× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB connected UPS

USB connected UPS

I have several SOHO clients using the ReadyNAS RN31200 with a USB connected UPS.  These UPSs used to work with onpremise Windows Servers and now just using them as battery backup for the NAS devices.

It seems that the ReadyNAS can only communicate to a ethernet enabled UPS. Is that correct?  Is there any way to have the NAS communicate to a SOHO-grade USB connected NAS when a power event occurs to have it power down gracefully?  If not then there is no point to use the UPS for battery backup. 

I have searched the web and there doesn't seem to be another solution.

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: USB connected UPS

@chickensoup wrote:

Thanks StepenB for the reply. So can you confirm that if a USB connected UPS has a power failure then the ReadyNAS will gracefully power down?   

The ReadyNAS has the NUT software (network ups tools) built in, and it will gracefully shut down when the NAS receives power-criticial from the UPS. 

You will also see the current UPS status on the UI (it should show UPS model, battery status, and whether you are using battery or not).  Loss of power is logged (and if the power outage doesn't drain the UPS battery, so is power restoration).

I use cyperpower myself, as Ian says APC is works and is popular.  You need to ensure you get a UPS with a USB cable, not one that uses the older serial link.  

See page 200-205 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@chickensoup wrote:

It seems that the ReadyNAS can only communicate to a ethernet enabled UPS. Is that correct?

No, it is not correct.  The ReadyNAS does support USB-connected UPS.  Mine are connected to CyberPower, many people use APC.

Message 2 of 6
ilneill
Apprentice

Hi

I do not have the same ReadyNAS as you, but I do have ReadyNAS Duos (v1), a ReadyNAS 102 and a ReadyNAS 204.

I have used Belkin and APC UPS's (home-office grade) with them, all via USB, and then shared via ethernet from 1 NAS to the others. It really has just worked out of the box! The only issue I have ever had has been some finger trouble on my part, and once that was sorted (and I had scolded myself suitably), it was perfect.

Ping me if you need more information.

Ian

Message 3 of 6

Thanks StepenB for the reply. So can you confirm that if a USB connected UPS has a power failure then the ReadyNAS will gracefully power down?   Do you not have to install any software on the ReadyNAS to monitor this? Sure there has to be some UPS specific software loaded at some point? Otherwise how does the NAS detect the power down signal?

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@chickensoup wrote:

Thanks StepenB for the reply. So can you confirm that if a USB connected UPS has a power failure then the ReadyNAS will gracefully power down?   

The ReadyNAS has the NUT software (network ups tools) built in, and it will gracefully shut down when the NAS receives power-criticial from the UPS. 

You will also see the current UPS status on the UI (it should show UPS model, battery status, and whether you are using battery or not).  Loss of power is logged (and if the power outage doesn't drain the UPS battery, so is power restoration).

I use cyperpower myself, as Ian says APC is works and is popular.  You need to ensure you get a UPS with a USB cable, not one that uses the older serial link.  

See page 200-205 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

Message 5 of 6

That's exactly what I needed to see. Thanks for that detailed reply. I will try it out!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements