× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB drive not seen by frontview shares

NickHark1
Aspirant

USB drive not seen by frontview shares

I need help getting an external USB work correctly on my NV+.

One USB drive, seen as a “Generic External [Partition 1]”, and that had worked for several months.

My FrontView (Radar 4.1.7) sees the drive in Volumes >> USB Storage Devices, but
Cannot see the drive in Shares >> Share Listing. It says “No USB shares exist.”

Ever time I reinstall the firmware the names change so I have to change the USB names back to how the backups are set to change them back.

I ultimately use two USB drives and a UPS but it has been problematic.

How do I get this to work?
Message 1 of 2
NickHark1
Aspirant

Re: USB drive not seen by frontview shares

I solved my problem.

Here is the method I used:
• Re-installed the firmware without either USB drive connected and without the UPS connected.
• Connected the troublesome USB drive and it still didn’t appear in Shares although it did in Volumes.
• Changed the drive name in Volumes from USB_BTV_BU to USB_BTV.
• Radar’ed back in and the drive appeared in Shares and Volumes. ( I didn't have to reboot the ReadyNas.)
• Connected the 2nd drive and it appeared in Shares and Volumes.
• Changed the backup job to reflect the new name of the 1st USB drive.
• Plugged in the UPS into the front USB port.
• Did not restore settings from the latest backup, but created the configuration manually, then I backed up the configuration.

Overnight, everything appears where it should be and Rsync is on for the USB drives.

The backup using the troubled USB started on time and it is continuing nicely.

The Readynas NV+ clearly doesn’t handle USB drives very well, since I have encountered this difficulty over the last several months but was not able to come up with a plan to deal with it, until now. Past difficulties using the USB drives included Radar indicating that the volumes were 0 yet the data was all there. Zero size USB drives, etc… Strange.

Hope this helps anyone still utilizing the ReadyNAS NV+.

Nick
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements