× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: UPS and Power Chute and SNMP?

davidr1
Luminary

UPS and Power Chute and SNMP?

For tax reasons I need to purchase a UPS imminently - apart from the fact it is a very good idea to have one!

I use Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), Pro2, Ultra2 (both OS6) and 31400 NAS

I know nothing about SNMP and Power Chute. (I thought all UPS were SNMP?)

I can handle the pc end of things but need to know:

1. Can I 'just' connect one NAS to the UPS usb port and rely on the othe NAS machines getting the status from the router connection?
2. Is configuration required for permitted devices to connect to the first NAS so others can get the status they require?

3. Are all SOHO UPS' 'SNMP'?

4. Is Power Chute different from just a USB connection? I googled this - there ia lottle of technical info but not much that made sense to me re my questions.

5. Will the NAS only power down only when batteries are low or can I adjust how soon after a power failure to shut down the NAS? I see no point in keeping them going if the computers are off. I want to maximise the time the modem and router can stay on.

6.  What happens if the NAS is doing something that takes a long time (like scrubbing or resyncing the array) and it is told to shut down?

7. Will the NAS stay off until manually started (desirable)?

A lot of questions I know but I have put off getting a UPS for too long. The more I read the more I get confused.

So thanks very much to anybody who can answer these question. Or tell me something that I have not asked but need to know. Once it was all so simple but things have changed ... 🙂

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP2110|ReadyNAS Pro 2,ReadyNAS RNDU2110|ReadyNAS Ultra 2,RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
TeknoJnky
Hero

sounds like your UPS might have gotten fried.

Since you have 2 UPS, you could swap them and see if the other nas will recognize it.

If they both work on different nas, then perhaps something wonky with the config, but if the bad one still doesn't work, then I guess you need to replace it.

View solution in original post

Message 21 of 23

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Most Home/SoHo UPS are monitored with USB - so you'd directly connect the USB cable to one of the NAS ports.

This monitoring uses a package called NUT (Network UPS Tools) - it isn't using SNMP.  The NAS has NUT built in.

There's a list of UPS models that support NUT here: http://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

APC models are popular.  I use CyperPower myself.  I've also seen some posters who use Eaton.

Message 2 of 23
hmuessig
Luminary

So what happens if you have two units (314 and 716x in my case) with only one (the 716x) connected via USB to a UPS? 

Is there any way a second unit (the 314) can "know" when the UPS switched on? Network monitoring of the UPS is checked on the 716x . . .

Message 3 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@hmuessig wrote:

So what happens if you have two units (314 and 716x in my case) with only one (the 716x) connected via USB to a UPS? 

The RN314 can monitor the UPS using the 716x as a proxy.  On the RN314 you specify "remote UPS".

This uses the network connection, so you need to make sure the network path is also protected (ideally by the same UPS).

I'm not sure what you mean by knowing when the UPS is switched on.  The NAS knows that the UPS is functioning, whether it is using battery power or not, and the estimated run time.  And it will execute a clean shutdown when the battery drain threshold is reached.

Message 4 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks StephenB,

@StephenB wrote:

And it will execute a clean shutdown when the battery drain threshold is reached.

Is this always on low battery? I need just a graceful shutdown after a few minutes as the computers will be off. I have read that others want the same but not seen an answer. (5)

What happens if the NAS is doing something that takes a long time (like scrubbing or resyncing the array) and it is told to shut down? (6)

Will the NAS stay off until manually started (desirable)? (7)

Message 5 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

Is this always on low battery?

You can set a threshold, or just use auto.

@davidr1 wrote:

Will the NAS stay off until manually started (desirable)? (7)

My recollection is yes (generally I don't exhaust the battery before power returns).  Though users here are divided on whether that's a good thing or not.

@davidr1 wrote:

What happens if the NAS is doing something that takes a long time (like scrubbing or resyncing the array) and it is told to shut down? (6)

It should shut down anyway (and in the case of resync, that should resume when the NAS is powered up).

Note you can test some of these scenarios safely by connecting the USB to the NAS, but leaving the NAS on it's own power.  Connect an alternative load to the NAS, then you can disconnect power and see what happens.  Since power is never cut to the NAS, there's no chance of an unclean shutdown.

Message 6 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Many thanks StephenB.

I realised last night I probably need two UPSs as two NAS worki during the day and another at night - and there is only one usb port on the units I've seen. Oh well.

"My recollection is yes (generally I don't exhaust the battery before power returns).  Though users here are divided on whether that's a good thing or not."

A user setting (on the NAS or in NUT would be nice ... keep everybody happy 🙂

Now ... to find one of those compatible APC units here Downunder.

Thanks for your tireless help / advice.

Message 7 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@davidr1 wrote:

A user setting (on the NAS or in NUT would be nice ... keep everybody happy 🙂

I think it's a bios setting in the NAS that you'd need to change.  

@davidr1 wrote:

I realised last night I probably need two UPSs as two NAS worki during the day and another at night - and there is only one usb port on the units I've seen.

Yes - either you need two UPS or you need to leave on NAS powered 24x7 (perhaps with disks shutdown

Message 8 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks StephenB,

I'm having difficulty in retailers confirming NUT compatibility.

The HWCL for UPS does not show low end (as in just need to shut the NAS down on power fail) models I can find here.

Retailers and documentation doesn't say 'NUT compatible'.

I'm looking at this for two NAS units to just shut down:

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/apc-700va230v-line-interactive-sinewave-avr-backups-ab82838?gclid=C...

How safe is it to assume it will work OK?

Message 9 of 23
StephenB
Guru

NUT's list is here: http://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

Though the BX700U isn't listed.  There is one post here where a user had trouble getting it recognized: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Einsatz-von-ReadyNAS/RN202-mit-APC-BX700U-GR/td-p/1296822  I don't see any other posts on that model.

The ES-700 was reported as working here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Hardware-Compatibility/APC-Back-UPS-ES-700-works-with-Read...  Though it appears to be more expensive.

Message 10 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

I can confirm the APC 700VA/230V BX700U-AZ works with NAS.

Identified by the local and the remote connected OK - the remote would only accept the name UPS though (of many names I tried). But that's not significant.

Powered down safely on power loss and stayed off on power restore.

Tip: may seem obvious to some but not to me:

On turning the NAS' back on, turn the one connected to the UPS first.

Message 11 of 23
hmuessig
Luminary

For what it is worth here is how I have my two RNs (716x/EDA500 annd 314) set up so that both get notice from the UPS (an APC RS-1500G) in the event of a power failure and will both shut down gracefully.

My 716x and EDA500 power cords are connected directly to the APC UPS. This is my primary NAS.

My 716x is connected via the special USB cable to the APC UPS so that the 716x will receive notices from the UPS. In the UPS settings on the 716x I've enabled "network monitoring of the attached UPS."

My 314 power cord is also connected to the APC UPS. To enable the 314 to also receive notices from the UPS do the following:

(See page 195 of the April 2017 edition of the OS 6.7 manual).

On System>Power "add" a UPS and use the following settings:

Name: Whatever

Description: your choice

Type: Remote UPS < meaning that the UPS to be monitored is connected someplace else than directly to this NAS.

Address: xxx.xxx.xx.xx < this is the local IP address of the NAS (my 716x or primary NAS) to which the UPS is physically connected via the USB monitoring cable. (The manual incorrectly (at least in cases where the UPS is connected to the NAS via a USB cable) suggests that this is the IP address of the "remote UPS." )

User: monuser

Password:pass

Two important things to note:

For this remote monitoring to work your network (Switches and routers) must also be on the UPS! Otherwise when the power dies the second NAS will loose its network connection to the main NAS and never receive notice to shut down.

Second: Remember that if you reboot either NAS or your whole network it is likely that the IP address of the NAS directly attached to the UPS -- the primary NAS -- might change. Just check the IP address of the primary NAS and make sure that your other NAS' UPS settings have the correct address.

Works!

Message 12 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Oops - problems.

Had a power failure last night. Units (NASPro [direct usb] and NASUltra [remote] were already off but were communicating OK before they did a scheduled shutdown.

The power failure was so long the UPS turned off (batteries low).

• When power was restored the NASPro can not see a UPS. I have shutdown and restarted but no luck.
  • This UPS was changed days ago and was no longer 'UPS' but UPS(1). I have looked in all the config files under /etc/nut and /etc/default/config/etc/nut but cannot find a config file that lists the units and the 'names' such as UPS, UPS(1). Where is this file so I can delete UPS(1) and restart with UPS, please?

My NAS31400 has its own UPS (identical model) and it has no problems after the power failure.

Help, please?

Message 13 of 23
Sandshark
Sensei

@davidr1 wrote:

• When power was restored the NASPro can not see a UPS. I have shutdown and restarted but no luck.
  • This UPS was changed days ago and was no longer 'UPS' but UPS(1). I have looked in all the config files under /etc/nut and /etc/default/config/etc/nut but cannot find a config file that lists the units and the 'names' such as UPS, UPS(1). Where is this file so I can delete UPS(1) and restart with UPS, please?

My ups.conf looks like this:

• [UPS]
      driver = usbhid-ups
      port = auto
    #dashboard:  ups_model = CP 1500C
    #dashboard:  ups_mfr = CPS
    #dashboard:  ups_mfr_date =
      serial =
      vendorid = 0764
      productid = 0501

I have always assumed that the [UPS} entry is the name.  Does your ups.conf have two entries (maybe both named [UPS])?

Message 14 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Thanks for your reply Sandshark.

My ups.conf are both empty in:

/etc/nut/ups.conf

/etc/default/config/etc/nut/ups.conf

Where is your file located?

Message 15 of 23
StephenB
Guru

On mine /etc/default/config/etc/nut/ups.conf is empty. /etc/nut/ups.conf is not.

Message 16 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Hi StephenB,

Yep, /etc/nut/ups.conf is definitely empty. Is it created when a NAS is recognised?

This all happened after the ups switched off due to low battery.

The NASPro was off by scheduled timer at the time of the blackout so it did not suffer a hard power off.

When power was restored the UPS had a few clicks and the NAS units came on the same time as power was restored to the NAS (I would prefer them to stay off).

Presumably when power was restored the NAS units had full power available (makes a farce of it if a UPS can not supply full power to connected devices when power is restored).

So - am I left to reinstall OS 6.7.5  or can some guru look under my head and check everything is OK?

Sorta lost on this one.

Message 17 of 23
Sandshark
Sensei

That's the right place, and it is created when an UPS is recognized and deleted when it's not (unless it's still set up as shared, I found out).  When you say it's "empty", I assume you mean a zero length file.  The one in /etc/config/default/nut should be a zero length file.  Do any of the other files in /etc/nut look different than the default ones in the other folder?  Maybe something didn't get deleted correctly so it can't re-install the UPS properly.  You could try removing the UPS USB connection, copying the defaults to /etc/nut, and then re-connecting.

Message 18 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Hi Sandshark,

Empty as in zero length, no text when opened with vi.

I never deleted the UPS - it just was not recognised after the power failure.

In Frontview there is now no UPS to delete.

I have tried a different USB cable with no luck.

I don't know what the default files are or should look like - any ideas?

Thanks.

Message 19 of 23
Sandshark
Sensei

The defaults are the ones in /etc/default/config/etc/nut/.

Message 20 of 23
TeknoJnky
Hero

sounds like your UPS might have gotten fried.

Since you have 2 UPS, you could swap them and see if the other nas will recognize it.

If they both work on different nas, then perhaps something wonky with the config, but if the bad one still doesn't work, then I guess you need to replace it.

Message 21 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

Hi TeknoJnky

I had already tried that as step one but decided to try it again.

It worked.

Can not explain why.

Both units were only bought 30 Jun - not good one fried after a power failure.

Many thanks SandShark for telling me where the default files are.

Many thanks to all ... it is very much appreciated.

Message 22 of 23
davidr1
Luminary

UPDATE:

Fried UPS returned and replaced ....

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation