× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Drives not showinf in Frontview

H-I-B-T-E-K
Aspirant

USB Drives not showinf in Frontview

I have a 516 with 4 Internal drives, we plug 5 or 6 USB drives in to it, on the same port, one a day to run backups to the USB drives, we think that the drives have been unplugged while the backup has been running, or the Job was not set to Auto Eject after completion which is more likley

The problem now is that the USB drives no longer show up in Frontview, we can see them and mount them in SSH, so I know the drives are there.

We have rebooted the unit several times, and it has sometimes brough the disks back, but no its not working as it did.

The unit is out of warranty and we of course have SSH access to it

Is there anything I can "clean" or check as to why its not showing in Frontview?

We have tested the drives in Windows and the drive detects, they are formatted to EXT3 so dont show in windows, but the drive is detected.

Does the ReadyNAS cache or remember drives that have ben conencted before?

THanks for any help

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 6
H-I-B-T-E-K
Aspirant

Re: USB Drives not showinf in Frontview

In the DMESG we have these messages when the drives are plugged in.

[71822.983906] JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sde1, blocknr = 0). There's a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
[71823.082434] JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sde1, blocknr = 0). There's a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
[71864.949363] EXT4-fs error: 5 callbacks suppressed
[71864.949366] EXT4-fs error (device sde1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:758: group 5473, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 0 vs 32768 free clusters
[71864.949556] EXT4-fs error (device sde1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:758: group 5474, block bitmap and bg descriptor inconsistent: 0 vs 32768 free clusters

is there anyway to clear them and use the drives again?

Thanks

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The NAS does keep a record of usb disks that have been connected though e.g. if you format them they would be mounted with a different drive letter.

Sounds like a filesystem issue. Have you tried running a read-only filesystem check?

If the data on the USB disks is also stored in another location perhaps you could try formatting the USB disks?

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 6
H-I-B-T-E-K
Aspirant

Hi, 

Logs sent, and yes the USB drives can be cleared, is it possible to do it on the NAS or is it easier just to plug it in to windows?

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In e.g. kernel.log and systemd-journal.log one can see e.g.

Aug 01 09:27:31 ReadyNAS-516 kernel: EXT4-fs (sde1): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended

Also I can see at least one of your USB disks is a ST2000DM001 disk. That disk model is know to have very high failure rates.

It would be worth checking the health of your USB disks e.g. SMART stats and testing using disk manufacturer's tool.

Message 5 of 6
H-I-B-T-E-K
Aspirant

I have already replied to this once, but its not showing the reply.

Shorter version now.

Drives tested, 1 found bad, four drives formatted in windows and it seems to be the USB port at the back of the NAS, changed the cables and PSU, no differnce, one drive out of four detected.

Changed ports at the back of the NAS, all four drives seem to deted much better. so we are going to leave it until next week when we are going to get four non Seagate drives

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements