× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Typical temperatures for NAS Pro6?

sstillwell
Tutor

Typical temperatures for NAS Pro6?

I've recently stood up a RNDP6610 that I acquired diskless - I populated it so far with 4 x 8TB Seagate Red NAS drives and have been generally happy with it and its performance.  It's mostly being used to provide NFS storage to my VMware ESXi home lab.

Question is, what's the normal temperature for these devices?  I've got latest ReadyNAS OS 6 on there (6.9.3), and the temperatures are hovering around 45 C for the CPU, 40 C for the drives (38, 40, 39, 36), but 69 C for the System...everything else seems okay-ish, but that seems awfully high for a chassis or motherboard temperature.  Ambient temperature here in the office is about 74 F (23 C).  Fan speeds are reported at 1622 RPM for CPU, 992 for System fans.

When I first got it, CPU temps were up in the 80s - I opened it up and found two of the CPU heatsink screws had nearly backed completely out.  Once I tightened it back down it dropped to the temperature I see now.  I could probably improve that by removing and cleaning it and reapplying Arctic Silver or something properly, but if I'm going to open it back up I'd prefer to have a plan to make any and all needed changes in one go.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6610|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Since this is used, you might double-check that the fans are in the normal configuration.  The CPU fan normally pulls air into the chassis; the PSU and chassis fans normally exhaust air out of the chassis.  The stock chassis fan is manufactured by Crown - if the fan was replaced, it's possible that the previous owner used a low-noise adapter, which would of course keep the speed down.

OS 4.2 indicates the normal temp range for system temp as [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F], so 69 is high.  My system fan speed is similar to yours, and I am currently seeing a system temp of 58C. This is with OS 4.2 (not OS 6), and my disk configuration is 6x3TB WD30EFRX.    Another caveat - spindown is enabled, and the disks spun up when I accessed the NAS.

With OS-6 you can choose a fan profile from performance page in the web ui.  I suggest setting that to "cool", and see what happens to the system temp.

Message 2 of 7
sstillwell
Tutor

When set to "Cool", the System fan speed goes up to ~1800-1875 RPM, and obviously the noise goes up along with it.  CPU fan speed doesn't change at all.  All temperatures drop as expected in Cool mode...current temps are:

CPU 38 C

System 54 C

Drives 34, 36, 36, 33 C

When it has reached those temperatures, fan speeds slow down - CPU remains the same, but System speed drops to 1318 RPM.  Temps then begin climbing from their low spot.  We'll have to see where they stabilize, but right now at:

CPU 39 C

System 61 C

Drives 33, 36, 35, 32 C

Message 3 of 7
sstillwell
Tutor

After sufficient time to settle in, it's averaging:

CPU 42.2 C

System 60.2 C

Disks 34 / 36 / 36 / 33 C

Considerably better temperatures than when we started, but System is still high in my (not necessarily useful) opinion, and of course it's a good bit noisier than on Balanced settings.  Also, given current settings, the fan speed ramps up periodically up to around 1500 RPM and then the noise is quite noticable.

The fans are oriented the correct direction - I know where that unit has been since it was purchased, and the previous owners just plain didn't ever open it up to change things.  I guess I might go ahead and try cleaning and re-seating the CPU heatsink and fan when I get a downtime window - I've got nothing better to go on with for now, unless it's to replace the fans with higher airflow / lower noise units...and those might not be so easy to find.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6610|ReadyNAS Pro 6
Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There could be a build up of dust. Have you checked for that?
Message 5 of 7
sstillwell
Tutor

When I opened it up to re-seat the CPU fan, I blew everything out - there was some minor dust buildup, but nothing horrible.  At any rate it's clean now, or at least it was a week or two ago. 🙂

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@sstillwell wrote:

I've got nothing better to go on with for now, unless it's to replace the fans with higher airflow / lower noise units...and those might not be so easy to find.

I don't recall the chassis fan specs, but I recently replaced mine with a Noctura NF-S12A FLX, which is working well, and is a lot quieter than the stock fan.

The PSU fan is an ADDA AD0812HS - you can still find them (Amazon carries them); though getting the PSU out of the chassis and replacing that fan isn't that easy.  So I suggest leaving it alone unless you have some evidence it is failing.

Though your CPU temps look fine, I do have some info there as I recently tracked down the specs on the stock CPU fan.  Its 80x80x15 mm (and the narrow depth makes it hard to find a suitable replacement). It's airflow was 48.70 and static pressure was 5.35.

The Dynatron DF128015BU is the best match I found to the original (48.6 CFM and 5.9 static pressure). You can get it from Coolerguys. Coolerguys also has a Delta EFC0812DB which some folks here have used (48.8 CFM, but static pressure is only 4.3).  I didn't find anything that came close to these specs with significantly lower noise.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements