× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Trying to Backup to a WD My Book

DEBTEB
Aspirant

Trying to Backup to a WD My Book

I'm sorry, it's been four days of looking around these forums and I'm losing the will to live.

1.I have just purchased a WD My Book to back up my ReadyNas NV+ v2. I plug in,set a backup, and error messages say that no USB device is connected.
2. I read on the forums that apparently I need to format the WD MYBOOK to EXT3 and I should do that via Frontview.
3. I am running RAIDiator for Mac I think 5.3.8

I cannot see Frontview (certainly the documentation shows screen grabs of the interface that I don't see)
I cannot find a way of formatting the USB so that the NV+ V2 can see it.
I thought it might be a Windows/Mac thing and so I have brought in my windows laptop from home and get exactly the same interface - and so still cannot format my WD MYBOOK>

On top of this I added two 2TB expansion discs (to go with the two already in there) and although it sees four discs, the memory doesn't automatically run on..and so I get error messages telling me I'm almost full.

Bit fed up to be honest. Can anyone help?
Message 1 of 12
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is on the NAS?
Message 2 of 12
DEBTEB
Aspirant

It tells me Firmware: RAIDiator 5.3.8
Message 3 of 12
DEBTEB
Aspirant

Re: Trying to Backup (or HOW DO YOU BACKUP) to a WD My Book

Hi
(I wonder if the lack of response is to do with miss-naming my problem!)

Can anyone give me a clue as to how to format the WDMYBOOK so that I can back up my 2TB of data from the NAS.

That means I can then sort out the problem that the NAS doesn't see the additional 2TB discs as expansion and so I'm getting messages that the NAS is almost full.

This is getting to crisis point here.
Thanks in advance
D
Message 4 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your NV+ v2 doesn't have the option to format disks, I think.

What model WD MyBook do you have?
Message 5 of 12
DEBTEB
Aspirant

OH, Can't format disks?

I have a MYBook 4TB USB 3.0 Hard drive with backup.
ModelWDBFJK0040HBK-UESN

is this the wrong thing? Can someone tell me what would be immediately compatible then. I really just want to plug in and for the NAS to know there was capacity to back up to it.
Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Try formatting the mybook as NTFS on the windows PC you borrowed.
Message 7 of 12
DEBTEB
Aspirant

Ok, I can do that.
Presumably it effectively wipes all the WD software that is on there and leaves me with a clean drive that the NAS then sees.
Message 8 of 12
xxjanxx
Aspirant

I have been using a 3Tb WD Mybook to backup my Duo V2.

It wasn't recognized at first by the Duo. I have then update the firmware on the mybook and switched off the sleeptimer with the supplied WD tools. After that I removed the existing volume on the WD, put it in again and formatted it as NTFS (using a Gparted live cd). After that it was recognized fine and has been working fine for some time now. Problem is that I performed these actions in 1 go without testing the results inbetween, so I don't know exactly what did the trick.
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

DEBTEB wrote:
Ok, I can do that.
Presumably it effectively wipes all the WD software that is on there and leaves me with a clean drive that the NAS then sees.
Formatting will wipe whatever software is stored on the drive. Some of these My Books are RAID arrays though, and they have there own administration (which will still be available even if you reformat). My Book is a brand, its not just one thing. That's one reason why people want to know the model number.
Message 10 of 12
DEBTEB
Aspirant

Thanks Jan, Thanks Stephen.
Reformatting looks to be somewhat scary to a relative technophobe. I will endeavour to try because my NAS is not behaving as it should but I daren't do anything until all the data is backed up properly.
Message 11 of 12
StephenB
Guru

You can always connect the my book to your mac and drag/drop the files. I know there are some copy tools for the mac which will also verify (similar to teracopy on windows).
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements