× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Tutorial to install CrashPlan (updated August 2016)

jplee3
Apprentice

CP is great but for my purposes I really just need the NAS backed up. I back everything up to my NAS as a centralized location at home, and from there I just want the NAS alone backed up. 

Amazon Cloud Drive is currently available as of 6.6.0 at least. Not sure when it was introduced but it is fairly new. 

Message 26 of 39
oshae
Tutor

Ah yes I see that now. I tried running OS6 on my Pro 6 and didn't care for it. It ramped the fans up much higher than the old OS so was quite noisy. There was something other drawback that made me switch back as well but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Are you running OS6 on an older platform? Feedback given its current state?

Message 27 of 39
jplee3
Apprentice

This is on an RN204 so relatively new but still ARM. 

Message 28 of 39
jclaracq
Star

I have an old Ultra 2 . It works like a charm with OS6 . I will never go back to OS4!

Message 29 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@jplee3 wrote:

Amazon Cloud Drive is currently available as of 6.6.0 at least. Not sure when it was introduced but it is fairly new. 

It's not a backup, since it is a 2-way sync.  There are ideas in the exchange on setting it to 1-way for backup, and also to encrypt the files on the drive for added security.

So I'm not sure this is ready quite yet (and it wouldn't have the versioning or deduplication that crashplan has).

I'm thinking I'll keep CrashPlan, but at some point will host it on a PC and map the NAS data volume to a drive letter.

Message 30 of 39
jplee3
Apprentice

@StephenB wrote:

@jplee3 wrote:

It's not a backup, since it is a 2-way sync.  There are ideas in the exchange on setting it to 1-way for backup, and also to encrypt the files on the drive for added security.

So I'm not sure this is ready quite yet (and it wouldn't have the versioning or deduplication that crashplan has).

I'm thinking I'll keep CrashPlan, but at some point will host it on a PC and map the NAS data volume to a drive letter.

Yea, that makese sense... it's definitely taking a while to sync things up. I think I may have disabled dedupe anyway while running CP on the RN204 (when it was working) - this may have been to increase performance... but I can't recall exactly. Actually, it wouldn't make sense for it to be disabled for performance increase - maybe I'm thinking of encryption or something else.

Yea, seems the other 'viable' method is to run CP on Windows and map the NAS on a drive... although, I think that method is technically unsupported as well according to CP haha (wouldn't be surprised if they figure out a way to break that too!)

Message 31 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@jplee3 wrote:

Yea, seems the other 'viable' method is to run CP on Windows and map the NAS on a drive... although, I think that method is technically unsupported as well according to CP 

That's true, They do support it on OSX though.  I do get why the original Windows procedure was unsupported, but the current method is pretty straightforward.

So far I have gotten help from CrashPlan support anyway, though they won't help with the headless install itself.

There's an earlier post saying that CP will drop headless altogether in the future.

Message 32 of 39
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hello,

Did anyone find a solution to move the Crashplan's log file ?

It's not possible anymore to set a new location for the service log in the "my.service.xml" file.

Cache files setup is still good...

Thanks!

Message 33 of 39
StephenB
Guru

You could try to create a soft link.

Message 34 of 39
jplee3
Apprentice

Posted this here - http://blog.andrewkoebbe.com/blog/2014/06/installing-crashplan-headless-on-a-readynas-102:

I ended up scrapping 4.8 and reinstalled 4.7. Also tried the recommendation here:https://pcloadletter.co.uk/201...

"I downgraded my DS715 (non-Intel CPU) to 4.7.0 and made the /var/packages/CrashPlan/target/upgrade directory to a single read-only file. This looks to prevent the auto-update from happening.

Cookbook for the directory:
cd /var/packages/CrashPlan/target
mv upgrade upgrade.tmp
touch upgrade
chmod 444 upgrade

This at least is a stop gap measure until Crashplan disconnects you if you’re not on 4.8…"

Message 35 of 39
jclaracq
Star

Hi everyone,

Just a short update to say that I managed to connect to the server under MacOS X following the Crashplan method with SSH tunneling. Under Windows I failed miserably with both methods. Thus there is maybe a problem with my Windows 10 Anniversary.

Message 36 of 39
StephenB
Guru

@jclaracq wrote:

Under Windows I failed miserably with both methods. Thus there is maybe a problem with my Windows 10 Anniversary.

What exactly did you do?

Message 37 of 39
weinelm
Tutor

I guess no one has 4.8 running yet?

It's a shame, Crashplan ran for 4 years unattended on my Ultra 2, before things started breaking around 18mths ago - now it just needs constant attention. With that and Plex no longer supported on my Ultra 2, I think I'm going with StephenB's idea and move my apps to another computer. I'd looked at other NAS brands, but while they might have easier installation they seem to have the same problems with Crashplan.

I think I'm going to set up an Intel NUC on my network for Crashplan and Plex, and map my NAS to it.

Message 38 of 39
mctubster
Tutor

I have 4.8 running, and it would have updated itself successfully from 4.7 if the right version of CPIO was installed (removed again by updating from 6.5 to 6.5.1) but looks like Netgear may fix this

What problem are you having?

Message 39 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements