new NTFS partition, then inserted disk to RND104. It recognize it and asked me to destroy existing parition. After destroying it starts resync automatically.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements