× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Formatting Capacity Limit

JohnnyR2D2
Guide

USB Formatting Capacity Limit

Hello guys,

Quick help pls?

Running OS 6.1.1

1 - I have a USB 3.0 to SATA Dual-Bay USB 3.0 Hard Drive Docking Station attached to my NAS which was previously with two 3TB disks and now that I remove one of the 4TB from the NAS and replace it by an 8TB I want to "upgrade" the docking and replace one of the 3TB by the 4TB disk I have removed from the NAS. I did that already and after formatted using the Frontview NFTS option, it only shows 2TB as a maximum capacity. It only shows the full capacity (3.6TB) If I chose to format it on my PC before and then plug it in the docking station.

2 - Tried Ext3 and Ext4 and even less capacity is showing (512 MB)

3 - Based on the above should I then format it in Windows before plug it or is there anything I'm missing?

4 - Last but not least does anyone knows if Netgear is planning to allows us to change the USB drives names?Right now is always USB_HDD_2, USB_HDD_3 and so on.

Thanks,

Joao

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 9
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: USB Formatting Capacity Limit

Hi JohnnyR2D2,

So just to confirm, the 4TB drive is only showing 2TB?

Please try formatting it on a Windows PC as well.

As for the USB naming, I think it is still being checked if it can be added as a feature.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-storage/status-k...

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
JohnnyR2D2
Guide

So just to confirm, the 4TB drive is only showing 2TB?

That is correct. If I format the disk using Frontview and chose NFTS it will show only 2TB. If I format and chose Ext4 or Ext3 things get even worse and it shows only 512KB or MB (can't remember really)

That's what I did and when I do that it works perfectlly and shows the full capacity 3.64TB

Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JohnnyR2D2 wrote:

That's what I did and when I do that it works perfectlly and shows the full capacity 3.64TB

That suggests there's a bug in the NAS formatting.

Message 4 of 9
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

It works fine here on both 4TB and 6TB drives.  That suggests a problem with the partition table on the drive.

Message 5 of 9
JohnnyR2D2
Guide

What do you mean by partition table problem? This disk is brand new and was one of the disks installed in the NAS. I replace it by an 8TB disk and decided to use it in the USB dock station for backup purposes. As I said, when I plug it into Windows it formats very well and shows the full capacity. The only thing I can't remember right now is if I converted the disk into GPT on Windows. You think that could be the problem?  I can be wrong but to have a single volume in a 4TB drive I need to use GPT right? or should I use Dynamic?

Tks,

Message 6 of 9
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, GPT is the correct choice.

The NAS "Format" function does not actually repartition the drive (to prevent accidental data loss), so what actually got formatted was probably the root or swap partition.

Message 7 of 9
JohnnyR2D2
Guide

What I know for sure is that after formatting the drive on Windows there is a folder there called System Volume Information. I probably need to plug this drive on Windows again and format it using Paragon Hard Disk Manager to see what happens because sometimes Windows create a small volume for system files when format and that could be confusing the NAS formatting? 

Message 8 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@JohnnyR2D2 wrote:

What I know for sure is that after formatting the drive on Windows there is a folder there called System Volume Information. I probably need to plug this drive on Windows again and format it using Paragon Hard Disk Manager to see what happens because sometimes Windows create a small volume for system files when format and that could be confusing the NAS formatting? 

Well, it's working ok now, so you could leave well enough alone.

The system volume folder is just a hidden system folder - its not a partition.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements