× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

gyves1
Luminary

UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Hi,

I have an issue with my UPS.

My readyNAS shows me a warning about the UPS but it's not clear for me, the info is weak.

An another strange thing the ups error event is not recorded in my log 😕

How can I catch the error?

Thanks

Capture d'écran 2016-06-02 17.50.39.png

Capture d'écran 2016-06-02 17.52.52.png

Capture d'écran 2016-06-02 18.07.45.png

Capture d'écran 2016-06-02 18.07.58.png

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 27
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Hi gyves,

 

Does the UPS still work despite having this unknown errors in the admin page? Which Firmware was used by the system prior the upgrade?

 

 

Kind regards,

 

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Hi @BrianL2,

 

Yes, my UPs works fine, (green led) and all devices are under power.

Before the offcial FW 6.5, the system was under 6.5 RC3,  6.5 RC2, and 6.4.2

Regards,

Yves

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 3 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@gyves1 wrote:

 

Yes, my UPs works fine, (green led) and all devices are under power.

 


It might be good to check that the NAS is gracefully shutting down when the UPS battery drains.

Message 4 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

I can test the UPS by unplugging the main power and see if the NAS detects the battery mode from UPS.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 5 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@gyves1 wrote:

I can test the UPS by unplugging the main power and see if the NAS detects the battery mode from UPS.


After the main power cut, ...the UPS has now a good status on ReadyNAS, but no trace of the power shutdown event in the ReadyNAS log 😞

 

Capture d'écran 2016-06-03 13.28.41.png

Capture d'écran 2016-06-03 13.31.22.png

Message 6 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Interesting.

 

If you cut it again do you see a UPS alert?  Perhaps the first alert message somehow resolved the problem (but wasn't properly handled).

Message 7 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@StephenB wrote:

Interesting.

 

If you cut it again do you see a UPS alert?  Perhaps the first alert message somehow resolved the problem (but wasn't properly handled).


Yes, I have received a notification, immediatly after the powercut during the second trial.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Y**** G****** [mailto:*****@********.**]
Envoyé : vendredi 3 juin 2016 13:55
À : *********@******.***
Objet : ReadyNAS Alert Message (homedisk System: Warning)

 

UPS UPS () is on battery power.

 

And an another notification when the power was back.

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Y**** G***** [mailto:****@****.**]
Envoyé : vendredi 3 juin 2016 13:55
À : ****@****.***
Objet : ReadyNAS Alert Message (homedisk System: Notice)

 

UPS UPS () is on line power.

 

And the event is recorded now in the ReadyNAS logs.

Capture d'écran 2016-06-03 14.01.34.png

 

Message 8 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Then you "fixed" it - at least for now.

Message 9 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Yes, but the root cause is unknown Smiley Frustrated

A bug? How can I be sure ?

Maybe there is an another log file on ReadyNas with more deep infos ?

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 10 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@gyves1 wrote:

Yes, but the root cause is unknown Smiley Frustrated

 

Agreed (that is why I put quotes around "fixed").  There always seems to be some mystery with computer tech. 

 

Netgear has the logs, correct?  Maybe they can figure out what triggered it.

Message 11 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

No, if I remember well, I don't have sent the log to Netgear for this issue.

Message 12 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

An another strange events:

When the power was back (after power cut), the UPS was removed then detected...why?

 

Tue Jun 7 2016 10:49:17 System: New UPS on PortUSB detected. Manufacturer: EATON, Model: Ellipse ECO 1600, Serial: 000000000.
Tue Jun 7 2016 10:49:15 System: UPS on PortUSB removed. Manufacturer: EATON, Model: Ellipse ECO 1600, Serial: 000000000.
Tue Jun 7 2016 10:06:55 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 201606070638.
Tue Jun 7 2016 10:02:38 System: UPS UPS () is on line power.
Tue Jun 7 2016 9:20:55 System: UPS UPS () is on battery power.
Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 13 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Perhaps get another log before the info rotates out.

Message 14 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@gyves1 wrote:

An another strange events:

When the power was back (after power cut), the UPS was removed then detected...why?

 

Tue Jun 7 2016 10:49:17   System: New UPS on PortUSB detected. Manufacturer: EATON, Model: Ellipse ECO 1600, Serial: 000000000.
Tue Jun 7 2016 10:49:15   System: UPS on PortUSB removed. Manufacturer: EATON, Model: Ellipse ECO 1600, Serial: 000000000.
Tue Jun 7 2016 10:06:55   System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 201606070638.
Tue Jun 7 2016 10:02:38   System: UPS UPS () is on line power.
Tue Jun 7 2016 9:20:55   System: UPS UPS () is on battery power.

The log info is below:

Jun 07 10:49:08 homedisk kernel: [608306.710990] usb 4-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt 161 rq 1 len 5 ret -75
Jun 07 10:49:08 homedisk kernel: [608306.711180] usb usb4-port2: disabled by hub (EMI?), re-enabling...
Jun 07 10:49:08 homedisk kernel: [608306.711187] usb 4-2: USB disconnect, device number 6
 
After the port was re-enabled, the UPS is detected and added again.  There is only one of these in the log file.  This could be the UPS simply not responding for some reason.
 
BTW, I am also seeing a lot of errors like this one:
Jun 05 04:27:01 homedisk cron[2170]: (*system*php5) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/php5)
 
Any thoughts on why these might be happening (some app you might have installled or some ssh work you did).?
Message 15 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@StephenB wrote:
BTW, I am also seeing a lot of errors like this one:
Jun 05 04:27:01 homedisk cron[2170]: (*system*php5) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/php5)
 
Any thoughts on why these might be happening (some app you might have installled or some ssh work you did).?

 

Only these app are installed: AV+, SMB+, Transmission, iDrive.

Last week, an iDrive helpdesk specialist has taken the ReadyNas in SSH with Putty tthrough a remote control to check an update installation issue.

How we can to verify the root cause or the trigger of this error event?

Message 16 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@gyves1 wrote:

How we can to verify the root cause or the trigger of this error event?


Via support?  Though perhaps if others here are seeing this last error with transmission, that would be a clue.

Message 17 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

In conclusion, this issue still unknown correct?

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 18 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@gyves1 wrote:

In conclusion, this issue still unknown correct?


Certainly its new to me, and I am not seeing it on my OS 6 systems.  Perhaps PM @Skywalker and/or @kohdee with a link to the thread.  Since it might be idrive, you could also ask whoever you are using for that.

 

Where did you get transmission from?

Message 19 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

 

 

 

I have got the Transmission app from built-in Readynas marketplace, why?

iDrive doesn't use the UPS, it's just a cloud backup.

 

 Do you think there is third party bug with impact on OS ?

 


@StephenB wrote:

@gyves1 wrote:

In conclusion, this issue still unknown correct?


Certainly its new to me, and I am not seeing it on my OS 6 systems.  Perhaps PM @Skywalker and/or @kohdee with a link to the thread.  Since it might be idrive, you could also ask whoever you are using for that.

 

Where did you get transmission from?


 

Message 20 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5


@gyves1 wrote:

 

 

 

I have got the Transmission app from built-in Readynas marketplace, why?

iDrive doesn't use the UPS, it's just a cloud backup.

 

 Do you think there is third party bug with impact on OS ?

  


There are two issues, and probably not related.  The first is the original UPS issue, with an unknown root cause.  The second is the flood of homedisk cron[2170]: (*system*php5) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/php5) errors in your logs.

 

The UPS problem (for better or worse) is not happening at the moment.  I am more concerned about the log flood, since we have no idea what implications that error might have.  That is quite likely to be a third-party problem.

Message 21 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Do you know when this "cron[2170]: (*system*php5) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/php5)" issue has started? Where can I find this information in the log?

My goal is to match the starting date of this issue with the Transmission or iDrive.

Thanks

 


@StephenB wrote:

@gyves1 wrote:

 

 

 

I have got the Transmission app from built-in Readynas marketplace, why?

iDrive doesn't use the UPS, it's just a cloud backup.

 

 Do you think there is third party bug with impact on OS ?

  


There are two issues, and probably not related.  The first is the original UPS issue, with an unknown root cause.  The second is the flood of homedisk cron[2170]: (*system*php5) WRONG FILE OWNER (/etc/cron.d/php5) errors in your logs.

 

The UPS problem (for better or worse) is not happening at the moment.  I am more concerned about the log flood, since we have no idea what implications that error might have.  That is quite likely to be a third-party problem.


 

Message 22 of 27
StephenB
Guru

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Look in system.log in the zip you submitted.

 

The first entry there is 04 June, but it clearly started before then.

Message 23 of 27
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Our UPS implementation uses NUT, and anything you see re: UPS is what we are being told by the UPS. 

Can you confirm if your UPS is compatible with NUT? 

http://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

Message 24 of 27
gyves1
Luminary

Re: UPS issue on RN312 under OS6.5

Hi Kohdee,

 

Yes, I can confirm my model is in the list: Eaton Ellipse ECO 650/800/1200/1600 VA USB

see the link http://networkupstools.org/ddl/Eaton/Ellipse_ECO_1600.html

Thanks,

Yves


@kohdee wrote:

Our UPS implementation uses NUT, and anything you see re: UPS is what we are being told by the UPS. 

Can you confirm if your UPS is compatible with NUT? 

http://networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html


 

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 6038 views
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements