× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Two disk fail after trying to replacing one disk

JS78
Aspirant

Two disk fail after trying to replacing one disk

Hi I have a x-raid 5 setup and wanted to upgrade my last 2 2TB WD disks for 8 TB WD disks. I've done this a few times for before to gradually increase my disk space and to renew the drives. I was ready to start replacing the final two disks today. I powered down the system and pulled the drive from bay three, replaced the drive and rebooted. I found that all of a sudden that also disk 1 could no longer be found. I tried to check both the old disk 1 + 3 but I cannot get them to run  at all.

What is the best course of action to recuperate the data that is still stitting on my remaining drives.

thanks for your urgent response and help

Model: ReadyNAS-OS6|,RNDP600E |ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 9
JS78
Aspirant

Re: Two disk fail after trying to replacing one disk

Any way to get the four disks of the array to mount and see what I still can recover?

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

One option is to test disk 1 in a Windows PC (with vendor tools: lifeguard for western digital, seatools for seagate).

If the disk can be accessed at all by the vendor tools, it might be possible to clone it.

Also, try inserting the original disk 3, and booting up (without disk 1).  I suggest disconnecting power for a few minutes before doing the boot.

Message 3 of 9
JS78
Aspirant

Both disk 1 + 3 make a humming sound when the try to start up. The sound repeats for a few times and than stops. None of them are found in windows. Also Lifeguard does not spot the drives. Tested both via a USB dongle as well as direct on the SATA port of my PC. No luck with both of them.

Message 4 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Ouch.  I think you've lost the data.  You can try something like ReclaiMe - it will show you what it can recover before you pay for it.

Message 5 of 9
JS78
Aspirant

Will reclaiMe be able to recover beyond a one drive raid 5 fail or are you suggesting to look at each disk individually?

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

I'd try it with both working disks (together) first.  I have no idea if it will be able to recover anything useful - no matter what you do it's a long shot.

Message 7 of 9
JS78
Aspirant

Ok that will be a challenge as I have 4 working disks and 2 failed ones. Need to find a system to which I can mount four drives next to the OS drive and the spares to do the recovery

Message 8 of 9
JS78
Aspirant

too bad ReclaiMe Raid recovery does not seem to recogize the remaining disks and cannot recover. I have now started the normal ReclaiMe procedure to see what I can salvage

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements