× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB drive shared from RN214 with DLNA - how to give access without login?

Toronto_User
Aspirant

USB drive shared from RN214 with DLNA - how to give access without login?

My ReadyNAS 214 (lastes OS) has a 3TB hard disk attached via USB 3.0. The disk contains video files. I want to make it available to users on my network using DLNA. On a DLNA device, I can see the USB drive but only at its root level. I can't gain access to any of the folders or subfolders without having to enter a user ID and password. I geta message telling me that this is required for SMB authorization. I can open the folders with a valid user ID and password, bug I still have to go through the same authorization process with each successive subfolder and each file. I have set user access from the web interface to give all users complete access for reading and writing.

Obviously I'm missing something here. I've turned on DLNA for the USB disk. Should I also turn on anonymous access for that drive? Anyone got any suggestions?

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Toronto_User
Aspirant

Re: USB drive shared from RN214 with DLNA - how to give access without login?

Problem solved - all I had to do was turn “Anonymous Login” for the USB disk. Tout va bien maintenant.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Toronto_User wrote:

On a DLNA device, I can see the USB drive but only at its root level. I can't gain access to any of the folders or subfolders without having to enter a user ID and password. I geta message telling me that this is required for SMB authorization.

It sounds like the "DLNA Device" isn't using DLNA.

Can you give us more info on what it is? 

Message 2 of 4
Toronto_User
Aspirant

Problem solved - all I had to do was turn “Anonymous Login” for the USB disk. Tout va bien maintenant.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Toronto_User wrote:

Still, your solution means the player wasn't using DLNA - it was using SMB. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements