× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: USB Recovery

TehDags
Tutor

USB Recovery

Model: RNRX4410-100NAS (2100)

Looking for the process to boot this particular model to the USB for reccovery.

Before posting links, please make sure it has the information. I've looked over at least 35 articles over the last 3 hours and everyone always points to the same 4 articles that don't have the infromation needed.

This should be the correct article and indded does show you how to boot to the boot menu on the rackmount. However as you can see on the page there is no USB Boot option like many of the other models: https://kb.netgear.com/20898/ReadyNAS-ReadyDATA-Boot-Menu

I've also looked in the Manual (This also lists how to get to the boot menu but no USB option.) : http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/RackMount_HW_2June11.pdf

I've looked in the actual recovery documents for both the Os6: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#R...

Which tells you to use the "reset button" but that isn't how this model works. The "reset" button gets you to the boot menu.. but where do you go from here???

And the RAIDiator recorcy tool: https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool

Which has the same basic instructions of using "Reset" but not what to do after you get to the boot menu using "Reset".

Just showing i've done my research here and don't want the link champions coming in and pasting things that don't have the information. I'd REALLY Appreciate someone giving me the actual information as to do this really basic function that doens't appear to be documented anywhere.

Model: RNRX4410|ReadyNAS 2100 4TB (4 x 1TB Enterprise)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
TehDags
Tutor

Hopefully this will help more people. Even though this model is a rackmount. The reset button will only boot you to the boot menu. The "Backup" button is the button you want even though it has a reset button. Holding the backup button at power on for 10-15 seconds will cause it to boot to the USB.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@TehDags

Welcome to the Community!

You can use https://kb.netgear.com/30267/RAIDiator-4-2-USB-Recovery-Tool. All the information you need and what to look out for is mentioned on this KB article

Since your ReadyNAS 2100 is a rackmount type unit, you will have to check and rely  on your USB device LED indicator to be notified that the USB Recovery process has started since these units does not have VGA ports. You just need to press the Reset button for 15 seconds and the USB recovery should start automatically unless there is an issue with the USB or the Chassis, your unit will then automatically shutdown and that indicates that the USB recovery has been successful.

Please do note that if the unit did not shutdown few minutes after booting it on USB Recovery mode then the recovery process has failed and you might need to try a different set of USB so you may need to prepare a few USB drives in advance.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

So if this process is done on a rackmount unit without a VGA connection, there is no indication using the NAS LEDs?  You must rely on the USB device's access LED (assuming it is even equipped with one) to let you know anything is happeneing?  I can say nothing more than "poor design" and hope the user the best in performing this operation.

I do wonder, however, what drives the decision to do a USB recovery.  It's typically a last resort fix and can make things worse when done under the wrong circumstances..

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

I do wonder, however, what drives the decision to do a USB recovery.  It's typically a last resort fix and can make things worse when done under the wrong circumstances..

I'm wondering that also.

Perhaps @TehDags can follow up with more information on the problem he is trying to solve.

Message 4 of 12
TehDags
Tutor

I appreciate all the replies so far. The reset button press at power on only takes you to the boot menu. You have to do something at this point to initiate the USB boot? That is what i need. 

Please see this page to see what im talking about. From my previous post: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RNDU2000/RackMount_HW_2June11.pdf Page: 13 - Holding reset during power brings you here where you can do a normal boot, factory reset, OS reinstall, tech support, skip volume check, memory test, or disk test. I see on some models that the USB Recovery is an option here but i don't see it on this model. So it must be some kind of extra step of some sort?

The issue is that someone at some point has done a bad flash. I'm doing a last attempt to see if i can get it flashed correctly before recycling the unit.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@TehDags wrote:

The reset button press at power on only takes you to the boot menu. 

Did you hold the reset button for the full 15 seconds?

Message 6 of 12
TehDags
Tutor

Correct. After 10 seconds all lights come on, which is the indicator that it is on the boot menu. You can hold it for any amount of time after that (I've tried many intervals), and it just sits on the boot menu waiting for the boot selection.

Message 7 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

So you acquired the unit used and it has never run?  I wonder if somebody tried to upgrade to OS6, which will brick a 32-bit NAS like your 2100V1.  I'm unfamiliar with the exact symptoms of that bricking.

Before you reach that conclusion, though, have you tried other USB devices?  Some of the earlier NAS are quite particular about what devices they'll accept.  Basically, the older (and thus smaller), the better.

Message 8 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried this with a different thumb drive?  Many folks here have needed to try several drives before they found one that worked.  FWIW, older/smaller ones seem to work better.

Message 9 of 12
TehDags
Tutor

Hopefully this will help more people. Even though this model is a rackmount. The reset button will only boot you to the boot menu. The "Backup" button is the button you want even though it has a reset button. Holding the backup button at power on for 10-15 seconds will cause it to boot to the USB.

Message 10 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you said nothing else, can we assume your problem is fixed?

Sounds like you just went fishing and got lucky.  Good for you.  And thanks for sharing so others who need to know will have a place to find out.  Hopefully, Netgear will also update the documentation.

Message 11 of 12
TehDags
Tutor

Sorry about that, it is indeed fixed. Was able to get it to show in Raidar and setup/configure it after the USB flash.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements