× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB backup on OS 6.2.4 Ultra6 fails

Jophus
Luminary

USB backup on OS 6.2.4 Ultra6 fails

I am having difficulty with backing up my Ultra6 via USB to an external Seagate 4TB USB disk drive, namely:
  • USB backup to a specific USB port fails with "Backup: Error backup job '<sharename>': destination cannot be accessed."

• USB ports listed from the dropdown in backup configuration include "USB Back Top" and "USB Back Bottom" while the Ultra6 has USB Back Left and USB Back Right ports on the back

• The USB device have iterrated from USB_HDD_1 through to USB_HDD_3 (negating the solution to backup to the USB share)

Logs show the device is connected to:
usb_devices
    2-1 product=USB DISK idProduct=1000 idVendor=090c devnum=2 speed=480
    2-1:1.0
    2-2 product=Expansion Desk idProduct=3312 idVendor=0bc2 devnum=3 speed=480
    2-2:1.0
    7-0:1.0
    7-1 product=Back-UPS ES 550G FW:870.O3 .I USB FW:O3 idProduct=0002 idVendor=051d devnum=2 speed=1.5
    7-1:1.0

usb_storage
    *** Connected devices ***
    /dev/disk/external/3:-1:ST4000DM000-1F2168:Z3017Q3G:480:7814037160 -> ../../sdh

While the backup jobs configure themselves (in /etc/frontview/backup_jobs.conf) as (using USB Back Top, USB Front and USB Back Bottom):
    USB Back Top = dst: [usb:usb_port_3:3]/
    USB Front = dst: [usb:usb_port_3:1]/
    USB Back Bottom = dst: [usb:usb_port_3:4]/

Has anyone encountered this issue and solved it? I have the 4TB plugged into the Back Left port and a UPS plugged into the Back RIght port. Nothing plugged into the front port. I have not swapped or tested other ports yet but will do so this weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: USB backup on OS 6.2.4 Ultra6 fails

The port mapping for the Ultra 6 has been added to a future firmware release, but I cannot provide an ETA at this time.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You would need to configure the backup job to backup to e.g. USB_HDD_3 if that is the disk you wish to backup to.

We have not mapped the ports to e.g. USB Back Top.
Message 2 of 13
Jophus
Luminary

This solution only works while the disk remains in the NAS. When it is disconnected and reconnected it iterates to USB_HDD_4 etc and the backup jobs fail.

Any other thoughts?
Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The ports are mapped correctly for OS6 NAS units e.g. the 316.
Message 4 of 13
Jophus
Luminary

Thanks.

Does that mean the Ultra 6 and OS 6.2.4 has incorrectly mapped USB ports between frontview backup screen and the physical ports on the device?
Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well we haven't added the port mappings for the USB ports and considering the unsupported status of running OS6 on the Ultra 6, I can't see that changing.
Message 6 of 13
Jophus
Luminary

Thanks for your prompt responses. Very much appreciated.

To close this issue out, are you aware and could you provide me with a general direction to look towards, within the Frontview configuration files, as to where this mapping exists?
Message 7 of 13
Jophus
Luminary

Found similar thread..
Thanks for helping.

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=77555&start=45#p433310
Message 8 of 13
Jophus
Luminary

On restart I now have a USB_HDD_4 partition. It appears USB on my legacy Ultra 6 running OS 6.2.4 just won't elegantly handle USB backup.

I'll try the front port this evening but I am not holding any hope of it working. Will update in due course.
Message 9 of 13
Jophus
Luminary

To confirm, all legacy Ultra 6 USB 2.0 ports cannot be accessed in 6.2.4 via the "Back up to Front/Back Top/Back Bottom" ports.  Given the nature of the changing USB share name target, backing up to USB is not robust on this model.

Netgear, it would be greatly appreciated if the USB mapping on legacy products (e.g Ultra 6) were to be correctly implemented/mapped in the new 6.2.x and 6.3.x OS.

My solution was to buy a Readynas 102 2-bay, ARM-based NAS, install the external drive into it and backup over gigabit network using RSYNC.

Why?

• Ultra 6 has USB 2.0 ports (~28MB/s) while an RN102 connects via gigabit (41MB/s by my experience) AND has USB 3.0 ports
  • I appreciate the fact Netgear UNOFFICIALLY "SUPPORTS" (by this community and forum) the installation of 6.x onto legacy devices
  • BTFRS, snapshots and the improved OS6 interface are worth the price of losing direct USB 2.0 backup functionality
  • 2 bay NAS allows for onsite backup expansion as I expand the primary Ultra 6 NAS

At the end of the day the incorrect mapping led me to double down on 2nd Netgear ReadyNAS.  It would be greatly appreciated if Netgear could return the favour and map the ports on the Ultra 6 correctly.

Here's hoping!

Message 10 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The port mapping for the Ultra 6 has been added to a future firmware release, but I cannot provide an ETA at this time.

Message 11 of 13
Jophus
Luminary

Good to and look forward to seeing it in a future release!

Thanks

Message 12 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can try 6.4.0 beta.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation